GDT: UFC 308: Topuria vs. Holloway

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He has that prime McGregor quality where he's got supreme confidence and can back it up. Except, he's also potentially better and definitely more well rounded than Conor ever was.
He really does, the self-belief is for real. Some guys hype themselves up or "manufacture" confidence but you can tell that Topuria is all-in. I'd argue it's even more authentic than Conor's.

I'm not a huge fan of it but the guy walks the walk and has the decency to show respect to the legends after a career-defining KO, I have to tip my cap.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Don’t like Khamzat but his grappling is just like Khabib but at full throttle. I’ve never seen someone grapple at that pace before and be so good.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Tough night (day) for 2 of my favorites.

Fight was going kind of how I thought it would. Really competitive. Topuria more power and Max more active. Then...Topuria found that shot. I think that first big shot he landed was the most we've seen Max hurt in a fight. He's been rocked by Poirier for example, but he retreated and recovered enough to defend. I don't think he was really there between that first shot and the one that dropped him. Seemed to me like he was just kinda grabbing at him without any real intent and it left him exposed. We all knew it was going to happen eventually and it did. Really impressive from Topuria, though. Can't imagine Volk beating him and looking down the line...I don't see much challenge at 145.

Holy smokes. Bobby Knuckles got absolutely worked. The takedown was too easy. He defended for a while, but it was one way traffic. Rather quick tap, too. Bobby is well rounded, but he's definitely not the best grappler. I think that's why Burns and Usman had more success. Burns especially could threaten from the ground and Usman's better defending the takedowns. Not at all surprised Chimaev won, but I never thought he'd make it look that easy.

Ankalaev deserves the shot. Just give it to him. I'm not sure he's dynamic enough to beat Pereira, but he deserves the shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad