Ryan Or Nash?

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Basically anyone picking Nash is in the camp of "The grass is always greener on the other side".

And anyone who picks Ryan is a homer.

You can not win, dudes.

original.jpg

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Nash is a faster version of Ryan.

But there is something about his game that I never liked, can't put my finger on it but more than anything it is he disappears and looks ordinary many nights. He will make one play and he will ride it for a few games, disappear again...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

But there is something about his game that I never liked, can't put my finger on it but more than anything it is he disappears and looks ordinary many nights. He will make one play and he will ride it for a few games, disappear again...

He's the guy in the office who does nothing until the boss walks by, then suddenly looks like the world's greatest employee.

He does the least amount of work possible that he can get away with. He has the skills to be on the highlight reel nearly every game, but only brings it just enough to give fans and management that glimmer of hope that he could take that next step and be the big game player he's paid to be.

That's why he chose New York over other possible destinations. New York is a big market, but Ranger players can still disappear in that city very easily. Big money, big fame, big business opportunities, yet nowhere near the scrutiny of most of the bigger markets. New Yorkers are too into the Yankees, Nets, Nicks, Jets and Giants. The NHL is below all of those...until the Rangers get into the playoffs.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Sounds like Ryan to me???? Can he spell I-N-T-E-N-S-E ?

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I don't see how anyone could pick Nash at this point. That was then, this is now, and Bobby is still improving while Ricky has plateau'd. I expect big things from Ryan next season.

I don't see Ryan commanding 7.8M/year either.

I also think with a full, healthy season Ryan can get close to 40 playing with Mac and Turris.

Kybosh

Sooner or later, everything old is new again.
Jun 29, 2012
I chose Nash but did not take into consideration what assets we may have traded for him. I just think Nash is the better player but I do want to say that I am very happy we have Ryan. Both bring similar things to the table size, scoring and can disappear at times. Nash making a much deeper team Canada and Ryan not making team USA was very interesting. Plus Nash is Canadian so when you have two similar products you go with the homegrown one. :)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I chose Nash but did not take into consideration what assets we may have traded for him. I just think Nash is the better player but I do want to say that I am very happy we have Ryan. Both bring similar things to the table size, scoring and can disappear at times. Nash making a much deeper team Canada and Ryan not making team USA was very interesting. Plus Nash is Canadian so when you have two similar products you go with the homegrown one. :)

Team USA didn't ice their best possible roster and, as a result, didn't even medal. Valid points across the board, but Ryan's lack of Olympic play was more due to USA management trying to be too fancy over anything he did.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Team USA didn't ice their best possible roster and, as a result, didn't even medal. Valid points across the board, but Ryan's lack of Olympic play was more due to USA management trying to be too fancy over anything he did.

Given the injury that Ryan was playing through, in retrospect they made the right call leaving him off of the team.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Ryan was my favourite non-Sen in the league before he got traded here.

When you compare the difference in cost to acquire, Ottawa was much better of with Ryan.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Looking at the cost of acquiring both:

Nash costed the Rangers two young 2nd line players, a top prospect and a 1st round pick.

Ryan costed the Sens one young 3rd line player (with top 6 potential), a future NHLer (wouldn't call Noesen a top prospect) and a 1st round pick.

When you consider what it took to acquire each player, the answer is easily Ryan.

It should also be noted that the Rangers played terribly after trading a bunch of forward depth for Nash, and ended up having to dump Gaborik for depth players later on.

Margaret Trudeau*

Nash + Spezza would be a nightmare. They would take naps on top of the nets.

But Nash is clearly better.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I remember before we traded for Ryan we almost traded for Nash. Who would you guys rather?

Myself I'm glad we got Ryan, wanted to hear ur thoughts.

Ryan; the acquisition cost difference is too big to ignore and the performance too little to make up that difference and the huge salary expense.

Past 5 years 82 game paces:
Nash = 82-34-31-65 ... $7.8M
Ryan = 82-30-31-61 ... $5.1M

Trade:
Nash = Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon (1st) and a 1st (19th).
Ryan = Silfverberg, Noeson (1st) and a 1st (10th).

So the deal looks relatively similar without Dubinsky, but Dubinsky is clearly the best player in either package and may remain so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad