Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bol...140422/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
“I didn’t come in with too many expectations with this my first time being traded, I didn’t really know what to think coming into a new group,’’ he said. “But I guess my biggest surprise or what I’m happy about is how well I’ve got accepted here and how good the guys are in this room.’’

Callahan has learned a lot about his new group of teammates, as well, since joining the team on March 5.

“Your learn a lot over the course, just about the personality, how talented we are and how much skill we have and when we apply it how good we can be,’’ Callahan said. “Then in the room I think the resilience of this group, we fought hard to get home ice advantage and not too many people thought we were going to get that, and we go through a stretch where we gain a point and 11 straight games.

“So we have another challenge in front of us and I feel like the guys can answer that and this group is ready for it.’’

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cap-space for Callahan shouldn't be a problem in the near-term, especially if we're able to buy Malone out. We should be able to get rid of a decent chunk of money in the off-season and the cap is going up a fair amount as well. You also have to factor Marty's money, which isn't here anymore, into the equation. We can afford a big contract for Callahan if management feels he's a long-term fit. And it shouldn't affect our ability to go after a #2D, since there'll be money going out in a trade.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
JT Brown is better than Callahan and is much cheaper.

His disallowed goal was just the pile of crap he had to deal with this season. Between injuries, being traded and that. He does not need to be criticized by Tampa fans now, especially since he was far from the issue or problem to this series.

Last edited:

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
His disallowed goal was just the pile of crap he had to deal with this season. Between injuries, being traded and that. He does not need to be criticized by Tampa fans now, especially since he was far from the issue or problem to this series.

He's not worth what he's asking. Not even close. JT Brown is the same player...only younger and so much cheaper.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Really, it all comes down to what Cally's final price is. We are all going to be annoyed with how crap this series was for most of the players on this team. I think Cally could be an important piece for this team in the future, but it just didn't show this last week.
He isn't worth a 6 x 6 contract to us, though. If he were a 5-5.5 for 5 range (like Flip) then yes, he would be a home run re-sign. If he isn't going to budge from 6x6 then we should let him walk.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's not worth what he's asking. Not even close. JT Brown is the same player...only younger and so much cheaper.

What is he worth? You don't know, I don't know. It depends what a team is willing to give him. Please don't be bitter because Tampa lost, Callahan did not ask to come here, he came here, was one of the big keys in helping to get this team into the playoffs and home ice advantage. He is not going to be a point per game forward. Flip getting hurt, and Palat being taken off his line did not exactly help him in those last 5 regular season games. He gets a goal in the playoffs, and it's called off. The effort is there, and with effort like that the goals will come.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
ahhhhh....no

LOL, I got reminded of this scene...

Really, it all comes down to what Cally's final price is. We are all going to be annoyed with how crap this series was for most of the players on this team. I think Cally could be an important piece for this team in the future, but it just didn't show this last week.
He isn't worth a 6 x 6 contract to us, though. If he were a 5-5.5 for 5 range (like Flip) then yes, he would be a home run re-sign. If he isn't going to budge from 6x6 then we should let him walk.

Cally's worth according to like TSN is about 5.5 to 5.7 million, it would be like making over 6 million in NY because of the tax situation. Tampa certainly has the edge to sign him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A point in his favor is we're going to be a far worse team if we don't sign him or someone like him. That ups his value, IMO, by at least a few hundred K. To us. Maybe over all his value is a little lower. But if you have a flat tire and there's one tire available to you, usually you're going to pay a little extra to get it rather than wait by the side of the road until a cheaper one becomes available.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
His postgame today, he kept saying "we." "We need to learn from it for next year." Take from it what you will.

Also, I never noticed, but he's got quite the beak.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
His postgame today, he kept saying "we." "We need to learn from it for next year." Take from it what you will.

That is the sort of thing you want to hear from someone like Cally. Means he is taking us as a serious contender for his work.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Wouldn't miss him too much if he's gone. I don't know if Yzerman will go over 5 X 5. Clarkson was a "must-sign" for Toronto for the same reasons - doesn't score much but has that physical element and "character personality". No need to break the bank on him and I'd also prefer a short term deal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wouldn't miss him too much if he's gone. I don't know if Yzerman will go over 5 X 5. Clarkson was a "must-sign" for Toronto for the same reasons - doesn't score much but has that physical element and "character personality". No need to break the bank on him and I'd also prefer a short term deal.

We got a test-run with Cally though. It's really not comparable to Toronto and Clarkson, although that deal unquestionably drove Cally's price up. Cally's will drive up the price of power forwards going forward. Players aren't going to get cheaper. Within a couple of years, players worse than Cally will be demanding 6 million, and getting it. This is just the new math.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Callahan's career high is 10 points in the playoffs, that's not even secondary scoring good. I never followed his playoff runs as a Ranger but at this point the Lightning are building to get deeper and deeper in the playoffs every year, I would be against resigning Callahan for a longterm/steep price if he can't bring it when it matters.

We could end up in the playoffs next year with a
Purcell (4.5m)- Filppula (5.0m)- Callahan (6.0m) 16 million dollar second line that produced 1 goal-1 assist and a combined -8 in 4 games, (albiet Filppula is probably recovering from injury).

My benefit of the doubt for Purcell is gone with this years playoffs because he had a stellar one in 2011 and he blew it this time around, there's actually no logical reason to even keep him around anymore, I'd rather put time into someone like Connolly now.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan's career high is 10 points in the playoffs, that's not even secondary scoring good. I never followed his playoff runs as a Ranger but at this point the Lightning are building to get deeper and deeper in the playoffs every year, I would be against resigning Callahan for a longterm/steep price if he can't bring it when it matters.

We could end up in the playoffs next year with a
Purcell (4.5m)- Filppula (5.0m)- Callahan (6.0m) 16 million dollar second line that produced 1 goal-1 assist and a combined -8 in 4 games, (albiet Filppula is probably recovering from injury).

My benefit of the doubt for Purcell is gone with this years playoffs because he had a stellar one in 2011 and he blew it this time around, there's actually no logical reason to even keep him around anymore, I'd rather put time into someone like Connolly now.

He scored 6 goals in 20 games (That's above average goal scoring), when the Rangers reached the ECF in the 2012 playoffs, he was one of the best forwards for that ECF series, rest of the team ran out of gas. Last season, he scored two key goals, including a game tying one against Boston, he also was playing last season with a torn shoulder, so was limited.

He will score goals in those key moments, he did score a goal in Game 3 to put Tampa ahead. But it was disallowed and it was a bad call. He made a ton of hard hits, created turnovers, screened the goalie but had no points to show for it.

So, I don't understand what more you expected from him, Flip was not good this series at all, likely because of injury. Did not help that line to get going. Also, why would Cooper put Cally with Stamkos and Palat if he felt he was not having a good series or at least worthy enough to be on the same line with the top guys on the team?

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I want him back. He gives us a lot that we don't have. He came in on fire with that line with Palat and Flip which probably increased expectations unrealistically. The fact is he gives us a great net presence on the PP, a solid PKer (seriously, our PK should be WAY better next year if we can have Palat/Johnson, Cally/Flip, Thompson/Brown as the three units for the whole season), and some sandpaper we just don't have.

I hope he comes back. We're a better team with him on it than without him.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

I'm going to take issue with this bolded part. You can't take any negative things you read about him so personally.

First off, I want him back. I think he adds an element this team needs. If Brown can do it too, that's awesome. There is enough room on the team for more than one of these guys.

But Cally is up for just as much criticism as anybody else. The entire team is. We had very few players that gave an impressive performance this series. And while I don't think he was bad and he did get screwed out of one goal, he didn't really step it up either. Everybody needs to look at themselves this offseason and realize that they have room for improvement.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Everyone quick to forget how dominant Pallahan line was I see

Every line with Palat is our best line. For some reason, that trait just follows that kid around. Either he's the luckiest SOB in the league, or he's the one that makes it happen.

storm fan

Dec 20, 2004

You would have quite the beak too if your nose was broken numerous times.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa

That is good to see. I do like Callahan and how he fits into this team and want to see Yzerman work out a deal with him. Hopefully, Ryan realizes Tampa is a good fit for him and it is a team on the rise and will be somewhat reasonable with his demands.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm going to take issue with this bolded part. You can't take any negative things you read about him so personally.

First off, I want him back. I think he adds an element this team needs. If Brown can do it too, that's awesome. There is enough room on the team for more than one of these guys.

But Cally is up for just as much criticism as anybody else. The entire team is. We had very few players that gave an impressive performance this series. And while I don't think he was bad and he did get screwed out of one goal, he didn't really step it up either. Everybody needs to look at themselves this offseason and realize that they have room for improvement.

I would not be rooting for Tampa if Cally was not traded here. So it is a little personal. A lot of people follow their favorite player, or at least root for that team like myself. I'm still rooting for the Rangers now, but I think by next season if Cally re-signs here will just be rooting for Tampa.

I agree, that he was not excellent in the playoffs, he was also not terrible or even mediocre, he played well with what he had to work with. But like you said there is a room for a lot of improvement. I just think this was not the year, between the no goal call, and Stamkos breaking his stick when he is wide open, plus Bishop, Palat, and Flip all getting hurt was the writing on the wall of this series outcome.

But with that said only around 5 months to the next season. That is not too far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad