Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That line of thinking can go both ways. If McLeod is such a defensive stud 3C, then why would the Oilers move him for futures when they are in win-now mode?

They replaced him with Henrique, knowing that would put them over the cap.
Because it's a chance to get a good young top 6 player with a lot of potential in ELS. Only an idiot would turn that down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s this sort of day:

IMG_4995.jpeg

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
There's a larger point here that's undeniable.

The Malenstyn and McLeod trades, in part, are because Adams spent the previous 2 years not building a team.
and should be remembered as adams paying a premium to correct a previous mistake

paying a premium for putting another rebuild in the hands of an inexperienced gm

but in the grand scheme of things the reaction is as much a reaction to the situation as it is to the trade

bills passed on mahomes, traded wyatt teller, traded the pick that would be justin jefferson

i dont know what my point is, not every move can be you nailed it and gave up the minimum assets, sometimes you have to go back and fix mistakes, forgiveness will come if it works and unemployment if it doesnt

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Adams doesn't know how good Kulich, Savoie and Rosen are? Oilers could have asked specifically only Savoie.
Tell them to shove it lol. He can’t be the only average low end 3C in the league that can be had for peanuts.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think this is probably a trade that we look back on and wince a little but not need to reach for the loaded gun
We just need to get to the playoffs, I'm tired of sitting and hoarding all these prospects and waiting for them to develop. I still think Adams is a questionable GM and he didn't even know how to build a team, Lindy probably told him that.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
A couple people on the mains have mentioned that McLeod was at his most productive on the wing with Draisaitl last season, is it possible we’re wrong in looking at this trade as a deal for a 3C rather than for a 2LW who can also take important draws?

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
They went with the higher floor now rather than the higher ceiling later. We still have top quality prospects coming out of our collective ass.

I'm good with it and I am a big Savoie fan. I don't like losing him but the move needed to be done. Moving forward you have a good young player with team control and a reasonable cap hit.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Tell them to shove it lol. He can’t be the only average low end 3C in the league that can be had for peanuts.
Well I agree, although if they specifically need a fast player for this, then my list would be shortened. Adams overpaid, that's a fact.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
A couple people on the mains have mentioned that McLeod was at his most productive on the wing with Draisaitl last season, is it possible we’re wrong in looking at this trade as a deal for a 3C rather than for a 2LW who can also take important draws?
Then this trade looks idiotic if they see him as a winger.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t understand people being angry about this. They got a good 3C. Matt was my favorite prospect and I think this is fair value.
I dont know enough about the other player to assess the true fairness of thus trade.

Buffalo has prospect depth to absorb such a move. Other teams dont.

It looks like Krebs is the 13F if not traded.

I'm sorry, but this is exactly what you use assets for - to make your NHL team better. Adams did that.

I see McLeod is in the last year of his 2-year deal. Is he still under team control after that?
3 years to UFA drafted in 2018. Bridge done next summer iirc with 2 yrs till UFA.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Hyperbole. Look at the Sabres roster. Where are you fitting Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, Rosen, and Helenius? How about Wahlberg?
We gotta stop pencilling prospects into our future lineups. The drought has made us do that. Injuries happen, and that is the chance for our prospects to come into the NHL and prove they shouldn’t be sent back down. I’d rather keep all these players and see who rises above the rest because there may be a top line player in there or a star forward.

Reactions: michaelsaas

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Henrique is currently a better 3C than McLeod and he resigned with the Oilers at a massive discount.

That re-signing made McLeod expendable.

I know we overpaid but if that's the forward prospect they insisted on...

Prices for center depth have been crazy, look at the contracts Wennberg and Monahan got.

And Henrique could have gotten a deal like that except he wants a cup and gave EDM a sweetheart deal. That's why we have McLeod today.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Benson, McLeod and Greenway all have strong defensive play. The fourth line can fly and hit.

These are matchup moves. Don had neither the horses nor the acumen for what Lindy is going to do game to game shift to shift this year.

Zucker is a one year stopgap to fill in a top six role (and flip around with Benson some I’d imagine) for Kulich and company to develop more and not be forced into a spot they may not be ready for. I’d like a better winger…but the process makes sense. And Zucker can still play.

There is more of an actual team here than there has been in…how long? Any time in recent or not even that recent memory.

Yes…Savoie is a lot to give up. But they didn’t give it up for Erat on his last legs. McLeod is 24 and is good already. He fits every box in what they want from age to speed to position to defensive metrics. If you value prospects over roster building I’m sorry you had a bad day. But you should know that Kulich, Helenius, Ostlund, Rosen and Wahlberg are still too many high end forward prospects to ever play together.

They gave up Savoie and 43 and what did they get?

Better
Bingo - Lindy is building an identity that we haven’t had since 2012.

Top 6 is set (unless they plan a winger upgrade)
Tuch - Thompson- JJP
Quinn - Cozens - Zucker
Benson - McLeod - Greenway
Beck - Lafferty - Aubrey Kubel

We may upgrade Zuckers spot and push him down the lineup. We may have a prospect win a spot in camp.

But this team can skate, hit, play situational hockey. That’s an upgrade on the last decade of roster construction for this damn franchise

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Tough cost but a gaping hole has been filled. We have enough really good forward prospects that it isn't even going to make a difference unless Savoie becomes elite. He certainly can become that but the staff obviously isn't high on the prospect of that happening or I really doubt they'd have pulled the trigger in this particular trade.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Solid. Adams made a trade from a position of strength (winger prospects) to address a position of weakness (3C). Sure the position of weakness was self-inflicted by way of the Byram trade, but it is what it is. I was never a Savoie true believer; his size and injury just carried too high of a risk profile for me. For some it seems like a giant over-payment, but to me, he was my #5 prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad