Value of: Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
I could see him wanting out honestly. He wants to much ice time for himself, more than hes getting and we need more for the other guys. What teams would be interested in acquiring him?

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Is there any team with the cap space to take on his contract (long term) and willing and able to give up the pieces for him?

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
He's up there in age, but just had a career year. I think it'd take a lot to pry him from the Wild.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I could see him wanting out honestly. He wants to much ice time for himself, more than hes getting and we need more for the other guys. What teams would be interested in acquiring him?

Insert him into the sabres line up this year and I'd bet we make the playoffs and take that next step. That being said we don't have the expendable assets or long term cap space for him soooo

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
this is madness.

IF he wanted out for the reasons speculated in the OP it'd be a team that A) has the cap space, B) is a perennial playoff team, and C) doesn't have enough quality defensemen to keep his minutes under 25 a night, and D) has one hell of a package to throw minnesota's way without wrecking their team.

GOOD LUCK. Not even worth thinking about.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You're forgetting about the recapture penalty the Wild will face if he retires. They'll just LTIR him and keep paying him. Only way he leaves is if he demands it (NMC) and threatens retirement.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
You're forgetting about the recapture penalty the Wild will face if he retires. They'll just LTIR him and keep paying him. Only way he leaves is if he demands it (NMC) and threatens retirement.

It's not just that easy, as LTIR him....

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Not available and I highly doubt he'd want out since Minnesota is the nearest team to Madison that doesn't have cap issues (Chicago).

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Suter for Weber or Subban.

I can't see trade coming, but you never know.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's not just that easy, as LTIR him....

His recapture is around $6.5m the during last few years of his contract. They'd give Toyna Harding a call to make it LTIR. :sarcasm: That being said, I can see him playing until he's 40. His game looks so effortless and isn't really physical (not meant as an insult to him).

His contract twin, Parise, will defiantly get LTIR at some point. Most back issues never really go away.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
From what I remember he seemed to have teased Nashville a lot about coming back.

And? It's free agency...saying he's not coming back could hurt his negotiating position. His contract was done...he owed Nashville nothing. The fact he is still booed there is laughable.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
From what I remember he seemed to have teased Nashville a lot about coming back.

I don't remember that with Suter at all. I remember Devils fans going crazy about Parise saying he's going to stay and then he left. Definitely not Suter though.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Suter for Weber or Subban.

I can't see trade coming, but you never know.

I know for sure it wouldn't happen for Subban. Suter burned the bridge back to Nashville. He can visit on the nights the Wild play here and then during the off season if he wants. Besides, right now the Preds top 4 is balanced with RHD and LHD. Trading Subban for Suter would be stupid for any number of reasons, but if it weren't it would be stupid to throw that balance off.

And? It's free agency...saying he's not coming back could hurt his negotiating position. His contract was done...he owed Nashville nothing. The fact he is still booed there is laughable.

I'm glad you get a laugh out of it.

I'm not one who booes him, but if you can't see how he left a sour taste in the mouths of the fans and of the management I can't help you. He dragged it along, letting Poile believe that any offer from another team could be matched by Nashville, and then didn't allow for that. Sure, he owed Nashville nothing. Sure, it was free agency and business. He was still dishonest about it because he wasn't strong enough to just say, "I'm leaving." He's one of those people who is burdened with the weakness of wanting everyone to like him, and because of that he was a dishonest person.

There were other teams in on him, specifically Detroit. Saying he wasn't going back to Nashville would have hurt his negotiating position? Saying that is laughable, and it ignores all of the context of the time. Leipold is a stupid enough business man to greenlight that contract even if no one else was in on him. In fact, there wasn't even any negotiation from what I recall. They offered he and Parise the same deals, and after a couple of days they both signed. The only thing that could have hurt his negotiating position would have been for him to say, "I'm definitely signing in Minnesota," thus keeping other teams from trying, potentially. He didn't have to be dishonest to Nashville about it in order to protect his leverage. That's a cop out.

At any rate, there is no way Nashville would be open to trading for Suter at the moment, not that Minnesota is interested in shopping him anyway.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is the Wild's best player, is likely to be their best player for a few years more, and will still be an effective player into his mid/late 30's. Especially if the coaching staff wise up and reduces his minutes from 28-29/ night down to 23-24/night. Throw in the recapture penalty and a NMC and you have to realize that a trade is highly unlikely.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

He told Poile, up until the very end, that his preference was to stay in Nashville...when DP asked flat out, "do I need to be exploring other options in free agency," Suter said that he shouldn't do that, to keep a spot open for him. He said that he wouldn't sign anywhere without running it by Nashville one last time to see if it was a deal they could match. That didn't happen....they didn't know he was going with Minnesota until the deal was announced the morning of July 4.

Poile has only publically lost his cool twice, in the history of this franchise...both times (Suter, Vesey) were instances in which he felt that his trust had been violated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad