Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Thread Part III - O'Reilly SIGNS 2 yrs 12M (6M AAV) - No Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Continue here.

I feel the last thread got too crazy at times. So to reiterate, I don't care which side of this argument you fall on, there will be ZERO TOLERANCE for flaming, trolling, name-calling, anything else. Anyone decides to test me on that will not like the consequences, are we understood?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
RL smells funny.

can-you-just-be-cool-once-gif1.gif

;)

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
form previous thread
If ever news came out that the Avs were offered Marc Staal for O'Reilly and also offered Evander Kane for O'Reilly, Sakic and Roy would need to be delusional to accept the Staal trade. Why would you prefer Staal? He's 27 going on 28, not exactly old but he'll be hitting that "slow-down" stage that defenseman hit sooner rather than later, and has a history of concussion issues. Not that his play has fallen off a cliff or anything, but he certainly is not as good as he used to be.

Just to respond, I would say there is good reason to choose Kane over Staal and depending on the day I could flop either way, but my personal choice would be Staal for this team.

I have concerns about Kane wanting/needing to be the star player, some minor concerns about his desire to be an Iginla type player on and off the ice, and I think a forward is easier to find than a top pairing defenseman.

As for the arguments against Staal, while his injury history is concerning, that is the only concern I have. The deal would need to be based around Staal re-signing of course, but I think he would as the Avs look to be a team on the rise as a cup contender. As for his "slow down stage" that defensemen hit, I think it is hard to make that argument and at the same time say defensemen really don't hit their prime until mid-late 20s. Otherwise the Avs should trad EJ within the next year or two while his value is still high because he is merely a year+ away from where Staal is. The better defensemen in the league play well into their mid 30s so I have no concern that Staal would be capable of doing the same.

JMO of course, but either Kane or Staal would be a welcome return in a ROR trade.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As for the arguments against Staal, while his injury history is concerning, that is the only concern I have. The deal would need to be based around Staal re-signing of course

Do you agree that it wouldn't make sense for Staal to sign with the AVS unless they are offering him something similar that he'll get next year as an UFA?

If you agree (as you should) then why in the world would we give ROR for him?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To the "Sign and trade" ROR crowd:

There's ZERO chance that ROR signs a long term contract unless there's a NMC.

If you were him and had these 2 options:

A) Wait only 2 years, get maximum money on the UFA market AND choose where you would like to play

OR

B) Sign long term with the AVS (for obviously less money) and take the chance to get traded somewhere you don't want to play and get stuck there with your brand new "long term for less money" contract.

Which one would you pick?

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

A) Wait only 2 years, get maximum money on the UFA market AND choose where you would like to play

OR

B) Sign long term with the AVS (for obviously less money) and take the chance to get traded somewhere you don't want to play and get stuck there with your brand new "long term for less money" contract.

If he signs long term why is he traded?

Imo only trade him if he won't sign long term

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
So is it a for sure thing now that we're going to arbitration? Or, if by some stroke of genius, are we still able to sign moneybags before the arbitration date? Ugh...

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Rhaego

May 18, 2011

OR

I'd assume these sign and trades are letting O'Reilly's camp negotiate with another team as opposed to us getting a deal done and then trading him.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
If he signs long term why is he traded?

Imo only trade him if he won't sign long term

Some people think the best option is to sign him at 6.5 or whatever he is wanting long term and then turn around and trade him. Having him on a long term deal would bring the best value. And we abide by the structure.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's funny that just a few months ago, Avs fans were talking about signing Stastny & O'Rielly. Now, they might lose both! :facepalm:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Don't worry, Evander will look good next to Duchene and Iggy

Gag me now...I still can't understand why ANYONE would want someone like Evander Kane in our locker room...talk about a recipe for disaster.

The Avs, if they are resigned to trading O'Reilly, can most definitely do better than Evander Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad