RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
He is one-dimensional, you can look at his scouting reports. The thing is that said dimensional is absolutely elite.
Some quotes from the first scouting profile I clicked on:

"Wahlstrom is one of the top goal-scoring prospects in this draft. He plays an in-your-face style and crashes the net with little regard for his own safety. He also kills penalties and can provide any coach with the necessary intangibles they covet."

"He has the puck skills to create room for himself and get his shot off from above the face-off dots, and the size and strength to execute below the circles."

"Owns some of the best pure puck skills in the draft. The goal-scoring forward doesn’t shy away from attacking dangerous scoring areas and boasts strong speed and quick feet."

That does not sound one-dimensional at all to me.

Reactions: ds4130 and PWJunior

Vancity96

Apr 13, 2014
I totally see the Rick Nash comparison. Big body, great shot, silky smooth hands around the net. He will learn the defensive side of the game as he matures (which isn't bad already), and has all the potential to be a first line 2-way power forward/sniper, whether it is on the wing or up the middle.

If the Canucks were lower and couldn't get one of Hughes or Boqvist, I would have nabbed Wahlstrom for sure.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I totally see the Rick Nash comparison. Big body, great shot, silky smooth hands around the net. He will learn the defensive side of the game as he matures (which isn't bad already), and has all the potential to be a first line 2-way power forward/sniper, whether it is on the wing or up the middle.

If the Canucks were lower and couldn't get one of Hughes or Boqvist, I would have nabbed Wahlstrom for sure.
I dont think hell ever have much power to his game but hell be the sniper type Nash

Reactions: ds4130

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know exactly how Nash played in Columbus, but Nash didn't even have a good shot with the Rangers. He was like the exact opposite of Wahlstrom in almost every attribute. He scored almost all his goals very close in.

I also think Wahlstrom is very one-dimensional, which is why I've continuously been lower on him than other people. I don't know who ends up better between Wahlstrom and Kravtsov, and I actually liked the Isles draft a lot more than ours, but I don't think Wahlstrom is a sure thing 30-40 goal scorer per season. I think the Rangers made the right pick, if its Wahlstrom or Kravtsov, but its obviously close. I had them one spot difference on my draft board.

Reactions: Mrb1p

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I know it is early. But he looks good. Is there a realistic chance he makes the Isles this season? There are openings!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He could be I wouldn’t rush him. Let him go to BC and be one and done.

The kid in camp has been terrific. The plan would be to return him to College. But in extraordinary cases. If a player makes it impossible. You let him start the season for atleast 9 games before returning him. I would lean to having another year atleast in college. But who knows this kid looks like he can score in any league.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The kid in camp has been terrific. The plan would be to return him to College. But in extraordinary cases. If a player makes it impossible. You let him start the season for atleast 9 games before returning him. I would lean to having another year atleast in college. But who knows this kid looks like he can score in any league.

The thing is he can’t play 9 games and return to college. Once he’s signs an ELC he’s no longer eligible to play NCAA. For Wahlstrom it’s either turn pro or go to college. His father has always been so vocal about and advocating for college hockey.

He’s physically ready and has the tools but he’s still just 18. I don’t think waiting one more year would hurt. Especially since losing Tavares I don’t want him to be part of this first year with any added pressure on himself.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know exactly how Nash played in Columbus, but Nash didn't even have a good shot with the Rangers. He was like the exact opposite of Wahlstrom in almost every attribute. He scored almost all his goals very close in.

I also think Wahlstrom is very one-dimensional, which is why I've continuously been lower on him than other people. I don't know who ends up better between Wahlstrom and Kravtsov, and I actually liked the Isles draft a lot more than ours, but I don't think Wahlstrom is a sure thing 30-40 goal scorer per season. I think the Rangers made the right pick, if its Wahlstrom or Kravtsov, but its obviously close. I had them one spot difference on my draft board.

He just turned 18... not everyone is a complete player at 18. He has tremendous talent and upside.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I don't know what you consider dimensions, but Wahlstrom appears to have a physical game, which would make him 2-dimensional at least.
Wahlstrom is a big guy, but he doesn't use his size to win battles against the boards very often. If he is near the puck, he will go after it. Although if he see's that he has to chase a guy down to get the puck, he doesn't feel like using his energy to either fore check or back check. He is very useful when he is around the puck and is a deadly shooter on the pp.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

He can't play 9 NHL games then go back to college though. I would Tell Wahlstrom hey if you want to sign with us we will send you to the AHL with a 10% you make the big team.

To me he is a guy who has all the offensive tools already but needs to work on his defense so playing in the AHL or NHL might not be a bad idea

Reactions: SI90

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
They shouldn't burn a year off his ELC unless they really need him there to give the fans hope, cause it's going to probably be a rough year for Islanders fans.

He can stay the entire year in the AHL working on his game under the watchful eyes of the Isles brass and have his ELC slide, twice if it's repeated the season after. As long as he doesn't play enough NHL games in either season.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I think Bellows has more of a chance now, but who knows both could stick now.

Unless either play C, which they don't, I can't seem them both making the Isles. Top 6 wingers are pretty much set: unless they move Beauvillier to C (he played there in junior) - Bellows does need some AHL seasoning and Wahlstrom should go to college. Slow and steady wins the race

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
During the first half of the season when the calder race was heated some Islanders and Canucks fans had some good debates and jokes about Barzal and Boeser and discussed joining the two to one team and looks like the Islanders just went ahead and found their own Boeser but three years younger and with more muscle lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What the heck, how did he score 30 and over 8 times ? Thats ridiculous, guy always had a great shot and he was a volume shooter.

I think it's stupid to say Nash has a bad shot but isn't the bulk of his goals up close and in dirty areas? He had a pretty decent writer though

Reactions: lawrence

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think it's stupid to say Nash has a bad shot but isn't the bulk of his goals up close and in dirty areas? He had a pretty decent writer though
I don't know, but Ive seen him laser pucks passed goalies for more than 15 years now. He has one of the hardest wrister in the game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't know, but Ive seen him laser pucks passed goalies for more than 15 years now. He has one of the hardest wrister in the game.

Maybe not best but I think Kessel's wrister is up there(kessel can also do a good slap wrister combo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad