RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This is the point where your credibility, such as it was, went right out the window. You did no research (game logs are available, if you're willing to put in the effort to look), you decided that you could extrapolate from a single data point (you cannot), you were wrong (blatantly so), people called you out on it (correctly), and you continued to claim you were right despite all evidence to the contrary (you're not.)
I don't know what you're trying to tell me. I just stated some facts.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
That's not quite true.

Marat Khusnutdinov became a regular for St.Petersburg when Rotenberg took over from Bragin.

Also, look at the goalies Rotenberg used this season.

Khusnutidov was already a regular when Rotenberg was hired mid-season. Goalies are not forwards.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
@Guadana those were your words not Michkovs.

Anyway, I still think the teams that passed on him saw something in him they didn't like. Either the player or the man or both.

Philly deserves some good fortune so I hope he works out for them.

Reactions: Devonator

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I maintain that GMs didn't pass on Michkov because waiting on him to come over hurts the team (I mean, a rebuilding team getting a 21yo star on an ELC as they enter contention.. sign me up) but because they selfishly didn't want to wait 3 years and jeopardize their own job.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I maintain that GMs didn't pass on Michkov because waiting on him to come over hurts the team (I mean, a rebuilding team getting a 21yo star on an ELC as they enter contention.. sign me up) but because they selfishly didn't want to wait 3 years and jeopardize their own job.

Mike Grier and Kent Hughes are fresh hires, they have a lot of years before they hit the hot seat and need to start thinking like that. And you'd think Bill Armstrong has a lot of cred left too.

Having a guy come in NHL ready and score half a point per game isn't going to save your job anyways. (see Jarmo Kekalainen).

It isn't until guys fully pop, years later, that they can save a GM's job.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
That's not quite true.

Marat Khusnutdinov became a regular for St.Petersburg when Rotenberg took over from Bragin.

Also, look at the goalies Rotenberg used this season.

Wait, what?

Khusnutdinov was buried by Rotenberg once it became known he wasn't signing an extension. He was eventually shipped off to Sochi. And goalies? The young Moysevich has numerous years left on his contract, so Roma is giving him time. ALso the very talented Ivanov will be shipped off to Sochi next year.

To use Rotenberg's roster management as any indication of talent is farcical. The guy is a incompetent buffoon. Political nepotism personified. An embarrassment to Russian hockey.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That's ridiculous. Top 5 defenseman are rarely impact players in that 3 year window either.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well it seems like the only other discernible reason is stupidity then because there doesn't seem to be much teeth to the idea that he wouldn't play for the vast majority of other teams
Afraid or stupid. Thats the only two reasons you could think of that made :

Anaheim choose Carlsson
CBJ choose Fantilli
SJS choose Smith
Mon choose Reinbacher
and
ARI choose Simashev

It couldn't be because they preferred the player they selected.

Glad I stopped by today.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Afraid or stupid. Thats the only two reasons you could think of that made :

Anaheim choose Carlsson
CBJ choose Fantilli
SJS choose Smith
Mon choose Reinbacher
and
ARI choose Simashev

It couldn't be because they preferred the player they selected.

Glad I stopped by today.

Teams always pick players they prefer over others. For example Philadelphia picked Nolan Patrick 2OA in 2017 because it prefered him over Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson and others. The question is though are they happy now with their pick...

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Wait, what?

Khusnutdinov was buried by Rotenberg once it became known he wasn't signing an extension. He was eventually shipped off to Sochi. And goalies? The young Moysevich has numerous years left on his contract, so Roma is giving him time. ALso the very talented Ivanov will be shipped off to Sochi next year.

To use Rotenberg's roster management as any indication of talent is farcical. The guy is a incompetent buffoon. Political nepotism personified. An embarrassment to Russian hockey.

He isn't just a buffoon, he's an asshole. So many right words about family values and Michkov's personal problems, but if you're a family and you wanted to support the kid so much why didn't you invite him to your Team Russia? Michkov 100% wanted to play for it, and it would be a great sign of support.

Rotenberg words are worth nothing, it's always been this way.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Teams always pick players they prefer over others. For example Philadelphia picked Nolan Patrick 2OA in 2017 because it prefered him over Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson and others. The question is though are they happy now with their pick...

Patrick was the favored #1 pick for most of that year though, who could have predicted all of the injuries? I don't agree with this comparison.

I think a better comparison would be Tony DeAngelo, a lot of teams passed on him despite his talent level because he was seen as a toxic locker room teammate.

• Haha

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Patrick was the favored #1 pick for most of that year though, who could have predicted all of the injuries? I don't agree with this comparison.

I think a better comparison would be Tony DeAngelo, a lot of teams passed on him despite his talent level because he was seen as a toxic locker room teammate.
Perhaps Josh Ho-Sang?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
GMBA said he hadn't met with Michkov one day before the draft.

At 2:15ish.

That's why (at least partially) Arizona passed on him and there are rumours that he avoided or didn't want to go to Arizona.

Very interesting video in general looking back.

Reactions: Hinterland

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I'm afraid even healthy Patrick wouldn't be anywhere close to Makar or Heiskanen by the level of skill and play...

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Your post is full with nothing but excuses. For a prospect once seen as a real alternative to Bedard certainly a lot went wrong for Michkov recently and there are lots of red flags compared to Bedard who can't seem to put a foot wrong.

Good point with Bedard! Last time I checked he was good enough for Great Britain and Denmark and not so much generational against real hockey nations. I saw a lot of red flags!

Btw, Michkov was much more responsible defensively in Sochi than Bedard in Chicago. If Connor had played like that in the KHL, he would have ended up in the VHL.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Nolan Patrick is retired from hockey. Makar and Petterson are superstars.

Michkov and three other players drafted before him have yet to play a single game in the nhl, let alone establish themselves as superstars.

Carlsson and Fantilli had somewhat unimpressive rookie seasons statistically. So did Alex barkov.

It's too early to be speaking in absolutes.

The draft you referenced was 7 years ago. Michkov was drafted last summer.

Following?

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad