RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Talk about pressure Button compared Wahlstrom to Mike Bossy before he was drafted by the islanders.

He did multiple times but I think he was doing it referring to Wahlstroms ability to shoot from anywhere on the ice and score. Also his quick release. Other than that his game isn’t really similar to Bossys.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Get more points than him? That’s Generally how you out produce another player.

No like how when the only thing that he is better at is shooting and even that isn't a huge margin as Svechnikov can wire it as well.

Like what is he better at than Svechnikov according to you.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No like how when the only thing that he is better at is shooting and even that isn't a huge margin as Svechnikov can wire it as well.

Whalstrom is And was one of my favorite prospects and I actually had him rated #3 pre draft and I had Svechnikov #2.

Svechnikov is definitely a beast. I think he will make an impact faster at the nhl level than Wahlstrom will. That being said, I don’t think there’s a huge separation between them and I don’t think it would be that surprising if Wahlstrom eventually out produces him though at the next level.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018

Just like Yakupov used to be better at everything?

Imo Svechnikov is a bit over-hyped compared to others in the draft. From my viewings, Svechnikov plays a pretty passive game and relies on his speed to produce points. He can be invisible most game and then pounce. He has great tools close to the net and in the juniors he can muscle his way to the net.

On the other side, while Wahlstrom can use his speed to create offensive opportunities, he plays more of a cerebral game where he will end up in spots with the puck and use his skills to get the puck to the net (and he had the best shots per game ratio of all draft available players). He usually don't need to mix it up physically but he will if he needs to.

Reactions: SI90

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Just like Yakupov used to be better at everything?

Imo Svechnikov is a bit over-hyped compared to others in the draft. From my viewings, Svechnikov plays a pretty passive game and relies on his speed to produce points. He can be invisible most game and then pounce. He has great tools close to the net and in the juniors he can muscle his way to the net.

On the other side, while Wahlstrom can use his speed to create offensive opportunities, he plays more of a cerebral game where he will end up in spots with the puck and use his skills to get the puck to the net (and he had the best shots per game ratio of all draft available players). He usually don't need to mix it up physically but he will if he needs to.

wow it couldn't be more the opposite lol

also what on earth does yakupov have to do with anything?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I never understood the Bossy comparison other than shot and position. Bossy was slippery where Wahlstrom just kind of bulls his way into the dirty areas. Another comp would be Kyle Okposo with a much heavier shot.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I would have been happy with the Canucks taking Wahlstrom, but he has been compared to Boeser and the Canucks really needed a dman

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would have been happy with the Canucks taking Wahlstrom, but he has been compared to Boeser and the Canucks really needed a dman

Can’t complain with the Canucks going with Hughes.

Pettersson Boeser up front and Juolevi Hughes on the backend and Demko in net is a great young core and building blocks.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So apparently Tkachuk isn't ready for the NHL next season, and Wahlstrom is closer to the NHL than people think (Aka both should start in 2019-2020). So Tkachuk's one strength over Wahlstrom (Minus physicality) has been neutralized. LOL, please fire Dorion and sell the team Melnyk, this is embarassing. Also for the record, if the Sens picked Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, or of course ZADINA over Wahlstrom, I wouldn't even have been upset. It's the fact that they passed on all 5 said players for Tkachuk that baffles me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So apparently Tkachuk isn't ready for the NHL next season, and Wahlstrom is closer to the NHL than people think (Aka both should start in 2019-2020). So Tkachuk's one strength over Wahlstrom (Minus physicality) has been neutralized. LOL, please fire Dorion and sell the team Melnyk, this is embarassing. Also for the record, if the Sens picked Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, or of course ZADINA over Wahlstrom, I wouldn't even have been upset. It's the fact that they passed on all 5 said players for Tkachuk that baffles me.

This seems like a real narrow way of looking at things. There wasn't much expectation Tkachuk would be in the NHL next season at all.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

For the record I had Wahlstrom ranked at #3 ahead of Tkachuk but it’s still so early to know what picks were good and what picks were bad.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Kase

May 1, 2016
For the record I had Wahlstrom ranked at #3 ahead of Tkachuk but it’s still so early to know what picks were good and what picks were bad.
Out of curiousity, where did you have Dobson ranked?

Reactions: SI90

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Tkachuk isn't even ready for NHL? Man. I know I didn't even have him in the top 10 but his NHL readiness should have been his redeeming factor.

It's true that Wahlstrom has been very impressive from what I've seen. He seems like a lock to become a real impact player in NHL, a 30+30 type of a guy or perhaps even better than that.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Out of curiousity, where did you have Dobson ranked?

1-Dahlin
2-Svechnikov
3-Wahlstrom
4-Zadina
5-Dobson
6-Bouchard
7-Hughes
8- Boqvist
9-Kravtsov
10-Ty Smith
11- Tkachuk

I’m not an expert. I saw mostly The US development program and OHL. I saw limited WHL and Q but I watch many shift by shift videos. I prefer those to highlight videos because highlight videos are made to make everyone look good and usually doesn’t show other aspects of the players games.

I was a huge fan of Bouchard and think highly of him but I think his defensive game needs work. I just feel that Dobson ceiling is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad