Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think the value of prospects (and players) on the Sabres get warped by the fact the NHL product has been so bad for so long. Savoie likely doesn't develop into the same player here as he will in Edmonton. It sucks to give up good prospects for smaller gains on the NHL team, but at some point the Sabres actually need to be a good team before it matters for most of these prospects anyways.

I'm not sure the Oilers have the best track record of developing young players. McDavid and Drai were going to be great anywhere and Bouchard was used to carrying the Knights his last season but the rest are a mixed bag. I love Savoie and I wish it was almost anyone else other than Levi but I get it. Wish Matty nothing but the best though.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
There's no question the 24-25 roster is improved, but man, feels like Adams should have been able to do better than giving up Savoie.

Obviously Helenius/Ostlund/Kulich means they still have plenty of solid F prospects, but I wonder if this also signals that they are higher on Rosen as well to be a scoring wing.

I was in the car when this trade happened and I thought that to myself - Rosén definitely fits into the Sabres plans. We might be really sleeping on him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oilers fan here. McLeod is much better on the wing than at center, he's good defensively so you'd think that he would work well at center but it just never materialized for him at center but maybe he's grows into it. He'll frustrate you with perimeter play but he's a very good puck carrier, is sound defensively and is good on the PK. Solid player with some sneaky good skill but his soft play will frustrate you at times.

He will fit right in. And I mean that in the worst possible way. Lol.

Last edited:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Adams was calling 31 GMs to see what 3Cs without trade protection were available.

McLeod was and this was the cost.

I’d rather Adams make this trade than strike out looking yet again.

Adams has a type this offseason.
I was starting to come around on the idea that Adams was done for the offeason, but at least he hadn't screwed us long term with any albatross contracts or horrific trades. And that the new GM would still have all that ammo to work with next offseason.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
But before that, Kulich had a great playoff, they are still kids and can be unstable.

True. I like the guys with AHL success more than junior success. Kulich was insanely hot in AHL first half of last year. I don't dislike Savoie and wanted more but Kulich to me is the better prospect

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I hate this trade but i can understand this trade.

I don't think Savoie is an NHL center. McLeod is trending to be an above average 3C who will never be "expensive" in th3 way a Mittsy is. I suspect KA doesn't want a 5.5+ salary in that slot. With McLeod Krebs Ostlund Helenius Lafferty and perhaps Kulich you've got 6 years of cost controlled 3C/4C.

McLeod is not "tough" but he is fast smart and defensively sound. He has upside and is the right age and we've got two competent guys in the dot with him and Lafferty.

It blows my mind that we wasted a 9 overall pick. If Savoie was born a day earlier this could be a whole different story. Because of one freaking day, he couldn't play in the AHL his D+1. Unreal.

They must like Rosen a lot.

Savoie can put up big numbers but maybe a Fiala (not the best comparable but im just saying) type winger isn't what is going to get us to the promised land.

I hope we are done with the overpays in these trades. If we make the playoffs this season with McLeod and Malenstyn then I guess it won't hurt as much.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm not sure the Oilers have the best track record of developing young players. McDavid and Drai were going to be great anywhere and Bouchard was used to carrying the Knights his last season but the rest are a mixed bag. I love Savoie and I wish it was almost anyone else other than Levi but I get it. Wish Matty nothing but the best though.

There are just more opportunities for a kid going to a Cup contender (or at least a team capable of making the playoffs). Especially one projecting to the top 6 on a team with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Those opportunities aren't there on the Sabres yet. And the idea that any prospect is going to break out or reach their potential here without fixing the NHL product first is folly.

You'd hope for better value but I think re-tooling the bottom 6 into something with an identity, along with the tools that gives Ruff, will pay dividends throughout the roster that are hard to see right now. That being said, after like 20 years of being a Sabres fan I can do these kinds of mental gymnastics in the offseason lol

Last edited:

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I’m fine with losing a trade on value if it fills a position of need but Savoie feels like a huge price to pay. Adams comes off as desperate to save his job here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad