Confirmed with Link: Ryan McGill hired as assistant coach

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Believe it or not when I was a kid in the 80’s we had Mike McGill, Eddie Guerrero and some other dudes that did skate demos come and skate the half pipe me and my friends built in his back yard.

It was a proper ramp too, 9 foot high with a foot of vert, 16 feet wide with a 12 foot flat though the middle, it was insane, full on half pipe.

This was back in the late ‘80s and we had a local skate shop that promoted all the Bones Brigade stuff come skate our ramp. It was insane! Really good dudes, can’t believe they’re closing in on 60 now. If you haven’t seen Tony Hawks documentary you have to watch it.
The Bones Brigade were gleaming your cube.

Not a euphemism.

Started as a good read…thanks.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Could be a big move for this team. Hamilton , Severson , Marino , Sigenthaler , Graves and Smith as our defense as now will be at his disposal. He has players to work with back there so let's see if we can see some better structure defending this season.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’ll just hope this means the end of overloading the puck carrier, leaving the back door wide open. Just give me some structure so the Dzone doesn’t look like a peewee soccer game.
Reading your msg I just had a flashback and started twitching thinking of how easy we made things for the opposing teams forwards with those tap in back door goals.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Reading your msg I just had a flashback and started twitching thinking of how easy we made things for the opposing teams forwards with those tap in back door goals.
Yeah it was really bad last year...not just the tap ins, it was how easy it was for the opposing team to move the puck east/west in our zone...it was like the middle of the ice wasn't defended.

Passes frequently zipped left and right through our zone like the other team was on a PP while one forward ran around looking for someone to cover like the last chair in a game of musical chairs and the other two forwards were looking to breakout.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yeah it was really bad last year...not just the tap ins, it was how easy it was for the opposing team to move the puck east/west in our zone...it was like the middle of the ice wasn't defended.

Passes frequently zipped left and right through our zone like the other team was on a PP while one forward ran around looking for someone to cover like the last chair in a game of musical chairs and the other two forwards were looking to breakout.
I feel like it was actually worse the year before.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Unfortunately the neutral zone setup probably falls on the HC. Hopfully each coach isn't working in silos. Given the explosiveness/aggressiveness of the NHL in transition, the 1 2 2 doesn't work all that well.
So then what can McGill do with the D around the HC‘s setup? Change the coverage style?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ironically…

F2358802-7476-44B3-AC79-8F7BD85CF582.jpeg

A3A05BC4-802E-4A23-86F6-1772CBE3E920.jpeg

Twinsies!

Please lord, make this happen.

2725FB48-125F-4110-A040-E7B803162E36.jpeg

905F1C5F-8B30-4C15-B8EB-A60531DA4429.jpeg

We seemed to have been modifying this *censored* on the big club (or I paid less attention at the end) but I saw it in it’s pure form live when I went to a Utica playoff game and it’s… yeah. Please stop doing this Mr Ruff.

4E3B4D05-E641-465F-A8BA-940B84B4AB6F.jpeg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think Han’s chart is a good snapshot on how the system makes defending the slot and weak side properly challenging and how the breakout can get difficult.

IMO, a better defensive system may benefit the defense and offense.

Reactions: Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
We seemed to have been modifying this *censored* on the big club (or I paid less attention at the end) but I saw it in it’s pure form live when I went to a Utica playoff game and it’s… yeah. Please stop doing this Mr Ruff.
This is great stuff, I am probably gonna cave and buy the playbook just to kmprove my knowledge of scouting and give me a base for coaching moving forward.

In terms of NJ, I fully expect NJ to be a blend of Vegas in their own end/neutral zone and Florida in transition.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Oh they better change that 2 D chasing behind the net crap, we could never pull it off. So many missed assignments in front and back door tap-ins. I’ll never understand not having a defensemen at the net front, just madness.

Swarm is appropriate I guess, like a group of 10 year olds packed together chasing a soccer ball with no regard to where they should be on the field.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Not the head coach, you better believe when Brunette and McGills were interviewed they were asked what systems they would employ given the personnel. Ruff will not be micromanaging all the base structures.
If you think the head coach doesn't set forth the overall systems the team will be using and merely sits back and listens to assistants direct all the tactics then you've never coached.

Reactions: Guttersniped

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If you think the head coach doesn't set forth the overall systems the team will be using and merely sits back and listens to assistants direct all the tactics then you've never coached.
Ordinarily yes. I’m not sure how much actual power Ruff will have this year. His chief associate coach is a guy who was a Jack Adams finalist last year and has a contract that lasts two years longer than his. He may be the definition of a figurehead coach with the edict of systems to run coming from above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad