Player Discussion Ryan Reaves and Calle Jarnkrok

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm doing a thread on both of them because it feels like their spots aren't as secure as it was last year.

Not only is there a new coach which could make their spots less secure but it also feels like there are more younger guys pushing for spots.

Alex Nylander is coming in on an AHL deal, he's going to be looking for an NHL contract.

Fraser Minten made the team last year, he's going to be looking to make it again and this time stick.

Easton Cowan had a great camp last year, then he dominated the OHL, he's pushing for a spot.

I'm not convinced Dewar has a spot locked in.

I'm betting there will be a PTO or 2 there always is.

It feels like a couple vets could be playing for their jobs, and I wonder if those Vets are Reaves and Jarnkrok.

Reactions: arso40

Bellzy

It was 4-1 finally has better meaning….
Jun 30, 2018
I'm doing a thread on both of them because it feels like their spots aren't as secure as it was last year.

Not only is there a new coach which could make their spots less secure but it also feels like there are more younger guys pushing for spots.

Alex Nylander is coming in on an AHL deal, he's going to be looking for an NHL contract.

Fraser Minten made the team last year, he's going to be looking to make it again and this time stick.

Easton Cowan had a great camp last year, then he dominated the OHL, he's pushing for a spot.

It feels like a couple vets could be playing for their jobs, and I wonder if those Vets are Reaves and Jarnkrok.
I feel like REAVES will play really well under burebe system. Not sure about jarnkrok

Reactions: banks and Cams

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Minten and Nylander are easily dealt with, both will be Marlies as it stands now.
IMO Reaves is secure, Jarnkrok can be moved for a pick or two.

Reactions: Cams

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Reaves is scary all right.

It scares the hell out of his teammates whenever he's on the ice. The idea Reaves has any positive effect on an NHL game is crap. This guy is garbage at hockey.

He's arguably the worst player in the league.

Replacement level junk. Someone who makes the team better whenever he's NOT on the ice. The only reason he wasn't press boxed permanently was because Keefe had no choice but play him.

Because Treliving signed him to such an awesome deal.

Touting how he'll intimidate players on the other team makes this a total fail. His death stares from the bench during the Boston series had them quivering with a pool of yellow ice beneath their skates. Lol... the effect of scaring the opponent was SO strong they had more shots, scoring chances, and goals whenever he was on the ice.

Even if someone needed to be removed in a body bag there are still other guys that can do the same job with more talent than Reaves.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC

It scares the hell out of his teammates whenever he's on the ice. The idea Reaves has any positive effect on an NHL game is crap. This guy is garbage at hockey.

Replacement level junk. Someone who makes the team better whenever he's NOT on the ice. The only reason he wasn't press boxed permanently was because Keefe had no choice but play him.

Touting how he'll intimidate players on the other team makes this a total fail. His death stares from the bench during the Boston series had them quivering with a pool of yellow ice beneath their skates. Lol... the effect of scaring the opponent was SO strong they had more shots, scoring chances, and goals whenever he was on the ice.

Even if someone needed to be removed in a body bag there are still other guys that can do the same job with more talent than Reaves.
Reported

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax

There’s a lot worse players than Reaves. Ross Johnston, Liam O’Brien, Nick Deslaurier plus just about any tweener.

Advanced stats tell us he’s also about an average skater in the league despite his age and size. He was hurt to start the year. He’s been a serviceable 4th liner his entire career and was at the end of this year too.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We couldn't rid ourselves of Marner so now people are instead sold on the idea of gutting our bottom 6 and replacing them with 19 year olds and AHLers? I'm sure that'll work just great.

Is not about gutting the bottom 6 but if a prospect earns a spot, then he should get the spot like Knies did.

I'm a fan of Jarnkrok, but if Easton Cowan comes to camp and is clearly better than Jarnkrok then Easton Cowan should play, that would also clear up over a million in cap space for things like callups, deadline moves etc.

I'm rooting for anything that makes the team better not specific players.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Minten and Nylander are easily dealt with, both will be Marlies as it stands now.
IMO Reaves is secure, Jarnkrok can be moved for a pick or two.

Eh maybe, maybe not. Minten made it last year and is a year further in his development. I get he’s AHL-eligible and, I’ve said this before, but I think there’s an entirely arguable perspective that Minten could be better served developing the NHL where there is more structure vs the AHL

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Eh maybe, maybe not. Minten made it last year and is a year further in his development. I get he’s AHL-eligible and, I’ve said this before, but I think there’s an entirely arguable perspective that Minten could be better served developing the NHL where there is more structure vs the AHL
Yep. I was referring to the two of them not having to go through waivers, that's the easiest path for the team.

Reactions: arso40 and Sypher04

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Jarnkrok is a solid middle six player who gives you 15-20 goals while being decent defensively, can PK a bit and brings an element of speed. It's good value for 2 million, except..

He becomes completely useless once the playoffs start. 5G 22Pts in 93 career playoff GP. His main value is as a secondary scorer, but the playoff production is almost comically bad. It's offensive black hole - 10 minute a night - 4th liner level, except he is used as a secondary scorer and 2nd PP guy.

Makes no sense to keep him around. Let someone else develop in that role. You can pick up waiver fodder that can give you more than he does come playoff time.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Jarnkrok is a solid middle six player who gives you 15-20 goals while being decent defensively, can PK a but and brings an event of speed. It's good value for 2 million, except..

He becomes completely useless once the playoffs start. 5G 22Pts in 93 career playoff GP. His main value is as a secondary scorer, but the playoff production is almost comically bad. It's offensive black hole - 10 minute a night - 4th liner level, except he is used as a secondary scorer and 2nd PP guy.

Makes no sense to keep him around. Let someone else develop in that role. You can pick up waiver fodder that can give you more than he does come playoff time.

Agreed. I think he’s a player Treliving will change out when the right opportunity presents itself, sooner than later if he can’t secure a top 9 forward spot. His replacement must PK though.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
To be fair though, that took an amazing pre-season from Minten and he looked completely overwhelmed in a 3rd line role. With Kampf not being moved and Holmberg showing well in the back half of last season, I don't see Minten having any sort of inside track for a spot.

I also think Minten really needs to work on his puck carrying skills / playmaking if he wants to hack it as more than a fourth line centre in the NHL, it would be good if he can build up some confidence in the AHL. Maybe he finds a connection with Alex Nylander

Reactions: hamzarocks

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Doesn't appear that they tried or that they intend to.
Oh.. did you expect Tree to announce on national TV that Marner refused to waive? Sounds like a genius idea to do before going into a season in Torontos market.

Its ridiculous to be of the opinion that Tree doesnt wa t to trade him... if they didnt, they wouldve added some water to the rumors of Marner being traded. And gave Marner some relief from rhe attenrion he obviously hates (see banning Leaf questions from charity event). Instead Tre added a bit of fuel with his comments. Yep cerrainly seems like a good approach to keeping a player.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Oh.. did you expect Tree to announce on national TV that Marner refused to waive? Sounds like a genius idea to do before going into a season in Torontos market.

Its ridiculous to be of the opinion that Tree doesnt wa t to trade him... if they didnt, they wouldve added some water to the rumors of Marner being traded. And gave Marner some relief from rhe attenrion he obviously hates (see banning Leaf questions from charity event). Instead Tre added a bit of fuel with his comments. Yep cerrainly seems like a good approach to keeping a player.

I actually support that decision in this context, given the negativity surrounding the team and the player.

Not the time or place for it imo.
The media should understand this but i have no doubt that they would have made a circus of things if not told they can’t asked about Leafs/hockey.

Always keep the focus on the charity

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Jankrok Kampf and Robertson are 3 guys who I think Leafs are looking at moving .. none of them move da needle much anyways esp in playoff hockey ... but even with them out not much is changing regarding this team in playoffs without major reconstruction surgery

Reactions: notdoneyet

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
Is not about gutting the bottom 6 but if a prospect earns a spot, then he should get the spot like Knies did.

I'm a fan of Jarnkrok, but if Easton Cowan comes to camp and is clearly better than Jarnkrok then Easton Cowan should play, that would also clear up over a million in cap space for things like callups, deadline moves etc.

I'm rooting for anything that makes the team better not specific players.
I agree, I just doubt it will happen. Id love for him to prove me wrong, but I suspect that he will need another year before he can steal a spot on the roster. At least the 25/26 season looks promising if our youngsters continue to improve while also getting JT (and perhaps MM) off the books.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Reaves is going to be a lock for the lineup until he's absolutely unable to keep playing. Tre didn't give him that contract to not dress him

Reactions: banks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Jarnkrok plays on the PK, and does a reasonable job of it. He'll be hard to push out of the lineup.

That being said, there is some competition for spots this year, that much is for sure.

Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander, Knies, Domi should be the top six.

From there, we have McMann, Jarnkrok, Kampf, Dewar, Holmberg, Robertson**, Cowan, Reaves, Grebyonkin, Minten, Steeves, Pare all hoping to grab a spot in the bottom six... that's 12 bodies looking at six spots... not a bad thing. If someone is outcompeted, so be it....

Reactions: banks

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Reaves is filler.
Jarnkrok is the type of bottom 6 NHL coaches love to have on their team. Pretty sure Chief will love him too, he's just gotta have a healthy season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Jarnkrok plays on the PK, and does a reasonable job of it. He'll be hard to push out of the lineup.

That being said, there is some competition for spots this year, that much is for sure.

Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander, Knies, Domi should be the top six.

From there, we have McMann, Jarnkrok, Kampf, Dewar, Holmberg, Robertson**, Cowan, Reaves, Grebyonkin, Minten, Steeves, Pare all hoping to grab a spot in the bottom six... that's 12 bodies looking at six spots... not a bad thing. If someone is outcompeted, so be it....

I would prefer Domi in the top 6 too, but if you put him there then who is your #3 center?

That's why I think you see McMann start in the top 6.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would prefer Domi in the top 6 too, but if you put him there then who is your #3 center?

That's why I think you see McMann start in the top 6.
I didn't intend a reflection of lineups, as much as who the top six players are.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,594.00