Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think saying he’s awful as a player is unfair, he had an awful year. He had a really good season in 22-23 and was pretty solid before that. Is he the ideal partner for Fox? No not really, but there’s really not a ton out there that are appreciably better than him. And if they are, they might cost too much in terms of trade assets that the rangers don’t have.

Guentzel to Vancouver seeming more likely then.

I’m not expecting him to return to form. Everything under the hood fell off of the earth for him this year. He wasn’t awful before this year, but he is awful now.

He hasn’t belonged next to Fox pretty much ever. If he’s extended we’re going to get a heavily regressing version of that player shoehorned next to him. Fun times.

Canucks want to bring back Zadorov and Joshua so that money may be strictly for that.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I’m not expecting him to return to form. Everything under the hood fell off of the earth for him this year. He wasn’t awful before this year, but he is awful now.

He hasn’t belonged next to Fox pretty much ever. If he’s extended we’re going to get a heavily regressing version of that player shoehorned next to him. Fun times.

Canucks want to bring back Zadorov and Joshua so that money may be strictly for that.
Its possible you’re right, but sometimes guys just have bad years for whatever reason, obviously with Lindgren and the way he gets brutalized plus his limitations as a player a decline might be more probable, but I wouldn’t say it’s absolute.

Might be fright about the canucks.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I didn’t watch the pack so I’ll take your word for it, but he played center with the rangers, so I think they would be ok with him there. If not then Brodzinski is perfectly acceptable as the guy.

I don’t disagree, I just hate going into a season relying on Chytil as a top-9 center without, at the very least, an above average proven 4C.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
If Pegula nixed it (again, I don’t believe we were ever in the running to begin with) it’s because that package blows and the Vegas package was substantially better.

Like seriously, Tuch, Krebs, a 1st, a 2nd vs Strome (LOL), Buch, and a 1st. It’s not even believable.
I fail to see how Strome and Buch are that much worse than Tuch and Krebs. Buch scored 70 points.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Its possible you’re right, but sometimes guys just have bad years for whatever reason, obviously with Lindgren and the way he gets brutalized plus his limitations as a player a decline might be more probable, but I wouldn’t say it’s absolute.

Might be fright about the canucks.

Down years for a defenseman are usually just a result of your goalie not making saves behind you (Trouba of all people, got dicked by goaltending the hardest.)

Lindgren had tracked at 1 or 2 in every relevant defensive metric the 3 seasons prior to this. He was at the bottom of nearly everything this year.

That should scare everyone.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Great post & what an honest to God STRENGTHENING this would be.
As far as the Laf thing, that's not something discussed here or elsewhere yet, but he very well may not "want" to be here & may desire MTL

Not time to discuss that probably but I agree that getting to AND past FL et all is going to take some dynamic moves.

Does Drury have that in him? Or is it running it back with a few minor moves?

It's still June, September is ways away still. A lot of time to present him with a contract.

The MTL thing is overblown IMO. Using Kreider as an example: some called Kreider emo, because he was a loner or something in college and that he wouldn't sign with the Rangers because he only wanted to go back to Boston and sign with the Bruins... fans always have some crazy things. Kreider is around to be an example for Laf. All the negative things everyone said about Kreider when he was younger were all erroneous. Rangers stuck with him and now he's on track to be one of the best players in Rangers history.

Lafreniere isn't going anywhere in all likelihood. And if he waits until he's an RFA it's simply better business for himself. It's not anything to be afraid of. If the Rangers keep dicking around and keep him off PP1 while all his peers are getting those opportunities then theres going to be something to be afraid of. But it takes two for a contract. The Rangers should be offering a long term contract right now, like most teams do with their number one overall picks. He should have been on PP1 his entire NHL career like most number one overall picks. But this is the Rangers where everything they do is always backwards compared to what's successful and works.

Not only after a great regular season where he made the most of whatever opportunities he had, he followed that up by being outstanding in the playoffs. He finished tied for 7th in goals in the playoffs. 2nd, Verheage only had 3 more goals. Nobody was catching Hyman and his 16 goals incredible. Also, Laf got better as the playoffs went deeper. He's the player the Rangers should be focused on building around, everyone should be a supporting cast for him, not the other way around.

I would gamble on Laf. Go out and get players to build around him. One of the reasons I want Zegras here. Same age range. High end talent. There better leadership on the Rangers than in ANA. You have the old core and a new core being built to transition to.

I'm rambling, but case in point, I think Laf isn't going anywhere and I think the Rangers might do the right thing and commit to him long term. I see him as eventual captain too.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Man, I starting to have hope again.

Trouba out. Lindgren staying on a bargain deal. Works for me as long as Lindgren is playing down in the lineup.
we're gonna miss Trouba after he's gone you know that right? You'll hear screams of "WE NEED MUH GRIT" from the fanbase. Drury better have a solidified plan because you're not replacing that sandpaper that easily.

Reactions: Daves a mess

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Buch never had more than 48 points as a Ranger. Strome is just a guy.
Buch is a pure play driver and it's been known since day-1, his value has always been there and acknowledged by loads of teams in the league and BUF was really interested in him at the time but Drury just never capitalized on his value and he completely botched the move. He was a rookie GM though it's hard to blame him.

Drury has been patient for the past 3 years, it's time for him to actually do something real spicy now.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Buch is a pure play driver and it's been known since day-1, his value has always been there and acknowledged by loads of teams in the league and BUF was really interested in him at the time but Drury just never capitalized on his value and he completely botched the move. He was a rookie GM though it's hard to blame him.

Drury has been patient for the past 3 years, it's time for him to actually do something real spicy now.
Buch value was not acknowledged by anyone in the league because he was on the block for months and the best offer GMs could come up with was Sammy Blais and a 2nd.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
how would you guys feel if Drury was trying to trade up this year to draft Zeev Buium?

Buium would be a phenomenal pick, but we don't have the ammo to get him short of giving up Perreault or Laf, who are automatic non-starters for me. Those 2 and Fox are my only untouchables in the org

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad