Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Oilers had no room for McLeod with all their moves on July 1st. Does Savoie have one more year of being waiver exempt?

On the surface I do not like the deal. I am still high on Savoie and the guys we got oilers just had zero room for them on the roster

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I will admit, price aside, Adams did a good job upgrading the roster and got the 3C I asked for (not the high end 3C just acquired one).
There’s a reason EDM said I want Savoie and not Rosen, they know their high end skill.
I really wanted to watch Savoie compete and earn a spot this year just sucks he was never given a chance here despite being their highest prospect. The situation gives me the ick and I think he got dicked around a bit here. Sucks I gotta try and catch EDM games now lol. You couldn’t trade him to a 7pm team!

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Oilers had no room for McLeod with all their moves on July 1st. Does Savoie have one more year of being waiver exempt?

On the surface I do not like the deal. I am still high on Savoie and the guys we got oilers just had zero room for them on the roster

Savoie has three full years of exception.

I'm pretty sure they were surprised Henrique came back to the team at a discount...based on the articles before July 1 I read. Don't know the scuttle on their hfboards page.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Well sure, if we owned the circus a whole lot would be different
I am not sure what that means.

I was surfacing some objective evidence of where this forum was almost one year to the day in 2023 - where the majority thought he was their 4th best prospect. Levi was and still is their best prospect.

Of course, a year later and opinions change and development is non-linier, but hey we also got a new crop of 2006's to slot in, and some guys rising fast.

I think it is safe to say that Savoie was among a group of their best prospects and maybe Pronman wasn't all that wrong with his hot take about similar prospects when they drafted Helenius. That pick is starting to make a little more sense knowing the Edmonton deal was on the table.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I am not sure what that means.

I was surfacing some objective evidence of where this forum was almost one year to the day in 2023 - where the majority thought he was their 4th best prospect. Levi was and still is their best prospect.

Of course, a year later and opinions change and development is non-linier, but hey we also got a new crop of 2006's to slot in, and some guys rising fast.

I think it is safe to say that Savoie was among a group of their best prospects and maybe Pronman wasn't all that wrong with his hot take about similar prospects when they drafted Helenius. That pick is starting to make a little more sense knowing the Edmonton deal was on the table.
We’d run this franchise very differently, I think, in our valuations and moves

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
This one stings because I really like Savoie a lot. I think he can be a true game breaker. On the other hand, I understand the purpose of the trade, and it makes our team better in the near future. I'm going to have to sleep more on this one and see how McLeod does. I really wish it had been Rosen or Krebs though.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We got a bigger, faster, and still fairly young, regular nhler. He won't be a star but he will be a starter in the middle six.. He will have more of an opportunity to use his speed, size and experience with the Sabres than he did withe Oilers. We gave up a skilled player I liked a lot who's speedy but is 6 inches shorter and may have continued injuries issues-especially with the way he plays. He was not a shoo in to make the club this year or next no matter what the pollyannas seem to think and I do not want to wait 2 more years -I want to win NOW! This is the type of trade that needed to be made. I hope to see another trade using surplus assets to give us another strong 2 way F or a strong stay at home RD. No issue overpaying for such a player in FA either provided it is short term.
We {that includes me} tend to over value our prospects who still have not shown us anything in the big leagues.
Let's go Buffalo!!!

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Proven 3C???? Why Henrique replace him then in the playoffs? Brah pass over that joint
Right? How are people here saying McLeod is a proven 3C when he was so bad in the playoffs he got scratched? The only time he's ever been "okay" was when he was thrown onto the second line and had Draisaitl feeding him pucks as a winger. He isn't going to have that in Buffalo. And if people want to look at his analytics as a center that's fine but he's soft as butter, hates contact and does not have the hands to go with his high speed. He's a below average 3C. No other team in their right mind would have pulled the trigger on this trade if they had Savoie. There are much better 3C out there if that's what they were truly after. lol

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
He is a proven 3C, and, Henrique is currently a better player than McLeod. Both can be true. He got scratched because playing a center on the wing is maybe not what they wanted in the playoffs because as you already know he isn't a physical player.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Right? How are people here saying McLeod is a proven 3C when he was so bad in the playoffs he got scratched? The only time he's ever been "okay" was when he was thrown onto the second line and had Draisaitl feeding him pucks as a winger. He isn't going to have that in Buffalo. And if people want to look at his analytics as a center that's fine but he's soft as butter, hates contact and does not have the hands to go with his high speed. He's a below average 3C. No other team in their right mind would have pulled the trigger on this trade if they had Savoie. There are much better 3C out there if that's what they were truly after. lol
He was so bad that he got scratched, wait, checks notes, one game.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Reading through the thread… can’t believe how many people think this is a good move.

This deal makes me ill.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
This one stings because I really like Savoie a lot. I think he can be a true game breaker. On the other hand, I understand the purpose of the trade, and it makes our team better in the near future. I'm going to have to sleep more on this one and see how McLeod does. I really wish it had been Rosen or Krebs though.
Everyone wants to trade trash for treasure so I completely understand everyone, not just you, wishing to have paid less or received more for what we paid. I am mildly surprised and cautiously optimistic that there is now a concerted effort and emphasis to win. I still question Adams' ability, but I am hopeful that we are entering a phase where accomplishment is measured in wins.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The only way to be as mad as some people are is to

A. For some reason think there is a massive gap between Savoie and the rest of the forward prospects. Which isn’t true.

B. Somehow think that every one of those prospects was going to find a spot here despite there being 6 guys and maybe at most three spots down the line. You know,..before they’re all in their draft plus six seasons. Which isn’t likely.

C. Were REALLY looking forward to watching Krebs at 3C. Which isn’t possible.

Other than that…you’re talking about one of a group of similarly ranked prospects who can’t all play here moved to improve upon Krebs at a key spot on the roster with a 24 year old who does the things they want in this league.

You can be mad about it, sure. I just don’t see how you can be THAT mad.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
If you factor in Savoie's inability to stay healthy since the Sabres draftet him, the Oilers are assuming some risk here. When he's on the ice, he's great. But he's also very small and spends a lot of time watching games from the trainers room. Only time will tell.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Rosen. I replied to a post that referenced management being higher on Rosen than Savoie. I think they are higher on prospects taken later like Neuchev Poltapov and Wahlberg making a contribution above their draft position like JJ did.
Got it. I think Poltapov is at the bottom of that list. He isn't guaranteed to come over, and his KHL numbers are very average. Maybe he pops next year

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If nothing else I hope any GM who doesn’t want to deal with Adams is punching a wall right now. That shit was all on the table you losers.
That's why I don't really buy the "other guys won't talk to him rumors". It would just be silly of them

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Got it. I think Poltapov is at the bottom of that list. He isn't guaranteed to come over, and his KHL numbers are very average. Maybe he pops next year
I think it's too soon to knock him down, his longview is still very intriguing. KHL is not a developmental league, when he was demoted he produced well against his peers.

Reactions: Tatanka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad