Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Honestly what is our track record with the "top" prospects we've traded before they become NHL'ers? Guhle? Greg O'Renko? Compher? McNabb sure...

I think Savoie should be a good player and hope for the best but it's not like we do have a Filip Forsberg in our near past.

Last edited:

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Henrique is currently a better 3C than McLeod and he resigned with the Oilers at a massive discount.

That re-signing made McLeod expendable.

I know we overpaid but if that's the forward prospect they insisted on...

And Henrique could have gotten a deal like that except he wants a cup and gave EDM a sweetheart deal. That's why we have McLeod today.
Image if he traded Savoie for 34 year old Henrique :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A couple people on the mains have mentioned that McLeod was at his most productive on the wing with Draisaitl last season, is it possible we’re wrong in looking at this trade as a deal for a 3C rather than for a 2LW who can also take important draws?

Could be. That will be on Ruff to figure out.

Reactions: Reddawg

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
A couple people on the mains have mentioned that McLeod was at his most productive on the wing with Draisaitl last season, is it possible we’re wrong in looking at this trade as a deal for a 3C rather than for a 2LW who can also take important draws?

As long as he doesn't throw blind passes to opposition... can gain possession help suppress goals, win faceoffs and help Benson do his thing then that's all that matters

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
We gotta stop pencilling prospects into our future lineups. The drought has made us do that. Injuries happen, and that is the chance for our prospects to come into the NHL and prove they shouldn’t be sent back down. I’d rather keep all these players and see who rises above the rest because there may be a top line player in there or a star forward.

Are you going to keep Savoie in the minors for upwards of 7 years due to Tage and Cozen's deals?

Reactions: Ehran

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Henrique is currently a better 3C than McLeod and he resigned with the Oilers at a massive discount.

That re-signing made McLeod expendable.

I know we overpaid but if that's the forward prospect they insisted on...

And Henrique could have gotten a deal like that except he wants a cup and gave EDM a sweetheart deal. That's why we have McLeod today.

You are aware Henrique is four years older than Monahan and Wennberg? He will turn 35 next February he could have gotten around 4 million max.

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
I’ll provide a quick little assessment on Clouder. I may be repeating what others have said, but I haven’t really looked through this post. This is coming from someone who has a huge soft spot for Buffalo. I followed them religiously when Ennis was on the team :).
  1. He’s got wheels. I think he even beat Mcdavid as fastest skater in an Edmonton skills comp (Mcdavid might have been taking it easy) but he can fly.
  2. He’s fairly defensively responsible so many of us thought he would make an ideal 3C one day
  3. He definitely played better as a 2LW with Drai than he did anywhere else in the lineup. His best line mates while playing 3C or 4C were not world beaters though. Holloway, Foegele, Janmark, but pretty stereotypical guys for bottom 6.
  4. He drove oilers fans crazy shying away from contact and not going to the dirty areas. He’s young enough that this could probably be taught.
  5. He was healthy scratched in the playoffs a few games, but after coming back from the last scratch he managed to score a very timely goal.
  6. I think the majority of oilers fans are happy with the return but that’s more because of our cap situation than anything. We all probably woulda had more time for him if he was at 1.2mill or our cap situation was better. This is the deepest on paper our team has been since many fans have been alive for lol so he kinda found himself on the outside looking in. I think Buffalo had to give to get here, but if there’s a major need for a younger 3C with some potential to get the warts out of his game, you guys did alright. Savoie might give everyone PTSD though if he’s able to connect with any of our big guns.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
As a general principle “don’t be afraid to overpay” is solid and adopted by good franchises but you also don’t want to drop a bill on a footlong sub. We can’t know what the internal sense of value on a guy is but having thought about it I don’t really like what seemed like a top organizational prospect getting flipped for a now-decent-but-potentially-good 3C. You really couldn’t do this sort of move for 14OA or someone a little rawer/lower ceiling? Anyway, it’s moot now, but if they were ready to move on from the kid I’d have preferred to see him packaged for a scorer

Reactions: Krieger Bot

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
No, that is all.

A team like Chicago would have given him really good money on a 2 year deal.

He wanted to go back to Edmonton. It was widely reported he turned down much better money to go back.

He wasn't going to get great money on a 3 or 4 or 5 year deal, so your point about the younger centers is well taken. And those two did get longer deals than 2 years.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The Sabres are better next year with McLeod on the team, than with Savoie in the system. It's a win for everyone that wants the team to be better. It's a loss for people who only care about winning trades.
If you start trading top assets like Savoirle for 3rd liners, you are in deep trouble.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Imagine if Savoie was a year older and drafted in 2021, was still in Rochester after a year and showed no definite signs of making the Sabres this season. I would say that would be a bit of a disappointment. Well, that's where Rosen is at now, so I would be really surprised if KA thought so much of Rosen as to choose to keep him over Savoie for a trade like this. This most likely came down to Edm insisting on Savoie last week when they first started talking, and eventually KA caved in.

It's a necessary result of some short-sighted moves. Can't dwell on Savoie...just hope McLeod can add some snarl to his game.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
As a general principle “don’t be afraid to overpay” is solid and adopted by good franchises but you also don’t want to drop a bill on a footlong sub. We can’t know what the internal sense of value on a guy is but having thought about it I don’t really like what seemed like a top organizational prospect getting flipped for a now-decent-but-potentially-good 3C. You really couldn’t do this sort of move for 14OA or someone a little rawer/lower ceiling? Anyway, it’s moot now, but if they were ready to move on from the kid I’d have preferred to see him packaged for a scorer
Just a reminder where this forum was when asked who was the top prospect last summer (and this was before Helenius):

1720222840189.png

Just a reminder where this forum was when asked who was the top prospect last summer (and this was before Helenius):

1720222840189.png
And here's the top 19:

1720223016522.png

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Left wing lock says he played C 78% of the time last year and similar the previous couple.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 193833.png

He's a center and he's good at faceoffs (53% over the last 2 years). He has size and extreme speed. He's got good defensive analytics and he's a strong penalty killer. None of that is dependent on playing on Draisatl's wing.

The production to me is a nice bonus, but not that necessary. If he does produce more as a top 6 wing, that's a nice add-on, rather than a problem to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad