Value of: Ryan McLeod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What would your team be willing to trade for McLeod? He has good size and speed but I'd like someone with more grit in his role or to use him in a package to add a top 4RD. What are your offers?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What would your team be willing to trade for McLeod? He has good size and speed but I'd like someone with more grit in his role or to use him in a package to add a top 4RD. What are your offers?

What are you willing to add as a sweetener? No one would trade anything of value for McLeod. You know that.

If you are adding McLeod in a package for a top 4RD you are decreasing the value of your package.
On his own he does not command much.
Some value yes, but = value at best, no premium.

If someone w/mo grit but less size/speed that = lateral move at best, no?

No high ranking RD = a get here.
Forget Schneider/Schn type, even w/add

Rs offer surplus D Jac Jones + LeSchitshow which = same 2 yr term + provides small cap relief; also, will send first available Rs 3rd rounder in 2026, Oil yield 2024 EDM 2nd

NY adds bottom 6 F depth which is likely but limited upside
Oil gamble 3rd rounder Jones can = useful puck mover

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see him having a lot of value. Low 2nd, at best? Maybe another 4th liner, or a 6/7 Dman with a similar contract. If his contract was half what it is, he'd be worth a bit more.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
On his own he does not command much.
Some value yes, but = value at best, no premium.

If someone w/mo grit but less size/speed that = lateral move at best, no?

No high ranking RD = a get here.
Forget Schneider/Schn type, even w/add

Rs offer surplus D Jac Jones + LeSchitshow which = same 2 yr term + provides small cap relief; also, will send first available Rs 3rd rounder in 2026, Oil yield 2024 EDM 2nd

NY adds bottom 6 F depth which is likely but limited upside
Oil gamble 3rd rounder Jones can = useful puck mover
Why would Edmonton do that?

A run of the mill dman, a Ahl level player and give up a better pick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Maybe Jake Evans for him.

McLeod has some wheels ? The more I look at it, it's a minor deal, but the Habs downgrade.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
McLeod just screams roster filler kind of player to me. He shows some flash with skating but doesn't seem to excel at anything, I don't see teams targeting him as an upgrade in any kind of defined role on their teams.

He's a player you perhaps take a flier on or as an addon in a trade, I don't think any one specifically would target him. Factor in the 2M+ hit, i don't think he'd be valued positively on his own.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why would Edmonton do that?

A run of the mill dman, a Ahl level player and give up a better pick
1. Again, he does NOT command high value on his own
2. Not a great return, but player on his own does not generate one.
3. By reason of the above, any return will be ballpark comparable, so Oil choosing betw coke + pepsi
4. OP return sought unrealistic 4RD. This provides a young D for less $ who is lefty shot, but plays RD. Not complete player, but if gambling on playmaker, return is realistic/reasonable.
5. If I am not mistaken, total cap going to Oil is 1.5m+, < 1.6m; cap going to NY = 2.1m exactly. This means EDM recovers bit over .5m cap; CF says Oil today have 382K+, so this pushes them to roughly 900k
900k is nothing to brag about but it does give you a lot more elbow room with which to make a deal.

Because hes the worst poster in this section and he has a reputation to uphold,
read my last post, which demonstrates solid rationale
and then
PHYSICIAN HEAL THYSELF

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ryan McLeod isn't a bad player at all. But he's not the sort of piece that anyone goes out of their way to acquire. He's just a decent, bottom-6 filler "utility player". Size is mentioned, but he's functionally not very big because he doesn't use the size at all. He's fast and that's a valuable commodity in today's NHL...but if it doesn't really come packaged with other impact qualities, it the value is diminished a bit. Doesn't really score a ton, doesn't really bring any physicality or special teams PK ace. He's just sorta...there. Which is fine and guys like that can help hold a better built bottom-6 together. But nobody goes out of their way to acquire and pay for those types.

So it's not something that even gets the ball rolling on a Top-4 RHD trade. If McLeod is being moved for one of those, he's the "add on". Maybe even the 3rd or 4th best piece in the deal. Probably in there more for cap reasons than actual "value" as a player.

You're not "adding a sweetener" to McLeod. You're adding him as the sweetener to much more substantial pieces.

Reactions: bernmeister

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Would anyone take McLeod off waivers? Serious Question for non Oiler fans.
Oiler fan here. Ryan is a wonderful skater that can help a contending team bring a cup as a 4th liner. His biggest problem will always be that he has hands of stone! I'm starting to dislike this guy big time and Holloway too! Two pretty useless guys right now !! I suppose that McLeod as well as Brown and Erne could all possibly be on waivers soon if they don't start producing? :facepalm:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Oiler fan here. Ryan is a wonderful skater that can help a contending team bring a cup as a 4th liner. His biggest problem will always be that he has hands of stone! I'm starting to dislike this guy big time and Holloway too! Two pretty useless guys right now !! I suppose that McLeod as well as Brown and Erne could all possibly be on waivers soon if they don't start producing? :facepalm:

Why do you expect Erne to produce? Produce what?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
And I'm the one your base is vilifying for these 2, + Broberg + prospect
for LaF + small cap dump!

W/LaF hot start proving my projection of LaF looking like emerging Steve Vickers, being confirmed and being less conjecture, price went up.

Oil have to kick in a 1st also

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013

W/LaF hot start proving my projection of LaF looking like emerging Steve Vickers, being confirmed and being less conjecture, price went up.

Oil have to kick in a 1st

Where There is a thread about the Oilers there will be bern with another trade offer for Broberg even if it has nothing to do with the thread content. This is the way

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think Ryan McLeod is pretty good. I call BS on the claim he's negative value.

I wish the Avs had something that made sense for the Oilers because he'd make a great bottom six C for Colorado with his speed and size. I bet the Avs could find him a consistent 13-14 minutes a night of ice time. He'd be great as the sling shot player to carry the puck into the zone for PP2. Could do some PK as well with his size and speed.

I'm surprised to see people say McLeod is not valuable. I suspect several GMs would be interested in adding him to their bottom six. If the Oil waived him, I'd lay big money he gets claimed.

Codi Ceci + Ryan McLeod for Josh Manson (big RHD) + Olofsson (Avs current 4C and leauge min contract)?

This trade assumes the Oilers called the Avs.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Oil have to kick in a 1st also
The NYRs don't have a small cap dump do they? Goodnow surely isn't who you mean. He's terrible and overpaid. Bad contract.

And where does NYR play all of Broberg, Holloway, Ryan McLeod if all they are trading away is LaF?
You sending a few of these guys to the AHL? If so... what's the point for Drury? You can't ice a roster more than 18 skaters and two goalies.

Your trade really doesn't make much sense in practicality.

If the Oilers put McLeod as well as Brown on waivers, say good bye to each of them. They'd each be subject to claims by several teams.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What are you willing to add as a sweetener? No one would trade anything of value for McLeod. You know that.

If you are adding McLeod in a package for a top 4RD you are decreasing the value of your package.
Seems like you don't understand the player you are talking about. McLeod is a good player - fast, consistent defensively, not the best goal scorer but decent playmaker at times. He's never going to be a top line player, but he's well on his way to a successful career as a middle six player. I agree we aren't getting a top 4 RD for him, but getting a hard nosed gritty, veteran 3rd liner shouldn't be out of the question. And he isn't the type of player any team would need to "add a sweetener" to move.

Would anyone take McLeod off waivers? Serious Question for non Oiler fans.
I think he would get claimed. There are teams with cap space who wouldn't let him through, he's an every day NHL'er, has upside to be more than he is today, and is the type of player that coaches love to have.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The NYRs don't have a small cap dump do they? Goodnow surely isn't who you mean. He's terrible and overpaid. Bad contract.

And where does NYR play all of Broberg, Holloway, Ryan McLeod if all they are trading away is LaF?
You sending a few of these guys to the AHL? If so... what's the point for Drury? You can't ice a roster more than 18 skaters and two goalies.

Your trade really doesn't make much sense in practicality.
1. small cap dump - I specified Leshitshow. He is under 1m for this yr and next.
That means he can be dumped in the A to fully recover his cap hit.

2. Goodrow -- you brought him up, he is not part of this equation.
Howev, we will consider dealing him to make room/recover cap

3 Fitting these adds -
a) do not have to resolve immediately
b) Broberg competes w/Robertson + Scanlin for 3LD. KAM and Gus are kept, Lindgren to be dealt for high Ana 2nd + good RD prospect Helleson
c) Subtract LaF from spot on roster = 1
then we have Wheeler, at some pt Goodrow = another 2
Bonino + Pitlick = 2 more
Vesey is also on notice he'll have to keep up the compete/intensity

Holloway is a gamble that w/his speed he bookends w/Kreider
but we'll see

There is obv a path to add Hol + McLeod if they produce from those guys, and still add yr elc prospect Lavoie when he is ready.

IF IF IF guys on your side had fully delivered sufficiently, and were not such question marks, THEN of course the ask would be less.
But as that is NOT the case, my ask, now with a future late 1st (flexible on the yr) is valid.
These guys are not a big return in terms of current value.
It is a measured gamble for Rs to offset some of the stupidity of not listening to bern, and instead going w/rentals for draft picks

Trade makes sense for both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad