RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So one of the single greatest hockey players of all time? If he's that than even Chicago f***ed up by not taking him over Bedard.
No, mtl f4cked up. And "would not drafting two wingers" is copium. Its better to draft two wingers with "Kaprizov/Kucherov" ceiling then pick second pair defenseman.
When there is obvious way much Better Player Available on the table - gms with brains are picking BPA. Hughes didn't repeat his Huge mistakes second year in a row.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
No, mtl f4cked up. And "would not drafting two wingers" is copium. Its better to draft two wingers with "Kaprizov/Kucherov" ceiling then pick second pair defenseman.
When there is obvious way much Better Player Available on the table - gms with brains are picking BPA. Hughes didn't repeat his Huge mistakes second year in a row.
Why are you assuming that Reinbacher will max. out as a second pair d-man? Of course, the Canadiens were lucky that Demidov fell to them at 5, but when all is said and done, nobody will care if they drafted a first pair right D and first line wing via good fortune or good process. It’s the end result that will matter, not how it came about.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Better career then Matthews and Kucherov ?

High praise doesn't cover it. I agree, if that happens then Chicago messed up let alone Montreal.

Yeah, right now it's stupid to talk about "better career than Kucherov's", but the kid has the potential. He's been better than Kucherov at his age so far.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, right now it's stupid to talk about "better career than Kucherov's", but the kid has the potential. He's been better than Kucherov at his age so far.
He will be a star for sure and surely he has been better then Kucherov was at this stage but that doesn't always mean better in the long run we will see.

I'm confident in his abilities from what I have seen of him but I wonder just how far his great skills and I.Q for the game take him without elite skating speed and size.........................the same questions I still have with Bedard.

Can you have a better career then guys like Matthews and Kuch without it? sure it's possible, but I am not sure how much money I would be willing to put down on it if I am being honest.

That's a very high bar.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He will be a star for sure and surely he has been better then Kucherov was at this stage but that doesn't always mean better in the long run we will see.

I'm confident in his abilities from what I have seen of him but I wonder just how far his great skills and I.Q for the game take him without elite skating speed and size.........................the same questions I still have with Bedard.

Can you have a better career then guys like Matthews and Kuch without it? sure it's possible, but I am not sure how much money I would be willing to put down on it if I am being honest.

That's a very high bar.

I don't think Kucherov is faster than Michkov, especially at this stage of his career. And as to size, Kucherov is taller (not that much though) but Michkov is bulkier.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think Kucherov is faster than Michkov, especially at this stage of his career. And as to size, Kucherov is taller but Michkov is bulkier.
He's probably not but to surpass Kucherov as a player I would like to see him be even faster and have more dynamic skating. I guess what I am trying to say is that guys like Kucherov don't grow on trees and he has his work cut out for him to become a better player then guys like him and Matthews who truth be told are in in a tier only slightly below Mcdavid and in some aspects of the game they are better then him IMO.

Tall order indeed...........................let's see what happens.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Which doesn’t mean too much as male athletes tend to not develop in a linear manner.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The thing that people doesn’t seems to grasp is that they don’t have to be compared, they’re not even from the same draft. It’s logical because they’re both skilled players from russia but other than that, it doesn’t make much sense.

As surprising as it could seem to some people they both can become great. There’s place for many good young players in the league lol.
Agree
I expect he will have a better career than both Matthews and Kucherov. I don't know if Chicago messed up. Bedard probably is going to be somewhere in that discussion also, and he plays center. He also was available to play immediately and Chicago wasn't going to have to wait like 3 years for the 1OA to come over.

But I think every team other than Chicago messed up big time.
I absolutely love Michkov and I know he’s one of the best prospects I’ve seen in the last 20 years but to expect better than Matthew’s and Kucherov is crazy. I truly think it’s entirely possible but it’s short sited let the man play nhl hockey first lol, and I’m a big Michkov fan boy. What you’re saying man is a tall, tall, tall order multiple Ross’s plus mutiple Harts, we’re tracking all time great territory, who knows but too bold a claim at this point.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Omg, so it appears the 'Habs knew things other teams didn't', or 'bad attitude' was not the reason the Habs skipped Michkov, instead it was...

HIS HEIGHT?

Really hope this isn't the case, I'd rather they have drafted him and traded Caufield if it was that important to them.

See this article (French), the video inside where Grant McCagg interviews Bobrov is in English:

Repêchage 2023 : La taille de Michkov a eu un impact sur la décision du CH au 5e rang

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I expect he will have a better career than both Matthews and Kucherov. I don't know if Chicago messed up. Bedard probably is going to be somewhere in that discussion also, and he plays center. He also was available to play immediately and Chicago wasn't going to have to wait like 3 years for the 1OA to come over.

But I think every team other than Chicago messed up big time.
Michkov is going to be better than a multiple Art Ross and cup winner Kucherov?

Not so sure about that…

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Omg, so it appears the 'Habs knew things other teams didn't', or 'bad attitude' was not the reason the Habs skipped Michkov, instead it was...

HIS HEIGHT?

Really hope this isn't the case, I'd rather they have drafted him and traded Caufield if it was that important to them.

See this article (French), the video inside where Grant McCagg interviews Bobrov is in English:

Repêchage 2023 : La taille de Michkov a eu un impact sur la décision du CH au 5e rang

Wouldn't surprise me if true.

Bobrov is an abject moron.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Why are you assuming that Reinbacher will max. out as a second pair d-man? Of course, the Canadiens were lucky that Demidov fell to them at 5, but when all is said and done, nobody will care if they drafted a first pair right D and first line wing via good fortune or good process. It’s the end result that will matter, not how it came about.
When players like Michkov are available - people care. Everybody care. Reason why there are so many talks around it.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It was a baffling move then and now . Imagine pairing him w Demidov . Accumulate talent , figure out how they fit after .
And Slafkovsky. And Caufield. And Suzuki. And Hage/Dach/Newhook. It would be great top-6.No one would even think about lack of one defensive prospect. In parallel topic MTL fans are arguing for their defensive poll as one of the best. Even if it not the best- without Reinbacher it would be still quite good. With Demidov and Michkov it would be power. It is still very good but nowhere as great.

I would say the same if Mtl would draft Michkov and Yakemchuk/Jiricek or even Silayev/Buium/Dickinson.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It was a baffling move then and now . Imagine pairing him w Demidov . Accumulate talent , figure out how they fit after .

It's funny to me that the Habs' reasoning basically amounted to "We have Caufield, so we can't take Michkov" rather than "hey we could just trade Caufield's ass as soon as Michkov's ready."

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It's funny to me that the Habs' reasoning basically amounted to "We have Caufield, so we can't take Michkov" rather than "hey we could just trade Caufield's ass as soon as Michkov's ready."
And they are sticking to their story that the 3 year KHL deal wasn’t a factor / they planned on taking Demidov a year out ; despite having no clue where they’d be drafting . That’s literally the reasoning ; It’s ludicrous…

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
When a player has been developing the way that each his new season is better than previous it usually means something very positive.

Michkov has already beaten so many records that it's pretty reasonable to expect something great from him.
I do but saying he’ll be better than Kucherov in the NHL because he was better as a kid is a weak argument.
Dont believe anything published by Grant McCagg.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
And they are sticking to their story that the 3 year KHL deal wasn’t a factor / they planned on taking Demidov a year out ; despite having no clue where they’d be drafting . That’s literally the justification . It’s ludicrous…
They don’t have to provide any justification . . . to anyone. They ended up getting lucky but nobody, other than apparently you, will care. They were never going to draft two wings with consecutive 5OA picks, whether you agree with them or not. Looks like it will work out okay. Nobody cares how.

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Isn’t what they did in drafting Reinbacher? I think people also tend to forget how hard it is to acquire a quality RHD that can play as a #1-3 in this league

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Isn’t what they did in drafting Reinbacher? I think people also tend to forget how hard it is to acquire a quality RHD that can play as a #1-3 in this league
Seems to be a safe option to play in the NHL given projectabliy but he’s certainly less talented then Michkov . Being right handed is certainly a feather in his cap but that high in the draft I’d think they’d be swinging larger . It could work out of course . I’m just extreme high on Michkov ; I can’t fathom passing on a talent like that ( I realize several did : for varying reasons ) .

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
When players like Michkov are available - people care. Everybody care. Reason why there are so many talks around it
He went 7th for a reason. Either he is overrated or a cancer. And wanting to play for Philadelphia is a bad sign right there.

And they are sticking to their story that the 3 year KHL deal wasn’t a factor / they planned on taking Demidov a year out ; despite having no clue where they’d be drafting . That’s literally the justification . It’s ludicrous…
The 2024 draft had NOTHING to do with their choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 9
    Staked: $30,669.00