Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Thread Part III - O'Reilly SIGNS 2 yrs 12M (6M AAV) - No Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnaby_Joe*

To be fair, when Duchene signed his contract the cap was 63.3M I believe. That would mean his contract was 9.33% of the cap. That, today would be worth 6.4M+ (Under 6.5M though) & RoR will surely bring up his defensive abilities.

To everyone else, I don't know what the arb will decide.. but based on the fact that his last contract was 5M... Signed by the Avs, as an RFA - and the improvement in his game - I don't think it'd be unreasonable to see a cap hit around 6.5M. I think it would be, at the very least, 6M.

What are your thoughts on the reward (assuming it gets there), if not 6.5M?

$6M tops, maybe $6.25M.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Taylor Hall signed his contract in the summer of 2012. At the time he was coming off 61GP - 53P season, and had never played more than 65GP in his career. If RoR can convince the arbitrator that he is better defensively (or at least used more often in a defensive role), I do not see why he wouldn't be awarded more. This is just all speculation until it goes to arbitration (if it does) anyway.

The cap hit of UFA Patrice Bergeron's 8 year extension starting from this coming season is $6.5M. He's won two Selkes and a Cup. Their offensive numbers were a wash this season.

I figure this is a player camp O'Reilly would like to use as a comparable but that isn't going to work.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Couldnt they do a ROR for Kane and still be able to sign Staal next year?

Possibly, but the Avs couldn't sign Ehrhoff, Niskanen, ORPIK :amazed:, etc this year and ended up having to trade for Stuart. Waiting for a FA versus getting an inside track on one seems to have its merits more and more these last few years.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I wonder what it would cost to get Pavelski out of SJ. Considering he's signed at 6mil for 5 more years he'd fit right in and is better than ROR. Could it happen and what would we need to add?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Can someone bring me up to speed on why there are concerns about Kane's attitude/locker room presence? I don't follow the behind the scenes stuff, I've only watched him play.

It's obvious based on what he says that he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg. Some speculate it's because he wants to be on a winning team, but others speculate that he just wants to go somewhere where he can party hard.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well I personally think our team lacks swag, and Kane brings plenty of it.

Mack begs to differ. He's got plenty of swag, and just the right kind too. Kane seems to have a bit too much swag, and the wrong kind.

Mack is team focused. Kane is more focused on himself it seems.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From the last thread:

Foppa2118 said:
I wonder if they could have a nice open conversation at the last minute if final offers fall through?

Sakic could say something like, "look, we both know where we stand in relation to $6M being the max. We have a disagreement on whether it's fair to use $6.5m as a starting point, and that's ok. You can elect for a one year deal, and if the arbitrator comes back at $6M or under, we'll match that on a medium length contract when you can re-sign in January."

"This will allow you to have UFA rights while you're still relatively young in 4-5 years. If they come back and offer closer to $5.5M, we'll still give you the $6M AAV on our final offer."

"If they come back and determine your salary should be north of the $6M, we'll find a team that is willing to accommodate your long term salary requests."

Sounds relatively fair, and open and honest to me. Just put all the cards on the table.

Freaudian said:
Why would O'Reilly do that? If Stastny gets $7M as a UFA, O'Reilly will easily get that. Especially since no team (except Avs) let their talented players go to market.

He'd do it because he wants to resign with the Avalanche for a fair salary, not get absolute top dollar UFA prices that he hasn't earned yet. A 3rd party arbiter telling him what his market value is should help realign his perception of what he's worth.

If O'Reilly has his sights set on getting $7M and won't budge, he's going to be playing for another team. That should be pretty obvious.

He's not a UFA. He doesn't get to command the same price Stastny did on the open market, because he's two years away. The only reason the market value for UFA's is so much higher is because there's potentially 30 teams driving the price up. RFA's only have one team to negotiate with. If RFA's get to command UFA prices it defeats the entire purpose of them being RFA's.

If he doesn't want to take a $6M AAV long term, then he can politely decline the offer, and they'll trade him. No bid deal, and having that kind of honest discussion allows them to understand each other without hard feelings from either side.

That's why it's a cut and dry discussion. The idea is that he thinks he's worth more than $6M. So if a 3rd party arbitrator comes in and says otherwise, it realistically should tell him he's asking for too much. If he's approaching it strictly from a business standpoint, this should get him to see reality a bit more and sign for less.

If not, he's got his eyes set on a number that's above market value, and he doesn't care what everybody else thinks market value is. In that case, there's no chance he resigns with the Avs, and they move him.

That's the point of having an open discussion, and letting a 3rd party determine his value. It takes any element of the Avs low balling him out of the equation. They have a difference of opinion on his market value, and he wouldn't be able to view it as them undervaluing him any more. He'll realize his demands are higher than market value in that case.

If the arbiter comes back with a number higher than $6M AAV, he'll realize he was right, but the Avs have their own internal structure and can't match that so they'll find a team that can.

If he turns down this deal, the Avs go through with arbitration with the plans of trading him no matter what, because he's not interested in what is market value, he's interested in getting a specific number and will wait until he's a UFA to get it if need be. It makes everything clear as day.

Tweaky said:
So the Avs should be like "if the arbitrator comes back with low or middling salary, we want you to sign for term, but if he comes back saying we are being stingy, then goodbye and let's see what we can get?"

Fair would be agreeing to taking the one year deal and an extension stipulating a 3% annual raise for the length of the contract, regardless of the length or base salary (~$61m over the 8 following years, or $25.9m over 4, using $6m for net year as base).

Otherwise, sign the long term deal before, or do the negotiating after the arbitrator's decision. I am betting on option 2, with arbitrator ruling $5.75m for one year, or $12m for 2y.

Your whole interpretation of "fair" is predicated on your opinion that $6M for Ryan O'Reilly is a "low to middling salary." Something I very much disagree with.

O'Reilly still gets the money he's looking for, it's not like he's losing out on anything. He's put a priority on getting that number in that scenario not where he plays, so he'd be getting what he wanted.

He's under no obligation to sign for the arbiters amount with the new team. They would just know his demands, and would feel comfortable meeting them. They'll gauge his interest in re-signing with them before finalizing the trade, and negotiate a little on the final number afterwards knowing they're pretty close.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
form previous thread

Just to respond, I would say there is good reason to choose Kane over Staal and depending on the day I could flop either way, but my personal choice would be Staal for this team.

I have concerns about Kane wanting/needing to be the star player, some minor concerns about his desire to be an Iginla type player on and off the ice, and I think a forward is easier to find than a top pairing defenseman.

As for the arguments against Staal, while his injury history is concerning, that is the only concern I have. The deal would need to be based around Staal re-signing of course, but I think he would as the Avs look to be a team on the rise as a cup contender. As for his "slow down stage" that defensemen hit, I think it is hard to make that argument and at the same time say defensemen really don't hit their prime until mid-late 20s. Otherwise the Avs should trad EJ within the next year or two while his value is still high because he is merely a year+ away from where Staal is. The better defensemen in the league play well into their mid 30s so I have no concern that Staal would be capable of doing the same.

JMO of course, but either Kane or Staal would be a welcome return in a ROR trade.

There is a difference however with certain defenseman, and Staal certainly fits the bill. He doesn't strike me as the type to last long. When I say "slow down", I don't necessarily mean his skills are going to vanish, speed not withstanding. I think that he's the kind of defenseman who will slow down speed wise, and because he blocks so many shots and plays a physical game, his body will deteriorate sooner rather than later. It's the whole Mike Komisarek/Brooks Orpik/Mike Commodore etc argument.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
I had a terrible dream last night that we did a sign 'n trade involving O'Reilly.

Avs sent O'Reilly + draft picks to Toronto for Franson + a 2nd.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I had a terrible dream last night that we did a sign 'n trade involving O'Reilly.

Avs sent O'Reilly + draft picks to Toronto for Franson + a 2nd.

That would be classified as a nightmare if we're being honest...

Although if we traded for Franson, you'd probably watch him turn into a beast of a defender. If that guy would learn how to play defense he'd be a #1 defender with his offensive skill, size, skating, and physicality.

Unfortunately he's been learning from Phaneuf...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Hockey News ‏@TheHockeyNews 8 min
According to @THNKenCampbell, Ryan O'Reilly asking for $6.75 million in arbitration. Avs offering $5.525 million. One year award.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The Hockey News ‏@TheHockeyNews 8 min
According to @THNKenCampbell, Ryan O'Reilly asking for $6.75 million in arbitration. Avs offering $5.525 million. One year award.

Not unexpected really. Avs offering the minimum that can be awarded and O'Reilly asking for a bit more then his salary this season although it's quite a jump in cap hit.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Not unexpected really. Avs offering the minimum that can be awarded and O'Reilly asking for a bit more then his salary this season although it's quite a jump in cap hit.

He wants to be paid more than Patrice Bergeron which at this moment is laughable. I think 5.8 is maximum what he can be awarded at the moment. Still I don't see him in AVS uniform in the near future. I think once again it may be some "cold-war" between him and Duchene as after his last hold-out and Flames offer-sheet.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I hope that ROR only picks a 1 year deal. The award is going to be low and all parties know that. 5.525 to 5.75m is where the arbiter is going to land.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's obvious based on what he says that he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg. Some speculate it's because he wants to be on a winning team, but others speculate that he just wants to go somewhere where he can party hard.

Jets fan here... to provide a bit of background about E. Kane.

Most of the speculation about Kane's "attitude" is completely unfounded. I think he might not want to be in Winnipeg because they haven't been winning, and perhaps because he wants to be in a different / bigger market. Also, his fiancee is from Vancouver and might not want to move to Winnipeg.

He always plays hard, and has in fact been one of the NHL's leaders in hits. He's become a very responsible and effective penalty-killer. He has mostly played with very average line-mates, which has frustrated him. When he played for a short while with Scheifele and Wheeler last year, they were a dominant line (and he fit in very well).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Glad to hear the numbers.

Is there a player in the NHL that's on a contract they signed as an RFA who is making 6.75M? Or even 6.5M? Cant think of one off the top of my head to be honest.

Keeping in mind of course that the only contracts he can use as comparable are ones signed during RFA periods.

Even adding 3.5% per year for a couple years for inflation does not get him to 6.75, maybe 6.5M though. That's about the only argument I see that has any validity what so ever.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
He wants to be paid more than Patrice Bergeron which at this moment is laughable. I think 5.8 is maximum what he can be awarded at the moment. Still I don't see him in AVS uniform in the near future. I think once again it may be some "cold-war" between him and Duchene as after his last hold-out and Flames offer-sheet.

I don't recall this at all. What, did he refuse to do the Bang Bang dance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad