Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Because he's a proven 3C on the team that just made the Stanley Cup at the age of 24.

He also wins draws. A lot.
This is a trade you make as a contender looking to break through and win the cup.

Adams made this trade to make the playoffs…

Also I’m sure there are comparable 3Cs that can win faceoffs we could have signed in free agency by overpaying… or other trade options

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sabres fans, I know nothing about Savoie, how close is he to the NHL?

I’m McLeod, you are getting one of the best defensive 3Cs and PK guys in the league. Our bottom 6 was unplayable before he got here, he really stabilized the bottom 6 after Mcdrai. Responsible , super fast, but would probably be a 2nd liner if he could up his intensity more. Still, he improves your team today and he’s only 24. I’m a bigger fan of him than many, he’s as close as you can get to a perfect 3C in the regular season. Wish him the best.
He’s not far. He needs to play in the AHL a bit because stupid WHL rules screwed him three different ways and he was stuck in juniors since he was drafted. Fast, high skill, high compete, willing defender, finds open ice. Good at everything but being big and staying fully healthy.

Sabres fans, I know nothing about Savoie, how close is he to the NHL?

I’m McLeod, you are getting one of the best defensive 3Cs and PK guys in the league. Our bottom 6 was unplayable before he got here, he really stabilized the bottom 6 after Mcdrai. Responsible , super fast, but would probably be a 2nd liner if he could up his intensity more. Still, he improves your team today and he’s only 24. I’m a bigger fan of him than many, he’s as close as you can get to a perfect 3C in the regular season. Wish him the best.
He’s not far. He needs to play in the AHL a bit because stupid WHL rules screwed him three different ways and he was stuck in juniors since he was drafted. Fast, high skill, high compete, willing defender, finds open ice. Good at everything but being big and staying fully healthy.

This is a trade you make as a contender looking to break through and win the cup.

Adams made this trade to make the playoffs…

Also I’m sure there are comparable 3Cs that can win faceoffs we could have signed in free agency by overpaying… or other trade options
Cup contenders aren’t looking for 24 year olds. Teams building towards becoming them are.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't love the price but Savoie was pretty much expendable after this year's draft. I'm interested in our upgraded bottom 6 as a backbone for our offense but I'm still not totally sure where the offense is coming from yet. I think Savoie was likely starting in Rochester this year and frankly, if he's not a lock to be helping the team this year in a tangible way, you can still squeeze some value out of him in a trade before taking a gamble and I can make peace with that. I'm not going to make excuses for Kevyn because I think this is a reactionary trade rather than a proactive one but the market has to be pretty slim if this is the price people are shaking out of us.
Let's face it, if this team doesn't make the playoffs this season, then Adams is out and a new GM comes in and is WAY more disruptive than a few prospects moving in and out. Since there would not be a rebuild, that GM would be using these assets to improve the NHL roster, at the same prices.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
If he doesn't play a lot this year, he'll play a lot next year. IMO, he's a wing in the NHL and not a center (which is better for you guys).

Thanks for the report on McLeod -- any opinion on Tullio at all?
Tullio is probably a long shot to make the NHL but if he does it will be as a smart bottom 6 pest with limited offensive upside. I think he’s good enough to get a cup of coffee in the league at least, whether he sticks remains to be seen.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
If he doesn't play a lot this year, he'll play a lot next year. IMO, he's a wing in the NHL and not a center (which is better for you guys).

Thanks for the report on McLeod -- any opinion on Tullio at all?

I actually like Tullio, might be a bit of a long shot at this point but he could be a solid energy bottom-6 option if he works out. Has some skill and plays the type of game that fans love.

mcy35

May 10, 2022
He takes tons of chances away and causes giveaways with his speed a lot. But it gets really frustrating watching him turn down hits on the forechecks, especially when he is the first guy down there most of the time. You will def need to pair him with some physical big boys to have an effective checking line.
I could see Greenway filling that role

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I like the addition of McLeod. He has good advanced stats and he'll easily be our best faceoff center.

I do not like the price.

Especially because EDM was over the cap and needed to shed salary. How do you still overpay by this much when the other team is being forced to trade away players to get under the salary cap?

People grew to hate Murray for pissing away so many assets in trades.

Adams just traded pick #43 for a 4th liner and our best prospect(pick #9 three years ago)for a 3rd liner.

Adams is like a fire hose of pissing away value so far. Imagine how much he'd overpay for an actual big acquisition?

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The whole league thinks Adams is f***ing insane for giving up Savoie for that package. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.
He himself is to blame for this, he overpays because he sat on his small forward prospects for a long time and did nothing

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad