RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How did the work out for them? Do you remember “Oil Change” on NHL Network back then? Embarrassing.
Should have picked Larsson or Murray in 11 or 12 right

Oh I’m aware. You laugh react any post you disagree with as a passive aggressive, petty little jab, which 99% of the time means it was a logical and reasonable take.
It really is a shitty thing to do
If you think my post is laughable call it out and let’s discuss

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy and Xirik

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Actually Tampa Bay won with Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh (3x #1 D) and Cernak. They also won after acquiring the necessary depth at F in Coleman and Goodrow. You know, they also had Gourde, Point, Cirelli, Stamkos, Palat, Johnsson, Verharghe, Killorn, and Marroon to round up their Forwards with Kucherov and the best goalie in the league.

Carlson is 34 about to turn 35. He's past his prime. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

Pietrangelo was a 44-55 points player for most of his career. If you think St-Louis would have traded him for a 80-100 points 5'09 forward you're out to lunch.

Yes, I think if both Reinbacher hit their ceiling he will be way more valuable than Demidov. He will also be a much more important piece to a contending Montreal team. No doubt about that. And yes again, if all 3 players hit their ceiling, I do believe Reinbacher will be the more impactful player of all 3, especially the way Montreal line-up is being built. Habs have high-end talent on the wing but aside from Reinbacher, they don't have anyone with the potential to fill that role Reinbacher is supposed to fill in a couple of years. It's also probably the reasoning behind Chicago picking Leshunov over Demidov. Although their fans wanted the talented forwards, they went with the.. wait for it... potential top pairing RHD.

Positions seem clear enough. I bet some Habs fans would prefer Demidov over Reinbacher. It's their choice. A lot of fans like high producing and flashy players. It's entertaining. I prefer to see my team compete with little to no holes and win championships. To each their own.
So now you forgot about they were LD. Yeah thats literally eat I said.

Yeah, I understand, prime Carlsson was very consistent, productive, good defensively for as long enough to prefer him over Kaprizov. Your opinion

St Louis? They would traded him.

So mtl should drafted Nemec or Jiricek and not Slafkovsky? =-D And all this teams should draft RD as high as they can automatically, because "RD are more rare" than centers. Goons are very rare, time to trade Demidov for Reaves.

Yeah, winning is fun. Like Tampa did. Without any high profile RD. So drafting RD because he is right(even if not high profile) isn't as important now? Or still is?

Okay you can believe in your picture of hockey. Reinbacher will be more impactfull and more important player than Michkov and Demidov. Because RD of 45-55 points are more impactful than 80-100 points wingers who drive the play. So its your vision, I can't argue with it.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I love how he stated that TB won multiple Cups and omitted Hedman from their list of d-men. Precious. And no, I’m not comparing Reinbacher to Herman.
Try to think for the beggining. May be you will understand that having RIGHT defenseman isn't as important. Having high profile defenseman is important - no matter lefty he is or righty.
And like you said - Reinbacher isn't Hedman. And most likely he will not be on his level. Michkov on the level of Stamkos or Kucherov? Much more real.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Try to think for the beggining. May be you will understand that having RIGHT defenseman isn't as important. Having high profile defenseman is important - no matter lefty he is or righty.
And like you said - Reinbacher isn't Hedman. And most likely he will not be on his level. Michkov on the level of Stamkos or Kucherov? Much more real.
Do everyone a favour
Stop speaking in absolutes
Michkov hasn’t played an nhl game and neither has rein
I’m willing to bet in a redraft, one year later michkov still goes outside of the top 5

Reactions: viceroy

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
2 hints I saw on why they passed on the player not the contract

Defensive play and compete level

Both from the horses mouth

It’s in his best interests to believe that the habs are run by buffoons that would pass on a sure fire superstar because he wasn’t available for 3 years

Laughable
Apparently this means nothing because it came from a MTL source. Fake news

Lol I do agree tho it's very laughable

Reactions: viceroy

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Apparently this means nothing because it came from a MTL source. Fake news

Lol I do agree tho it's very laughable
Of course Montreal media is going to spin this as positively as possible so it has to be taken with a grain of salt

But the Russian factor/contract concerns do not pass the smell test for me

They passed on the player. Not the country or the contract

Michkov will probably make fools of them for that. But let’s be honest about the why

Reactions: viceroy and Fatass

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
Of course Montreal media is going to spin this as positively as possible so it has to be taken with a grain of salt

But the Russian factor/contract concerns do not pass the smell test for me

They passed on the player. Not the country or the contract

Michkov will probably make fools of them for that. But let’s be honest about the why
Players with attitude issues don't often pay off for the team that drafted him. Someone else might benefit years down the road when the player learns enough to stick with a team, but even for the ones that work out, there's a good possibility he was involved in some dimes-on-the-dollar trades along the way.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Its funny to see how the discussion shifted from michkov vs bedard to michkov vs demidov

what i want to know is if michkov is still considered a generational talent

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Do everyone a favour
I’m willing to bet in a redraft, one year later michkov still goes outside of the top 5
No one played. 7th rounders too. We are talking about pick and decision on the draft day.
Still goes outside top 5? So yeah after another great season in KHL and termination of his deal?

Yeah, hard copium.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Eh, I wouldn't put any stock on anything that happens at a rookie/prospect tournaments and preseason games.

You can say his NA career starts from this rookie game, and then pre-season games in a few days, and then the season in a months so it's very soon.

Last edited:

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
From Demidov:

“Moreover, he can play in the center, and we have had such an experience. The main thing is that he needs good partners, and in Philadelphia there will be no problems with that.”

Would be a big boon for the Flyers even if they see him as a wing now.

They have 1000 RWs.

Reactions: Xirik and Redpath

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Do everyone a favour
Are you assuming that GMs would know, one year later, that he was coming to North America one year after the draft?

I think you should throw this up as a poll.

Yes, the HFBoard “idiots” will vote but there are droves of MTL fans that would vote as well.

He’d go top 5 if any club knew he was for sure coming over one year after the draft. No question.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Are you assuming that GMs would know, one year later, that he was coming to North America one year after the draft?

Yes, the HFBoard “idiots” will vote but there are droves of MTL fans that would vote as well.

He’d go top 5 if any club knew he was for sure coming over one year after the draft. No question.
I know he would go top 5 in a hf poll
He was a top 5 pick in hf polls before the draft. He didn’t go top 5

Hf posters don’t have a clue about Michkov outside of YouTube videos and statlines

The khl contract may have been a concern for some teams but you’re fooling yourself if you think teams were so scared of it that they passed on what they felt was a much superior player because of it

If Columbus, Anaheim, San Jose, Montreal and Arizona really felt that the next Nikita kucherov was available with their pick they would have done absolutely every thing they could to grab him and worry about the contract after

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I know he would go top 5 in a hf poll
He was a top 5 pick in hf polls before the draft. He didn’t go top 5

Hf posters don’t have a clue about Michkov outside of YouTube videos and statlines

The khl contract may have been a concern for some teams but you’re fooling yourself if you think teams were so scared of it that they passed on what they felt was a much superior player because of it

If Columbus, Anaheim, San Jose, Montreal and Arizona really felt that the next Nikita kucherov was available with their pick they would have done absolutely every thing they could to grab him and worry about the contract after
I guess I just disagree and would be interested to see how lopsided it'd be in a poll.

If you removed the "russian factor" of the geopolitical climate when he was selected (being one year removed would probably lessen this impact), his contract commitment, and him actively telling some clubs that he didn't want to play for them, I don't believe there is a way in which he wouldn't go Top 5.

It is also reflected in the fact that Michkov is favorited for the Calder everywhere over Will Smith, who was selected 4th. And this isn't by HF pundits but hockey writers and professionals across the spectrum.

Reactions: Xirik and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

If it was a for sure Michkov is coming to play here in his D+1 season then for certain he goes 2OA.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I guess I just disagree and would be interested to see how lopsided it'd be in a poll.

If you removed the "russian factor" of the geopolitical climate when he was selected (being one year removed would probably lessen this impact), his contract commitment, and him actively telling some clubs that he didn't want to play for them, I don't believe there is a way in which he wouldn't go Top 5.

It is also reflected in the fact that Michkov is favorited for the Calder everywhere over Will Smith, who was selected 4th. And this isn't by HF pundits but hockey writers and professionals across the spectrum.
I don't know much about the player and I haven't speculated on any reasons why \ teams have passed on him.

To me, the russian factor and contract concerns never passed the smell test is all.

If it turns out those were the only reason my team passed on him it should be a fire able offence.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't know much about the player and I haven't speculated on any reasons why \ teams have passed on him.

To me, the russian factor and contract concerns never passed the smell test is all.

If it turns out those were the only reason my team passed on him it should be a fire able offence.
I totally agree with you there was obviously some other things they didn't like about his profile (which were stated multiple times by our organisation) If it was just the contract they would have taken him. I don't understand why you are getting push back on this take anyways only time will tell if they made a mistake. If the kid is a 100 point player does it even matter why we passed on him? We will probably have egg on our faces regardless if he does ends up a franchise player. He also denied interviews all year and they didn't get to know him very well. Since 2019 we have changed our draft strategy and character is a huge thing they are looking for

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
From Demidov:

“Moreover, he can play in the center, and we have had such an experience. The main thing is that he needs good partners, and in Philadelphia there will be no problems with that.”

Would be a big boon for the Flyers even if they see him as a wing now.

They have 1000 RWs.

I'm going to keep hammering this idea. Michkov experimented a little bit with center last year in the KHL preseason. The Flyers have an obvious need for a center. Even their best player in the last generation was a wing-to-center convert.

It won't be an immediate experiment, but the Flyers need to give this a shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Danila Yurov with the best scouting report. My view of him went up after seeing this description. He understands what he’s watching.

"It's great that Matvey managed to break out of the KHL and go to Philadelphia. I think he has every chance to prove himself. He has a scoring instinct that I have never seen before. He knows when to pass. He feels when to shoot and where the puck will go. You are born with such qualities, you can't acquire them. In the highlights, you can see how he arrives at the far post, and the puck seems to bounce to him on its own. But I think it's not luck, but rather a scoring instinct."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad