RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
HuGo have drafted Slaf, Hutson, Rienbacher, Fowler and Demidov so far. I don't think they're losing their jobs anytime soon. Also, MB wasn't fired solely because of one draft pick. That's just a stupid take, bro.
Flyers had the #1 pool for years that fizzled out into no impact players. I wouldn't count your chickens yet.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Flyers had the #1 pool for years that fizzled out into no impact players. I wouldn't count your chickens yet.
This ; nothing is ever for sure banking on a prospect heavy future .

We're not arguing with you that they shouldn't have had interest.

But in the end, it all worked out. They got Demidov and Reinbacher. I'd rather be lucky than good.
They were never going to use both 5OA picks on wings, no matter how good they are.
But how would they know a year out where they were picking ? They could’ve been drafting in the teens and miss both … bird in the hand . Like if they end up w Rein and Hage only , do you think that would be a satisfactory result ?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
The dick waving competition between Flyer and Hab fans is hilarious.

Not a single Hab fan would claim Demidov was better if they had Michkov, so not a single Flyer fan will claim it either. Hab fans clearly wanted Michkov.

Both teams have their guy. I don't get what all the insecurity here is about. No one can with certainty predict who will be better, so let's see what happens.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The dick waving competition between Flyer and Hab fans is hilarious.

Not a single Hab fan would claim Demidov was better if they had Michkov, so not a single Flyer fan will claim it either. Hab fans clearly wanted Michkov.

Both teams have their guy. I don't get what all the insecurity here is about. No one can with certainty predict who will be better, so let's see what happens.
Flyers fans aren't in Demidov threads talking crap about Demidov.

We know why Habs are in here. Little brother syndrome

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I honestly could care less about michkovs success
The “lolhabs” posters are a bit obnoxious

I haven’t changed my stance since the pick was made at 5

They must have seen something in the player or the person that they didn’t like, because objectively MM was a better pick at 2-6. Contract or no contract issue

Plenty of teams im envious of

Flyers at the moment aren’t one of them

Reactions: Faterson

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I honestly could care less about michkovs success
The “lolhabs” posters are a bit obnoxious

I haven’t changed my stance since the pick was made at 5

They must have seen something in the player or the person that they didn’t like, because objectively MM was a better pick at 2-6. Contract or no contract issue

Plenty of teams im envious of

Flyers at the moment aren’t one of them
If you could care less then you probably should.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Philly and Montreal have this era's Pavel Bure and Alexander Mogilny. Not that Michkov and Demidov are carbon copies of said players, but I believe they will have a comparable impact and will be looked at similarly by today's standards.

In Philly, Michkov will be very "Bure-like" in ways. He will be a lethal goal scorer. And, I think he will give the Flyers a marquee draw (and carry them) like Bure did for the Canucks in Vancouver.

Demidov will be more akin to Mogilny in terms of playmaking and being extremely skilled. And, the same way Mogilny didn't possess the mystique and cult following that Bure did, I think Demidov won't share the same universal fanfare as Michkov... even though he could very well end up a more complete player with a world-class highlight reel of his own.

For argument's sake, there were times that Malkin was considered "better" than Ovechkin. But there's no mistaking who was more popular and eye-catching. Michkov will be an elite goal-scoring dynamo which will add to his sizzle.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I think Philly and Montreal have this era's Pavel Bure and Alexander Mogilny. Not that Michkov and Demidov are carbon copies of said players, but I believe they will have a comparable impact and will be looked at similarly by today's standards.

In Philly, Michkov will be very "Bure-like" in ways. He will be a lethal goal scorer. And, I think he will give the Flyers a marquee draw (and carry them) like Bure did for the Canucks in Vancouver.

Demidov will be more akin to Mogilny in terms of playmaking and being extremely skilled. And, the same way Mogilny didn't possess the mystique and cult following that Bure did, I think Demidov won't share the same universal fanfare as Michkov... even though he could very well end up a more complete player with a world-class highlight reel of his own.

For argument's sake, there were times that Malkin was considered "better" than Ovechkin. But there's no mistaking who was more popular and eye-catching. Michkov will be an elite goal-scoring dynamo which will add to his sizzle.
Those might turn out to be good comparisons but if Demidov hits as hoped, the fanfare surrounding him will dwarf Michkov’s . . . simply because Montreal is 20 times the hockey market that Philly is . . . and I live in Philly. It’s just a fact. Montreal is a one sport-obsessed city, and hockey is very much a niche sport here in Philly. Most people here could care less about it.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Those might turn out to be good comparisons but if Demidov hits as hoped, the fanfare surrounding him will dwarf Michkov’s . . . simply because Montreal is 20 times the hockey market that Philly is . . . and I live in Philly. It’s just a fact. Montreal is a one sport-obsessed city, and hockey is very much a niche sport here in Philly. Most people here could care less about it.
I agree. And I live here in Philly too. That said, the Demidov hype will be off the charts in Montreal but the Habs brand doesn't carry the same cache universally as it did in the O6 era and into the mid-80s. The emergence of teams in the sunbelt, more exposure and accessibility due to the net, and the hard cap have suppressed the iconic stranglehold Canadian teams like the Canadiens and Leafs had on NHL fandom.

For example, in the mid-90s and beyond, Mats Sundin was an elite superstar (in a hockey-crazed metropolis like Toronto) and yet Eric Lindros was 10x the draw Mats was on his best day. Another example is Alex Kovalev of Habs fame. AK27 could arguably be one of the 5 most eye-popping, talented players in history... based on pure artistry and gifts... and he was adored in Montreal yet was zzzzzzzz when it came to his universal mystique among NHL fans as a whole.

Two things are working against Demidov when it comes to his popularity vs. Michkov, imho:

1. Michkov will be a better goal scorer. In his prime, he will contend for (or win) multiple Rockets imho... and he is the type of offensive zone assassin who will have fans picking their chins off the floor. His highlights will be legendary. Goal-scoring sells... and Michkov will be among the best on the planet doing it.

2. Demidov will share the spotlight with Slafkovsky, Caufield, and Hutson, specifically. Believe it or not, for as great as I believe Demidov will be, Lane Hutson might end up the straw that stirs the drink in Montreal. Demidov will gobble up his points in buckets... and emerge as a superstar... but he will generate far more apples than goals and a kid like Hutson might be the most exciting on the club... in terms of razzle-dazzle and theatrics.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I agree. And I live here in Philly too. That said, the Demidov hype will be off the charts in Montreal but the Habs brand doesn't carry the same cache universally as it did in the O6 era and into the mid-80s. The emergence of teams in the sunbelt, more exposure and accessibility due to the net, and the hard cap have suppressed the iconic stranglehold Canadian teams like the Canadiens and Leafs had on NHL fandom.

For example, in the mid-90s and beyond, Mats Sundin was an elite superstar (in a hockey-crazed metropolis like Toronto) and yet Eric Lindros was 10x the draw Mats was on his best day. Another example is Alex Kovalev of Habs fame. AK27 could arguably be one of the 5 most eye-popping, talented players in history... based on pure artistry and gifts... and he was adored in Montreal yet was zzzzzzzz when it came to his universal mystique among NHL fans as a whole.

Two things are working against Demidov when it comes to his popularity vs. Michkov, imho:

1. Michkov will be a better goal scorer. In his prime, he will contend for (or win) multiple Rockets imho... and he is the type of offensive zone assassin who will have fans picking their chins off the floor. His highlights will be legendary. Goal-scoring sells... and Michkov will be among the best on the planet doing it.

2. Demidov will share the spotlight with Slafkovsky, Caufield, and Hutson, specifically. Believe it or not, for as great as I believe Demidov will be, Lane Hutson might end up the straw that stirs the drink in Montreal. Demidov will gobble up his points in buckets... and emerge as a superstar... but he will generate far more apples than goals and a kid like Hutson might be the most exciting on the club... in terms of razzle-dazzle and theatrics.
I know Michkov’s reputation is as a goal scorer but I can easily see him cashing in more as a playmaker. He will conform to the type of talent around him.

His goal scoring isn’t flashy, either. He’s not dangling guys or going end to end. I think people will like the flash of demidov more, but Michkov produces more. He’s not going to be a speedy back checker, but will somehow almost always be on the attack.

A ton of kucherov in Michkov. They don’t flash with speed or skill but somehow end the game with 3 or 4 pts.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know Michkov’s reputation is as a goal scorer but I can easily see him cashing in more as a playmaker. He will conform to the type of talent around him.

His goal scoring isn’t flashy, either. He’s not dangling guys or going end to end. I think people will like the flash of demidov more, but Michkov produces more. He’s not going to be a speedy back checker, but will somehow almost always be on the attack.

A ton of kucherov in Michkov. They don’t flash with speed or skill but somehow end the game with 3 or 4 pts.
Matthews goal scoring and the rest is Kucherov.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Remains to be seen if Demidov can still do his fancy tricks vs elevated competition / men. Michkov is gonna be sick. Lethal

Matthews goal scoring and the rest is Kucherov.
Agree I see a lot of Kuch. Kuch / Kaprizov hybrid

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Literally.

They were all about the price is “wright” and habs didn’t select him and then they turned on him. They were all about michkov to Montreal last year and they drafted reinbacher LOL and this year they were all about Lindstrom. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they turn on him too in a few months from now after picking demidov.

They love to shit on other teams top prospects only to overrate the hell out of their own prospects

Somehow all of mallioux, Beck, Reinbacher, demidov, Hutson, Roy, hage, barron, xhekaj, Farrell, mesar, harris are going to be the next big thing

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
really? they must be an exception then. after the habs drafted demidov his thread turned into a get together place for fans of other teams to shit on demidov
Tbf Montreal fans have even come on the Flyers board to talk about how good Demidov is in our Michkov thread lol. It’s gotten a bit excessive, I know both fan bases have their bias ( of course ). I think what’s best now is to evaluate after Demidovs KHL year and Michkovs NHL year, not much more to talk about but when there’s no hockey and we’re bored we are all tearing at each other haha. I really do want both guys to succeed it’s good for the NHL.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Tbf Montreal fans have even come on the Flyers board to talk about how good Demidov is in our Michkov thread lol. It’s gotten a bit excessive, I know both fan bases have their bias ( of course ). I think what’s best now is to evaluate after Demidovs KHL year and Michkovs NHL year, not much more to talk about but when there’s no hockey and we’re bored we are all tearing at each other haha. I really do want both guys to succeed it’s good for the NHL.
The thing that people doesn’t seems to grasp is that they don’t have to be compared, they’re not even from the same draft. It’s logical because they’re both skilled players from russia but other than that, it doesn’t make much sense.

As surprising as it could seem to some people they both can become great. There’s place for many good young players in the league lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So one of the single greatest hockey players of all time? If he's that than even Chicago f***ed up by not taking him over Bedard.
I expect he will have a better career than both Matthews and Kucherov. I don't know if Chicago messed up. Bedard probably is going to be somewhere in that discussion also, and he plays center. He also was available to play immediately and Chicago wasn't going to have to wait like 3 years for the 1OA to come over.

But I think every team other than Chicago messed up big time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh man. I don't know if it's just that as a Flyers fan I'm so god damn deprived of watching real talent on my team and I don't even realize how good Michkov is going to be. But that seems like a 95th percentile outcome even for Michkov
It probably is, but I’m expecting him to hit close to his ceiling, if that makes sense. The way he’s tracking is very promising.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00