RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 5

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Remind what would your pick have been then? If it's not Michkov and not Reinbacher.
Wanted Leonard, primarily. Would that have been a mistake? Maybe, but it’s too early to say. The rationale was/is that the Habs have a ton of small scoring wingers in the system already. Leonard is a strong, fast two-way winger with elite offensive skill who plays a hard-nosed game and thrives in the dirty areas, down low and along the boards, and crashes the net. All shit that Michkov does not, and will likely never bring to the table.

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
I feel sorry for Michkov because Philly is a dead team. Their prospect pool really sucks. it's not SJ or Anaheim or even Chicago. They need at least top 3 pick in the next couple of years, ideally win the lottery in 2026

I’m sure after this Draft and the next we will be singing a different tune about Philly’s prospect pool

Reactions: Hockeypete49

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
This year Michkov will become even more dangerous as he continues to adapt and learn. But I also expect him to physically hit a wall at some point, though he probably will work his way out of it. The NHL grind can be daunting for young rookies. Bedard hit the wall at the end of last year.
82 games is a marathon, so this is both a fair and realistic take. The NHL is a grind most kids really havent expierenced before. If he doesn't hit the wall dope. If he does it really shouldn't impact what has potential to be a really impressive rookie Campaign

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was on the ice for 6 out his team’s 7 goals today. Thats some Panarin shit.

I swear Panarin will have these games where you’re like how did he get 3 points, and it’s a complete walk in the park for him.

This wasn’t Michkov’s best game, but 2 points and on the ice for 6 goals scored by his team. Absurd play driving.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
82 games is a marathon, so this is both a fair and realistic take. The NHL is a grind most kids really havent expierenced before. If he doesn't hit the wall dope. If he does it really shouldn't impact what has potential to be a really impressive rookie Campaign

Most kids didn't play against men since they were 16-17, lets see.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I can sense our friend is starting to see the light
My position has always been the same. I always acknowledged Michkov could and even would become a good offensive contributor. Nothing has changed, and certainly not after 9 games.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Because it’s true? Tf. Considered Benson and even Dvorsky too, fwiw.

If you take those 3 players above Michkov, I hope you become the next penguins GM.

Pls envision this before you sleep tonite:

Demidov stickhandles through two players and finds Michkov backdoor who sneaks behind the defense for a tap in goal. 1-0 Canadiens.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He’s among the biggest blind Hab followers on the site . Double and tripling down
Dude, literally all you do on here is hate on the Habs and their players and prospects, and slobber all over Michkov because you use it to troll Habs fans. Idk, how or why you continue to get away with your schtick, but everyone knows not to take you seriously. Go toss/burn another jersey.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If you take those 3 players above Michkov, I hope you become the next penguins GM.

Pls envision this before you sleep tonite:

Demidov stickhandles through two players and finds Michkov backdoor who sneaks behind the defense for a tap in goal. 1-0 Canadiens.
Way to completely ignore a sincere post just to get your pathetic little jab in. I guess every GM who passed on Michkov should be fired too…after 9 games. Should we dig up some of your other draft takes? At least I’m here owning my shit. Easy to talk shit from a crowd, and when the focus isn’t on you.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wanted Leonard, primarily. Would that have been a mistake? Maybe, but it’s too early to say. The rationale was/is that the Habs have a ton of small scoring wingers in the system already. Leonard is a strong, fast two-way winger with elite offensive skill who plays a hard-nosed game and thrives in the dirty areas, down low and along the boards, and crashes the net. All shit that Michkov does not, and will likely never bring to the table.

You dont think Michkov thrives in the dirty areas, down low and along the boards or goes to the net?

I mean... come on. They are a lot of the places he won in the KHL and is already doing a great job at in the NHL... guy is a fire hydrant. Most of his KHL goals were scored from around the paint and in the slot.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Lmao that’s great coming from you 😂. I’ve got nothing to cope for. My team didn’t take Michkov, and I didn’t want them to take him before the draft. Can’t speak for all Habs fans, but that’s the reality for me. The fanboys really took offense to that for some reason. Whether that’s right or wrong remains to be seen, but he’s looking like pretty much exactly what I expected, and why I didn’t want him, i.e., a good offensive winger with some serious flaws and deficiencies in his game. Keep revelling in those powerplay points though.
Garbagetake should be your new handle.

Reactions: BillDineen

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Way to completely ignore a sincere post just to get your pathetic little jab in. I guess every GM who passed on Michkov should be fired too…after 9 games. Should we dig up some of your other draft takes? At least I’m here owning my shit. Easy to talk shit from a crowd, and when the focus isn’t on you.
Apologies....yes u are right. That was a low blow. My mistake.

But Benson? Dvorsky? Over michkov....how?

Are you thinking that the average speed wont allow his game to translate ?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You dont think Michkov thrives in the dirty areas, down low and along the boards or goes to the net?

I mean... come on. They are a lot of the places he won in the KHL and is already doing a great job at in the NHL... guy is a fire hydrant. Most of his KHL goals were scored from around the paint and in the slot.
Not to the degree that Leonard does, no. Like I said, MTL already has players that play the same style as Michkov in the system, and none like Leonard. That was the point.

Garbagetake should be your new handle.
Should probably delete this post; it’s against site rules.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Lol, we’re 9 games in; we’ll see. It may well have been a mistake (passing on Michkov). Obviously I’ve been wrong before, not a big deal. But my point is that my opinions and views on him have nothing to do with the Habs passing on him, like the fanboys in here keep trying to suggest. Like I said, I do think the Reinbacher pick was a mistake, and have since it was made.
If you will repeat your sentences about fanboys, it will not make them right.

Its you who are haterboy. Because Michkov had track record all over he played, he proved it on every level before and he is continuing to prove it now on NHL level right from the start with quite meh level partners. And its sad but truth because this is what is going on on the ice and its not that hard to find your comments about him.

But its okay to stand and say "I was wrong". And forget about it. But you are dying on this hill. "Fanboys" like this talent and this fanboys are from different countries, root for him as fans of different team. You are the mtl canadien fan who is continuing to hate the guy no matter how productive he is, no matter how creative on the ice he is. He isnt Jack Hughes of the first season, he isnt Slafkovsky of the first season and of the beggining of the second season, he isnt Laf of the beggining, Kakko of his career or who can we find in the close past. He is best or second best player of his team on the ice and he is creating enough on the ice to have his production, he isnt 40% S% miracle or lucky bounce producer. He is creative hockey player who is combining creativity with grinding the puck. He is the best or near the best flyer in CF SF GF etc. And he isnt worser than Bedard, Jack Hughes in his first two years or any other top prospect from the near past as defensive player.

So please, enough of "fanboyism". People were happy about his game, because his game and production were great every year he played. Now he is playing in NHL and... he is productive and his game is really different. Yeah, he has some flaws. I remember Crosby in his first season, Ovechkin, McDavid - all of them were not Peters Forsbergs in his best when they started in NHL. But it was really something to watch them. It is really something to watch him now. And thats why people are here. Not because they have agenda(because they dont, mostly they are in antonymic situation to have agenda), they liked him and continuing to like and have absolutely all the proves to like him.

On the opposite side you have agenda(very bad decision of your team on the draft and very very bad decision to promote this draft decision through media), you was very wrong before and you are trying to push this narrative about his blackness when everybody already have the color picker. Color picker is showing ffffff.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Not to the degree that Leonard does, no. Like I said, MTL already has players that play the same style as Michkov in the system, and none like Leonard. That was the point.

I can admit in 24 draft, I was pissed that Briere failed to acquire the 4th pick to snag Demidov. Im on record saying that Demidov will be the better offensive player over Celebrini before Demidov's crazy KHL week.

Maybe you can admit that you were also pissed Hughes passed on Michkov. I know you won't admit. But let go of the anger mon gars....

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Apologies....yes u are right. That was a low blow. My mistake.

But Benson? Dvorsky? Over michkov....how?

Are you thinking that the average speed wont allow his game to translate ?
Those two were considered secondarily, I never really put them head to head with Michkov, necessarily. I saw the most likely possibilities as Michkov, Leonard, and Reinbacher. Wanted Leonard first and foremost, like I said. Did not want Michkov, and absolutely did not want Reinbacher. Unfortunately, they chose Reinbacher, and I’ve said that was a mistake since day 1. Would I have preferred Michkov over Reinbacher? Yes. Happy? But, I would’ve picked Leonard over him. We’ll see if that would’ve been a mistake, like I said.

Your takes are against common sense rules.
Go ahead and talk your shit, smart guy. Until you bring up your own draft takes to analyze publicly in front of everyone, you’re just a little angry chihuahua chirping.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

For that same reason I assume you wanted Iginla over Demidov?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If you will repeat your sentences about fanboys, it will not make them right.

Its you who are haterboy. Because Michkov had track record all over he played, he proved it on every level before and he is continuing to prove it now on NHL level right from the start with quite meh level partners. And its sad but truth because this is what is going on on the ice and its not that hard to find your comments about him.

But its okay to stand and say "I was wrong". And forget about it. But you are dying on this hill. "Fanboys" like this talent and this fanboys are from different countries, root for him as fans of different team. You are the mtl canadien fan who is continuing to hate the guy no matter how productive he is, no matter how creative on the ice he is. He isnt Jack Hughes of the first season, he isnt Slafkovsky of the first season and of the beggining of the second season, he isnt Laf of the beggining, Kakko of his career or who can we find in the close past. He is best or second best player of his team on the ice and he is creating enough on the ice to have his production, he isnt 40% S% miracle or lucky bounce producer. He is creative hockey player who is combining creativity with grinding the puck. He is the best or near the best flyer in CF SF GF etc. And he isnt worser than Bedard, Jack Hughes in his first two years or any other top prospect from the near past as defensive player.

So please, enough of "fanboyism". People were happy about his game, because his game and production were great every year he played. Now he is playing in NHL and... he is productive and his game is really different. Yeah, he has some flaws. I remember Crosby in his first season, Ovechkin, McDavid - all of them were not Peters Forsbergs in his best when they started in NHL. But it was really something to watch them. It is really something to watch him now. And thats why people are here. Not because they have agenda(because they dont, mostly they are in antonymic situation to have agenda), they liked him and continuing to like and have absolutely all the proves to like him.

On the opposite side you have agenda(very bad decision of your team on the draft and very very bad decision to promote this draft decision through media), you was very wrong before and you are trying to push this narrative about his blackness when everybody already have the color picker. Color picker is showing ffffff.
Not reading that wall of broken English. Anything less than being full on in the Michkov-generational-circlejerk on here and you’re labeled a hater. Ridiculous.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Most kids didn't play against men since they were 16-17, lets see.
True, I am not doubting him. I believe he is capable which is why I said "if he does". My point was that 82 games against men is a long physical grind and we can not know for sure it will have no negative impact on him yet. I just think setting expectations to moon is tough and could lead to disappointment in what could be one of the best rookie seasons from a D+2 player in years. Like if he does hit a wall and only finishes the season with 60-75 points this season that should not disappoint anyone. Scoring that many points while being the clear best player on his NHL team is an elite rookie campaign from 19-20 year old. Just to reiterate, I think he is capable of exceeding that mark, but I am not sure it is fair to be disappointed in an NHL all star caliber performance because he didn't finish top 5 in the league in points in year 1.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
True, I am not doubting him. I believe he is capable which is why I said "if he does". My point was that 82 games against men is a long physical grind and we can not know for sure it will have no negative impact on him yet. I just think setting expectations to moon is tough and could lead to disappointment in what could be one of the best rookie seasons from a D+2 player in years. Like if he does hit a wall and only finishes the season with 60-75 points this season that should not disappoint anyone. Scoring that many points while being the clear best player on his NHL team is an elite rookie campaign from 19-20 year old. Just to reiterate, I think he is capable of exceeding that mark, but I am not sure it is fair to be disappointed in an NHL all star caliber performance because he didn't finish top 5 in the league in points in year 1.
True, I think most of us expected 55-60 ish, if he eclipses that it’s a great year, but idk he seems to do what he’s doing with ease. Lol who knows where he’ll end up 🤣

Reactions: MrGuyPerson

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
For that same reason I assume you wanted Iginla over Demidov?
1. Iginla and Leonard really aren’t that similar, and I think Leonard is the better prospect.

2. I didn’t even think Demidov would be available at 5. Thought for sure CHI was taking him.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
1. Iginla and Leonard really aren’t that similar, and I think Leonard is the better prospect.

2. I didn’t even think Demidov would be available at 5. Thought for sure CHI was taking him.

Iginla is a hard nosed player who thrives in dirty areas, much more than Demidov. It's just what the Habs need.

This was your rationale for wanting Leonard over Michkov.
For that same reason you should've wanted Iginla over Demidov when the #5 pick presented itself, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad