RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I don’t know if this is a good timing prising Bedards abilities after the game he had yesterday against the Sabres. It’s not like he is setting the league on fire. And imo Bedard has the better linemates to play with. At least no Tippett…

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Yeah the 19 year old rookie who's clearly been the best player on his team, lmao. The whole teams been awful, he's literally the only bright spot, but I know you typed this because you don't watch the games. Check more box scores and post absolute nonsense, I'm sure your post history is comical.
The best players produce at even strength and on special teams. He isn't there yet and needs time. Stats don't lie.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The best players produce at even strength and on special teams. He isn't there yet and needs time. Stats don't lie.
OR, and maybe this is hard for you to understand, we are talking about literally 5 games, barely over a full games worth of actual minutes on the ice and at even strength. His xGF/60 at even strength is fifth on the team (fourth amongst forwards). The stats don’t lie, as you say, but not in the direction you seem to believe.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don’t know if this is a good timing prising Bedards abilities after the game he had yesterday against the Sabres. It’s not like he is setting the league on fire. And imo Bedard has the better linemates to play with. At least no Tippett…
Probably not the best time to praise Michkovs abilities either, especially the " transcendent player talk"

Let's face facts folks........neither of these guys is going to be the next Gretzky. They are 2 of the best young players in the world , nothing more nothing less.

But if we are looking at both of them as something that is going to be above other elite stars currently on display like Mcdavid, Matthews, Etc then we are going to be disappointed.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Probably not the best time to praise Michkovs abilities either, especially the " transcendent player talk"

Let's face facts folks........neither of these guys is going to be the next Gretzky. They are 2 of the best young players in the world , nothing more nothing less.

But if we are looking at both of them as something that is going to be above other elite stars currently on display like Mcdavid, Matthews, Etc then we are going to be disappointed.

Who, seriously WHO has said Michkov or Bedard were going to be the next Gretzky, there will never be another Gretzky, or Mario tbh. There may never even be another McDavid.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Who, seriously WHO has said Michkov or Bedard were going to be the next Gretzky, there will never be another Gretzky, or Mario tbh. There may never even be another McDavid.
People haven’t compared him to Gretzky except to say he has that kind of hockey sense. Obviously he’s not close to The Great One’s level. But there haven’t been a lot of guys recently who play like Michkov so it’s hard to compare him

The problem is people here are dumb and say “but he’s a small, slow wing. how can he be good?” And that’s when the Messi & Gretzky comps are useful bc everyone knows those two and what makes them special.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Some people were saying they were going to be A cut above, in other words.......waynes level, because if you can be a cut above players like Mcdavid,matthews, kucerov that is basically what you would be, an all timer elite level top 3-4 player of all time l player. you can see it even in this thread with one guy making a claim michkov was already one of the best players in the world after the 2 goalo game....his 3rd game in the league for gods sake, Another called him " a transcendent talent" I mean, transcendent is a pretty heavy word, a player like Gretzky was transcendent, a player like Orr was transcendent, only a precious few in any sport you name truly are.

I mean, both the haters and the fanboys really need to calm down, there has been some downright awful posts in this thread. Too much of it negative or positive have been off the wall.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is your own narrative. I wouldn’t have picked Michkov or Reinbacher at the draft, and I still wouldn’t pick either with hindsight (especially Reinbacher, fwiw). And yes, I prefer Demidov and would still prefer him to Michkov even if the Habs took someone else. Demidov is bigger, faster, stronger, better attitude, and two-way game, and plays more in the dirty areas. Michkov on the other hand, is a small scoring winger who lacks speed. His upside is a smaller, slower, more PP reliant version of Vladimir Tarasenko.
It's funny that Tarasenko has had at the same time a bit of a disappointing career and still a very good one.

The thing is that he played 10 and 24 games in his age 28 & 29 season so that's probably part of that.

For the record I fully except Michkov to have a better statistical resume when it's all said and done.

Imo elite hockey iq presents in how quickly a players reads the play. Watching MM it’s obvious (to people who understand the game) that he has uniquely high hockey iq. Follow him and not the puck. The puck comes to him because he’s reading where it will be faster than all the other players. He sees the game two or three steps ahead of the other players. MM has exceptional hockey iq.
Sure I see that at times on offense but one would think that "elite " hockey IQ would have some defensive recognition as well right?

Or maybe he is like a lot of forwards, somewhat lazy in that department?

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Flyers literally have one centermen that can play offensively... 1... Couts is done and Jet shouldn't even be in the league right now....Thats the Flyers problem scoring 5 v 5... Plus Tippett and Konecny have been snake bitten.... that will end soon.... then Michkov will miraculously get some 5 v 5 points lol

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
OR, and maybe this is hard for you to understand, we are talking about literally 5 games, barely over a full games worth of actual minutes on the ice and at even strength. His xGF/60 at even strength is fifth on the team (fourth amongst forwards). The stats don’t lie, as you say, but not in the direction you seem to believe.
Players that need space produce better on the PP than even strength. Its not hard to understand he's a typical 1st year player learning the ropes.

The411

May 30, 2024
yes, the lower percentage could explain teams not taking a risk on later picks. Still 4 first round picks from Russia in 2023, as many as any recent year. Interestingly enough, Montreal, a team who passed on Michkov because of supposed Russian factor picked Russian players in round 4 and 5

Chicago picked a Russian in round 2
Arizona picked 2 Russians in Round 1
San Jose picked a Russian in Round 7

Only two teams that passed on Michkov (Anaheim and Columbus) didn't pick a Russian in the 2023 draft.

So, Im not sure I buy the Russian factor.
The 7th rounder the Sharks picked, Rimashevsky has been doing quite well in the KHL at 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad