Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The only way to be as mad as some people are is to

A. For some reason think there is a massive gap between Savoie and the rest of the forward prospects. Which isn’t true.

B. Somehow think that every one of those prospects was going to find a spot here despite there being 6 guys and maybe at most three spots down the line. You know,..before they’re all in their draft plus six seasons. Which isn’t likely.

C. Were REALLY looking forward to watching Krebs at 3C. Which isn’t possible.

Other than that…you’re talking about one of a group of similarly ranked prospects who can’t all play here moved to improve upon Krebs at a key spot on the roster with a 24 year old who does the things they want in this league.

You can be mad about it, sure. I just don’t see how you can be THAT mad.
Because the value is an abject disgrace

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Ok my question is this is all you could get for Savoie? Did Kev actually trying to package him with a first? Just seems underwhelming for what us fans thought was a blue chip prospect. Is this an indictment on Savoie? Trying to understand because right now I was expecting more of a return from him.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Ok my question is this is all you could get for Savoie? Did Kev actually trying to package him with a first? Just seems underwhelming for what us fans thought was a blue chip prospect. Is this an indictment on Savoie? Trying to understand because right now I was expecting more of a return from him.

My guess is what a combo of injuries, the league slowly skewing larger and teams looking to crush us.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
The only way to be as mad as some people are is to

A. For some reason think there is a massive gap between Savoie and the rest of the forward prospects. Which isn’t true.

B. Somehow think that every one of those prospects was going to find a spot here despite there being 6 guys and maybe at most three spots down the line. You know,..before they’re all in their draft plus six seasons. Which isn’t likely.

C. Were REALLY looking forward to watching Krebs at 3C. Which isn’t possible.

Other than that…you’re talking about one of a group of similarly ranked prospects who can’t all play here moved to improve upon Krebs at a key spot on the roster with a 24 year old who does the things they want in this league.

You can be mad about it, sure. I just don’t see how you can be THAT mad.
or D. people thought Savoie had more value than that. Or wanted to package Savoie + a 1st and maybe a Krebs or someone for a higher tier of return.

I'm not saying that option was available, but it seemed like it ought to be.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I liked Savoie a lot but always thought the Sabres were more into Ostlund and Kulich.

I’d bet that Adams really wanted Marco Kasparov at 9 but took Savoie as BPA.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I see that being scratched for one game in the playoffs at 24 years old has become a big talking point.

Here’s some supplemental material for that. They lost that game…he came back the next game and scored. They shut down the Stars the rest of the series. Then he scored three more times in something called the Stanley Cup Finals.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
A few things I like about the player.
  • Speed - Elite levels of speed and he plays a fast game. This helps him achieve those good defensive fancy stats. Why do I care if a player finished the defensive play with a check or a steal? As long as the puck is turned over and not in our net it's a win.
  • Improvement - The young man has improved every year he has played in the NHL. This tells me he has not reached his ceiling and has strong potential to continue to improve. Points, +/-, hits, blocked shots, and TOI, all indicate improvement and increased role on the Oilers. Posters criticize him for not going to the dirty areas, but seriously, how many players in their 3rd NHL season who have built their game off speed are going to be great at something like that? When the wheels slow and he hits 28, 29, 30, I am sure he will be a more physical presence. (If he was already the complete package, how could anyone trade for him in the first place?)
  • Game Played - All these posters here and on the main board talking about 4C, being benched in the playoffs, soft, etc. That's noise, words, talk is cheap. The proof is in the actions of the Oilers. He played a ton of games on a perennial cup contender as the 3C behind McDrai. (209 games over the last 3 years, plus 52 in the playoffs)
  • Sabres Fit - Completes the Mitts loop. We needed this type of player, on this type of contract/RFA/ with this type of hockey tool kit. He can continue to improve with the Sabres core and he is the same age as our core (+/- 2 years from Cozens, Thompson, Dahlin, etc)
  • Faceoffs/Steals - Improvement year after year, against tough competition and a lot of important d-zone starts. He is in elite company stealing the puck and Ruff wants players with different types of hockey tools. This move was certainly influenced by Ruff.
Meanwhile, I think Savoie could be good in this league but it was never going to be with the Sabres. Benson made him irrelevant. The main board is making Savoie out to be the next hockey Hall of Famer and all I can think is this is a guy who could not crack the lineup of the league's youngest team for the last two seasons. (I know the injury derailed his best chance)

Last edited:

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
We get: A 24 year-old, lightning fast, defense-first 3C. (6'3" 188 lb. Get this guy in the weight room, stuff him with protein powder, and maybe he'll have more moxie.)

We lose: One of our many undersized, offensively gifted forward prospects. And the disaster-in-the-making of Krebs at 3C on opening night.

I'm good.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
One of the things I just can’t square in my head is when people say “he’s too good a prospect and a clear future top six star!” You know who doesn’t think that? The people who drafted him and have watched him and worked with him for two years. Or they wouldn’t have moved him. They can be wrong…anyone can. But you can’t be both blown away by their scouts and the work they’ve done and then say they don’t know what they’re doing with a player they’ve scouted more than any team in the league. It doesn’t make sense.
This organization has no reason to be trusted they haven't made the playoffs once under Adams and he has had multiple years already why should I care about their bottom 6 acquisitions....Greenway was acquired for a 2nd by comparison literally just last season and the Oilers are the ones up against the cap its just beyond dumb how anyone can justify paying that much for a guy who has peaked at 30 points at 24 and it was the first season he played every game. Was anyone impressed by McLeod in the playoffs with 4 goals in 24 games and that was with a high shooting pct because he barely did anything everyone got to see him in the playoffs he's not some hidden gem.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Savoie has three full years of exception.

I'm pretty sure they were surprised Henrique came back to the team at a discount...based on the articles before July 1 I read. Don't know the scuttle on their hfboards page.

Judging by what was posted prior and after July 1. Oilers made Henrque and offer, Henrique spent the first few hours looking at the other offers and decides to take less money to stay in Edmonton. Hell has frozen over

• Haha
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
what the hell is Adams doing?
horrible trade in my opinion.
If you want to get a feel for what we're getting back take a look at the Oilers page. Below is a typical post from an Oilers fan:
great trade
McLeod didn't have a future here IMO...too soft
Savoie is a great prospect, even if he's tiny

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Honestly the people most upset really read like they're kinda hopelessly fixated on "value optics" and frankly, the fact they don't feel like they won the trade on the HF main boards.

Fans of other teams really don't understand the hole the Sabres are trying to crawl out of or how this trade actually does help that, and some Sabres fans around here are so desperate to hang with them that they don't understand it either.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
We get: A 24 year-old, lightning fast, defense-first 3C. (6'3" 188 lb. Get this guy in the weight room, stuff him with protein powder, and maybe he'll have more moxie.)

We lose: One of our many undersized, offensively gifted forward prospects. And the disaster-in-the-making of Krebs at 3C on opening night.

I'm good.
Elite prospects has him at 207.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Honestly the people most upset really read like they're kinda hopelessly fixated on "value optics" and frankly, the fact they don't feel like they won the trade on the HF main boards.

Fans of other teams really don't understand the hole the Sabres are trying to crawl out of or how this trade actually does help that, and some Sabres fans around here are so desperate to hang with them that they don't understand it either.
Yup. Many people can't get over the "OMG STUPID OVERPAY" aspect. Was it an overpay? Yes, yes it was.

I, in particular, love the people saying "OMG, YOU COULD HAVE SIGNED A 3C IN FREE AGENCY FOR FREE". We have been trying that for YEARS. Those types want to go to winning teams, warm teams, or teams with no state tax. They ain't coming to Buffalo. We need to trade for those things.

McLeod was available because Henrique did the previously unthinkable and took a discount to stay with Edmonton. But they weren't going to give him up for free.

Again -- is it an overpay? yes, strictly speaking. But this is something we've been howling at Adams to do -- trade from our prospect pool to get help NOW. And McLeod is going to be here for a while.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
It’s not that McLeod is bad he just isn’t good. Ask yourselves why a contender would move him for a prospect.the guy is just there filling a spot. Was gonna be 4th liner this year
Point to where he isn't good.

Face-offs? Good. >50%, took the 3rd most on EDM...just behind #29 and #97
Speed? Very good. NHL Edge puts his speed as 98% percentile.
Size? Good He's 6'3"
Scoring? Maybe, but his offensive zone time was 42.7%. It's hard to be a scorer when your role is to get your team out of their own end, then change so McDavid or Draisaitl can come of the ice.

Why would they deal him? He's going to be a RFA next season and they have to pay Draisaitl, Holloway, Ceci, and Bouchard after next season and S Skinner the season after that. They weren't going to be able to keep him.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Point to where he isn't good.

Face-offs? Good. >50%, took the 3rd most on EDM...more than McDavid.
Speed? Very good. NHL Edge puts his speed as 98% percentile.
Size? Good He's 6'3"
Scoring? Maybe, but his offensive zone time was 42.7%. It's hard to be a scorer when your role is to get your team out of their own end, then change so McDavid or Draisaitl can come of the ice.

Why would they deal him? He's going to be a RFA next season and they have to pay Draisaitl, Holloway, Ceci, and Bouchard after next season and S Skinner the season after that. They weren't going to be able to keep him.
Well how nice of the Sabres to give them a hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad