Player Discussion Ryan Reaves and Calle Jarnkrok

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I feel like the OP is seriously underating Jarnkrok. He's safely a top 9 talent. Big 4, Knies and Domi. I cannot name 3 other forwards ahead that do not require break out seasons. Reeves I can see replacing.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Ryan Reaves is gonna be 38 this season and can barely move. No one is scared of him and he's a flat out liability putting him on ice. Honestly should be buried in the AHL.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Jarnkrok reminds me of that quiet kid in high school.

For the most part everyone liked him. He could sit at the cool kids table or the headbangers table. That's because nobody gave a shit about him either.

No different than Jarnkrok here in Toronto.

A good middle six player who fans almost never talk about. Because he doesn't do anything to stand out. He's a plain vanilla hockey player who's best quality is that he doesn't screw up enough for the fans to hate on him.

I can't even remember the name of that kid that would sit at our table every now and then.

He was forgettable in almost every way except one. I always figured even if you couldn't count on hm to have your back that at minimum he wasn't gonna start anything himself. Exactly like an unremarkable Calle Jarnkrok on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Someone else who's name I won't remember in a few more years either.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Ryan Reaves is gonna be 38 this season and can barely move. No one is scared of him and he's a flat out liability putting him on ice. Honestly should be buried in the AHL.
Down the stretch playing 9 minutes a night he was very effective last season.

Reactions: Bejeezus

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There's no reason that Jarnkrok would be playing for his job.
Reaves shouldn't have even had one last year.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Down the stretch playing 9 minutes a night he was very effective last season.

Played poorly in the playoffs, unfortunately...

I was hard on him at the start of the year, but after his injury, he looked good.

I just think if we can upgrade on him, we should.

He also just doesn't fit on a 4th line that is used more as a shutdown line than a bruising line.

Ideally, he is pushed out and Holmberg or Jarnkrok goes to line 4.

I think a 4th line of Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok could be pretty effective as a shutdown line that can occasionally threaten offensively.

Assuming Robertson comes back, we may see this.

Also, having him around is a big time deterrent to rats and pests out there to go after Matthews etc. He will pummel a clown , we just don't need him to do it often.

Reaves doesn't fight middleweights/people who bother Matthews, that seems to be Domi, if anyone.

I don't think Reaves deters anyone from doing anything, to be honest.

If he plays like he did in the 2nd half of the season he is not a liability at least, so I don't mind him playing sub 10 minutes a night, but it is not ideal.

On a side note I just wished Reeves wore a visor like most of the guys he fights.
CAN YOU IMAGINE fighting Reeves with half his face shielded....terrifying

I don't think fighting with a visor is an advantage.

It can break and cause some serious damage, but also, just for visibility/movement, I feel like getting a shield punched into your face constantly is not great.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I don't think Reaves deters anyone from doing anything, to be honest.
That's the thing about a good deterrent, we will never know because they've done their job. I guarantee you there have been times last season where players thought about mangling Matthews or running the goalie and then saw Reaves on the other bench and realized he would push their poo in if that occured. The payback that comes after attempts to injure can occur at any random time. Immediately jumping and getting the instigator like Domi did was to send a message but the real fear is from getting tombstoned to the ice by Reavo.

I saw him tune up Jeannot last season at Scotiabank in the same game Willy got run over and then floated the rest of the game. The fight may or may not have been due to Nylander getting run over but it sent a message IMO.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When the going gets rough , count on Dekes to want Dewar in the lineup over the toughest player in the league.
When we need better depth, count on this board to still want a liability on the ice instead of an NHL player, because they somehow still believe he'll deter something.
Quite frankly, I'd rather not have either in the lineup, but at least Dewar adds something positive.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
When we need better depth, count on this board to still want a liability on the ice instead of an NHL player, because they somehow still believe in the deterrent myth.
Quite frankly, I'd rather not have either in the lineup, but at least Dewar adds something positive.
I agree on that to a degree. But say in some random twist of fate we end up playing the Rangers and Matt Rempe and Jacob Trouba in a playoffs series. Are we deploying Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok or Jarnkrok-Kampf-Reaves? Because the difference in Corsi isn't going to make up for what those two NYR players will do to our lineup with no push back.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That's the thing about a good deterrent, we will never know because they've done their job. I guarantee you there have been times last season where players thought about mangling Matthews or running the goalie and then saw Reaves on the other bench and realized he would push their poo in if that occured. The payback that comes after attempts to injure can occur at any random time. Immediately jumping and getting the instigator like Domi did was to send a message but the real fear is from getting tombstoned to the ice by Reavo.

I guarantee there were no times when someone thought those things and got scared and stopped.

Goons very rarely go after star players or anyone below their weight class.

Reaves talking about doing something with Marchand and doing nothing is your example of him not being a deterrent, those situations happen, and he is all bark.

Domi is the real deterrent because he is a lunatic, Reaves plays his role, he doesn't step outside of it, and his role is to bring energy when needed, I'd just rather a good player in his spot instead.

I saw him tune up Jeannot last season at Scotiabank in the same game Willy got run over and then floated the rest of the game. The fight may or may not have been due to Nylander getting run over but it sent a message IMO.

Considering Jeannot challenged Reaves, I'd say your theory is wrong.

And another example of him doing nothing when a star gets abused, and him not being a deterrent.

I think Reaves has some value, but only if he can also play hockey, I think his value is limited on a shutdown line as well.

I'd rather they re-sign Robertson, push Reaves out of the lineup, and run an actual shutdown line.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I guarantee there were no times when someone thought those things and got scared and stopped.

Screenshot_2024-08-16-02-13-59~2.png

Considering Jeannot challenged Reaves, I'd say your theory is wrong.

And another example of him doing nothing when a star gets abused, and him not being a deterrent.

But he did do something after Nylander got abused. He beat the shit out of Tampa's enforcer who was then cap dumped weeks later.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

You made a claim that can't be proven, I did the same.

But he did do something after Nylander got abused. He beat the shit out of Tampa's enforcer who was then cap dumped weeks later.

He didn't initiate anything... Jeannot getting beat up was not a response to anything other than Jeannot asking for it.

His being a cap dump has to do with him sucking, just like Reaves is a cap dump at this point.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I agree on that to a degree. But say in some random twist of fate we end up playing the Rangers and Matt Rempe and Jacob Trouba in a playoffs series. Are we deploying Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok or Jarnkrok-Kampf-Reaves?
You play the better player, play your game, and focus on winning instead of hits and punches. If your opponent plays bad players, you exploit it, like Boston did with Reaves.
I saw him tune up Jeannot last season at Scotiabank in the same game Willy got run over
Wow, so you're saying he wasn't deterred from running over Willy? Who would have thought!?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There were a few games last year, where our players got hurt on dirty aggressive plays, and Reaves did absolutely nothing in those games. I get the perceived deterrent, but Reaves didn't actually do anything, in games he should have. Perhaps someone else can post the specifics, though I do recall there were two instances in particular... Florida Nylander was crosschecked... and one was Boston where Marchand injured Liljegren. Was there a deterrent then? Was there any response... NO.

In order to be a deterrent, there has to be a response when necessary. There was no response, on multiple occasions when necessary. I'm all for a deterrent, but it doesn't appear he actually was one.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You made a claim that can't be proven, I did the same.

He didn't initiate anything... Jeannot getting beat up was not a response to anything other than Jeannot asking for it.

His being a cap dump has to do with him sucking, just like Reaves is a cap dump at this point.
We will have to agree to disagree on the enforcer roll then man because even I wanted Reaves gone at some point but he proved his worth , was able to play a decent shift in the 2nd half as another poster mentioned and I was seeing myself and Matthews seems to love the guy on the team so I'd be surprised if his veteran contract gets dumped or bought out because it saves us nothing financially.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
There were a few games last year, where our players got hurt on dirty aggressive plays, and Reaves did absolutely nothing in those games. I get the perceived deterrent, but Reaves didn't actually do anything, in games he should have. Perhaps someone else can post the specifics, though I do recall there were two instances in particular... Florida Nylander was crosschecked... and one was Boston where Marchand injured Liljegren. Was there a deterrent then? Was there any response... NO.

In order to be a deterrent, there has to be a response when necessary. There was no response, on multiple occasions when necessary. I'm all for a deterrent, but it doesn't appear he actually was one.

Domi is the real person teams need to watch out for, he is similar to Tie in the sense he will throw cheap shots to get back at people, and he is a headcase.

I like him because he can also play the game.

We will have to agree to disagree on the enforcer roll then man because even I wanted Reaves gone at some point but he proved his worth , was able to play a decent shift in the 2nd half as another poster mentioned and I was seeing myself and Matthews seems to love the guy on the team so I'd be surprised if his veteran scontract gets dumped or bought out because it saves us nothing financially.

I'm just looking to improve on "decent shift".

He doesn't fit well with Dewar/Kampf, someone like Jarnkrok would be a better player there, they would be a shutdown line that you can trust a lot more than one with Reaves.

Matthews loves Marner more. Are you going to start advocating for him?

I think Reaves should be the 13th forward if we have space and otherwise in the minors, I just want to ice the best team and don't think he fits on it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Domi is the real person teams need to watch out for, he is similar to Tie in the sense he will throw cheap shots to get back at people, and he is a headcase.

I like him because he can also play the game.

I'm just looking to improve on "decent shift".

He doesn't fit well with Dewar/Kampf, someone like Jarnkrok would be a better player there, they would be a shutdown line that you can trust a lot more than one with Reaves.

Matthews loves Marner more. Are you going to start advocating for him?

I think Reaves should be the 13th forward if we have space and otherwise in the minors, I just want to ice the best team and don't think he fits on it.

Zero response from our team on this. Embarrassing.

Reaves, you had one job.... and failure, outright failure... and this wasn't the only occasion.

How is it Marchand wasn't deterred from doing this? Anyone? Deterrent my ass.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I just want to ice best team and don't think he fits on it.
You do realize the new coach Berube fought every goon in the NHL during the golden age of enforcers right? Including beating up his boss Shanahan and Max's Dad when he was at his most dangerous. He will be quite pleased to be able to have a body like Reaves sitting in the press box in case he needs to deploy him when the time comes.

Zero response from our team on this. Embarrassing.

Reaves, you had one job.... and failure, outright failure... and this wasn't the only occasion.

How is it Marchand wasn't deterred from doing this? Anyone? Deterrent my ass.

My theory is that no one respected Lilijgren's spot in the lineup at the time to take action. He's not Matthews which Domi was right to take an instigator for and he's bottom pairing taking vets iceitme. This is a valid point but you don't stand up for spare parts early in the season. Reaves took his flack and stepped up his game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You do realize the new coach Berube fought every goon in the NHL during the golden age of enforcers right? Including beating up his boss Shanahan and Max's Dad when he was at his most dangerous. He will be quite pleased to be able to have a body like Reaves sitting in the press box in case he needs to deploy him when the time comes.

My theory is that no one respected Lilijgren's spot in the lineup at the time to take action. He's not Matthews which Domi was right to take an instigator for and he's bottom pairing taking vets iceitme. This is a valid point but you don't stand up for spare parts early in the season. Reaves took his flack and stepped up his game.
...and a few games later, against Florida... Nylander was crosschecked... and no response there either.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. You stand up for your team, at any point, no matter who it is. Don't F with my team.

We are talking about Reaves here.... It's not like he was even playing well at that point, he was pure trash. So what if he gets a suspension, it's not like that would even hurt the team.

He was signed for one purpose, and repeatedly failed to do his job.

Sorry, not a deterrent.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
...and a few games later, against Florida... Nylander was crosschecked... and no response there either.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. You stand up for your team, at any point, no matter who it is. Don't F with my team.
Agreed 👍

We are talking about Reaves here.... It's not like he was even playing well at that point, he was pure trash. So what if he gets a suspension, it's not like that would even hurt the team.

He was signed for one purpose, and repeatedly failed to do his job.

Sorry, not a deterrent.
Berube would make sure this wasn't the case. That's the thing , the team dynamic and unity has always been weird. The revolving door support cast seems to be the reason for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad