RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I've been saying since the beginning that the KHL contract was a non-issue.

Look at his threads back through his draft year.
All of this character stuff is bullshift. I don't care about Bobrov. I don't care about noise MCs from mtl media, guy is competitive and wants to win. This is what you will see from any high talented player. In any interview he is very nice guy and he is big fan of hockey who works a lot and works hard.

But yeah, we can believe in character issues until some Whitney trash can level person will say that he didn't like to play with him in his tenure.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
All of this character stuff is bullshift. I don't care about Bobrov. I don't care about noise MCs from mtl media, guy is competitive and wants to win. This is what you will see from any high talented player. In any interview he is very nice guy and he is big fan of hockey who works a lot and works hard.

But yeah, we can believe in character issues until some Whitney trash can level person will say that he didn't like to play with him in his tenure.

I wasn't really thinking about that issue quite as much.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Yes. But if SKA intended to play Michkov next year, they would not have sent him to PHI right?

Why is he loaned now ? Why would Rotenberg has a personal dislike for him?

????

SKA is not sending Michkov to Philadelphia. Per KHL rules, Michkov has a legal right to unilaterally terminate his contract, however compensation needs to be paid. This is undoubtedly what is occurring now. The entire process takes like a year and a half.

And Rotenberg probably dislikes Michkov because of it. Michkov signed a long-term deal and wanted out half way through.
Rotenberg is just the type of asshole to hold a grudge to the extent of even loaning Michkov to Sochi because of it. .

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
????

SKA is not sending Michkov to Philadelphia. Per KHL rules, Michkov has a legal right to unilaterally terminate his contract, however compensation needs to be paid. This is undoubtedly what is occurring now. The entire process takes like a year and a half.

And Rotenberg probably dislikes Michkov because of it. Michkov signed a long-term deal and wanted out half way through.
Rotenberg is just the type of asshole to hold a grudge to the extent of even loaning Michkov to Sochi because of it. .

I don't think he can unilaterally forfeit it. The team have to agree too. And the fact that SKA have accepted it kinda imply that he would not have played for them next year.

Why?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
That's not quite true.

Marat Khusnutdinov became a regular for St.Petersburg when Rotenberg took over from Bragin.

Also, look at the goalies Rotenberg used this season.
You keep embarrassing yourself. Marat played a total of 12 games at 18-19 and didn't play a full season under Rotenberg until he was 20. He was scratched and buried very often. Do you need me to DM you KHL stream sources so you have a better idea of what you're talking about?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
If the experts belabored his 3 year contract as the primary issue with Michkov then you are correct.

Many experts had more substantive issues.

It really might not matter unless he's an impact player before 2026.

I've also heard about Carolina trying to buy out Nikishin's deal.

It seems more extra-legal than illegal, if you know what I mean.
Each and every experts ONLY issue was contract. He was up there with Bedard otherwise, to pretend any different is ignorant

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Each and every experts ONLY issue was contract. He was up there with Bedard otherwise, to pretend any different is ignorant

Well I think we listen to different experts then.

Perhaps start with the hockeyprospect Blackbook.

A lot of scouts had MIchkov 4th or later for reasons other than his contract. And that would make sense, few of these guys are going to elevate their teams before 2026 anyways. Why would you pick Will Smith over Michkov because of Michkov's contract? Is Will Smith going to be an impact player in the next two years? Is Reinbacher? It's hard to expect any of them to emerge that early, including Michkov, Fantilli, and Carlsson.

A part of the calculus is that you have a small slow player who has been injured a lot. A ton of inconsistency, needs help from linemates in the defensive zone and neutral zone. They factored all of it in. It's fine if you don't know that, but you're not on top of expert opinion on this one.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Didn't Montreal's scout say the unknown surrounding Michkov's contract contributed to the team picking one guy over another? I thought it was pretty explicit last year at the draft. The risk of Michkov not coming over immediately was dangerous for GMs who are graded every season. Also, there were some people who even questioned whether he would come over at all. Those were always ridiculous voices. The other factor I heard was scouts in the NHL had not seen him in person since the tournament before Russia was booted from international Competition in 2021.

I think if you asked experts on the day of the draft when these decisions were being made "waiting for Michkov" was why he fell. Some may argue positional value too, but those people were influenced by his KHL contract too. I wonder if there were no conditions such as that, if some of the teams taking center would have weighed Michkov differently with the wait ending up being one season.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

A lot of scouts had MIchkov 4th or later for reasons other than his contract. And that would make sense, few of these guys are going to elevate their teams before 2026 anyways. Why would you pick Will Smith over Michkov because of Michkov's contract? Is Will Smith going to be an impact player in the next two years? Is Reinbacher? It's hard to expect any of them to emerge that early, including Michkov, Fantilli, and Carlsson.

A part of the calculus is that you have a small slow player who has been injured a lot. A ton of inconsistency, needs help from linemates in the defensive zone and neutral zone. They factored all of it in. It's fine if you don't know that, but you're not on top of expert opinion on this one.
Some gms and writers can do mistakes. As people from hfboards. Some different people had Michkov not in the top 4. Pronman has Demidov as 8th best prospect.

People can do mistakes.
But only stupid ones can’t admit it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

"Small slow player"? "Has been injured a lot"?

I know what HP said about Michkov and it's not this. This is literally out of your weird imagination, bud.

What HP says and what many people have said, including me, is that Michkov doesn't have outstanding straight line speed. But absolutely no one denies his quickness and edgework, which is great.

So stop saying nonsense. People can see that you're saying nonsense and it's not making you look any smarter.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
that's michkov all right. a spot on description.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Michkov has pretty much broken every record imaginable as a Russian junior player, dominated every single junior tournament he participated in and set the records playing for a terrible KHL team.

He’s as much of a superstar entering the league as Bedard.
Your expectations are way too high. Personally, I'm just happy to watch him play in the NHL. We'll see about the rest. Especially knowing about his history of healthy scratches I think we have to be patient. Torts isn't gonna be more forgiving than Michkov's KHL coaches. If Michkov manages to play a full season without getting healthy scratched I'll consider it a success regardless of his offensive contributions.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I feel like I'm going to cry a lot next year. Michkov was the ideal complement to Slafkovksy.

Choosing Reinbacher because he arrives early in the NHL ? Michkov will be there long before him.

Choosing Reinbacher because he is an attractive right-handed defender ? There are 3 who are at his level this year.I had Reinbacher 6 on my list but last year, it wasn't difficult to draft.

You took the remaining player between Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith and Michkov.

Arizona didn't take him because Michkov didn't want to play for an uncertain franchise, but Montreal had no excuse. And this year, the franchise would not have to prioritize taking a forward in a back draft. Damn.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"Small slow player"? "Has been injured a lot"?

I know what HP said about Michkov and it's not this. This is literally out of your weird imagination, bud.

What HP says and what many people have said, including me, is that Michkov doesn't have outstanding straight line speed. But absolutely no one denies his quickness and edgework, which is great.

So stop saying nonsense. People can see that you're saying nonsense and it's not making you look any smarter.

I wasn't quoting HP. I mentioned them and then later discussed some issues that scouts have brought up at various points.

But you don't think they think he's small? Is him being small in dispute?

It's utterly weird that we can debate why NHL teams have a tendency to pass on smaller players, it's a huge topic on these boards every year. But when teams pass on Michkov there is a huge resistance from Michkov stans to the idea that teams may have factored in that he was small. Like to even factor it in along with everything else good and bad is just an impossibility to you.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I wasn't quoting HP. I mentioned them and then later discussed some issues that scouts have brought up at various points.

It's utterly weird that we can debate why NHL teams have a tendency to pass on smaller players, it's a huge topic on these boards every year. But when teams pass on Michkov there is a huge resistance from Michkov stans to the idea that teams may have factored in that he was small. Like to even factor it in along with everything else good and bad is just an impossibility to you.
Because teams are okay with skating and size of Bedard.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Your expectations are way too high. Personally, I'm just happy to watch him play in the NHL. We'll see about the rest. Especially knowing about his history of healthy scratches I think we have to be patient. Torts isn't gonna be more forgiving than Michkov's KHL coaches. If Michkov manages to play a full season without getting healthy scratched I'll consider it a success regardless of his offensive contributions.

His history of healthy scratches in Sochi was 1 game out of 75. And even that one game is questionable because people said he didn't play it because he was in bad physical conditions after illness.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

I spoke with someone very high up in SKA last summer and he specifically cited Michkov's size and skating as reasons why they're not so high on him over on the team. Nothing about attitude or whatever.

(I won't say who it was, so don't ask)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad