RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tough game for Michkov 5v5, but really good on PP as always, just picked up an assist to keep his production point per game
Bedard was a minus 45 in his rookie year. And not a ppg. MM is better, so far.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Pretty meh game for him tonight.

His board play and play in tight spaces was below his typical standard. Also had a handful of pucks bounce over his stick or he mishandled.

Both he and the Philly crowd is gonna be fired up Saturday night for the home opener. Bummed I’m not able to make it.
I think he started the game well, moved the puck really well on the 2 PPs they had, then Seattle really limited his ice and he also got dumped in a corner so he might have been hurting a bit.

Fedotov blew the game badly and the Flyers were shell shocked until the end of the third

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
you're making this sound like everything was normal and a-ok. Do you know how expensive it became to fly out of Russia to even place like Georgia, with all due respect, around this time?
You mean so expensive that a pro hockey player wouldn't be able to afford a flight to the States or it would be too expensive for an NHL club to send their scouts to Russia? :huh:

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Bedard was a minus 45 in his rookie year. And not a ppg. MM is better, so far.
I'm sorry but this sounds too fanboyish and completely not an objective view. You can't judge based on 4 games first of all, and two, Bedard was an 18 yr old compared to Michkov who is 19 now.

As of today Bedard looks like the more dominant player, but that can all change if Michkov improves his top speed skating, because MM has the better hockey mind between the two players, and that advantage could only be fully unlocked and utilized if his skating speed supports it.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
I think he started the game well, moved the puck really well on the 2 PPs they had, then Seattle really limited his ice and he also got dumped in a corner so he might have been hurting a bit.

Fedotov blew the game badly and the Flyers were shell shocked until the end of the third
Agreed. Especially on the Fedotov part. Another game or two like he had tonight and he’ll be sent down to the A and Kolosov will be called up.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
fedotov is bad but the flyers have a lot of players that are no better. tippett can't pass for the life of him and couturier is all washed-up. why the one is locked up for five years and another for a whoopind seven is beyond me.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I learned my lesson from Lindros. There were 10,000 rumors for two years and it took 20+ years for the truth to come out. My stance has always been that Michkov was worth every risk and should have gone No. 2 overall, which is how it was trending until the Ukraine war ramped up anti-Russian sentiment. The media created a circus just like they did in 1991-92.
Somehow, it's apparently escaped your attention that 1 of the guys taken ahead of him was Russian. 1 of the 2 (or maybe 3) that he definitely should've went ahead of.
Your take makes it sound like he went in the 7th round not #7 OA.
6 teams passed on him. He was never going ahead of Bedard. Fantilli and Carlsson were going to play immediately (and are pretty damn good anyway). That leaves 3. And 1 of them took a different Russian. Yeah some real strong anti-Russian bias going on for sure.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Another game or two like he had tonight and he’ll be sent down to the A and Kolosov will be called up.
Not sure why would they wait. He has a career save percentage of .815. Even if it's just 5 games, that is utterly unplayable. Any reasonable waiver wire pickup would be better.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
fedotov is bad but the flyers have a lot of players that are no better. tippett can't pass for the life of him and couturier is all washed-up. why the one is locked up for five years and another for a whoopind seven is beyond me.

It's not just Tippett, they don't have a single defenseman who can make a good stretch pass. It's exactly as it was in Sochi, where forwards had to create all 5vs5 offense so most chances were created by forechecking and steals. It's pretty tricky to create 5vs5 offense if your defensemen can't move the puck.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's not just Tippett, they don't have a single defenseman who can make a good stretch pass. It's exactly as it was in Sochi, where forwards had to create all 5vs5 offense so most chances were created by forechecking and steals. It's pretty tricky to create 5vs5 offense if your defensemen can't move the puck.
I understand everyone under the sun is to blame Michkov is only scoring at a measly PPG pace but can we at least somewhat stick to reality instead of barking at literally anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad