RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Anahome

Oct 5, 2019
I agree.

But the comment I replied to was in response to someone that said there wasn't enough scouting info here.
But the stats were in reponse to the opener of this thread. I'd like to see the stats as well as scouting information.

Reactions: Aerrol

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Page after page and there's very little scouting information here.

People are constantly dropping in to say how great Michkov is but no one seems to be watching him, not even our Russian friends. I want to see "Michkov did x y z good things in this game and x y z not so good things".
Maybe you should watch him then instead of expecting us to do all the work

Reactions: The Wizard

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Page after page and there's very little scouting information here.

People are constantly dropping in to say how great Michkov is but no one seems to be watching him, not even our Russian friends. I want to see "Michkov did x y z good things in this game and x y z not so good things".

Michkov's shift-by-shift vs Ak Bars (Radulov's team), he's #39. You can get all the scouting out of it...

Last edited:

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Michkov's shift-by-shift vs Ak Bars (Radulov's team), he's #39. You can get all the scouting out of it...

He is way too strong on his skates already for his age and size playing against men. He is only going to get so much stronger. If he drops in the draft the teams are gonna regret overthinking not picking him.

WJC would have been a great stage too bad Russia couldn't play.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is way too strong on his skates already for his age and size playing against men. He is only going to get so much stronger. If he drops in the draft the teams are gonna regret overthinking not picking him.

You can take for granted that he would score piles of goals at the world juniors. The questions are about how he'd fit in the NHL.

There were a lot of low percentage plays in that video. And his defensive game is as bad as it gets at this point. I think that will improve but I'm not sure about how good of a creator he'll be at 5v5. Sochi is bad and he's a KHL rookie, so you don't expect to see it at this point, but eventually I want to see longer give and go possessions and longer cycles. Michkov doesn't seem to know how to do that stuff yet.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You can take for granted that he would score piles of goals at the world juniors. The questions are about how he'd fit in the NHL.

There were a lot of low percentage plays in that video. And his defensive game is as bad as it gets at this point. I think that will improve but I'm not sure about how good of a creator he'll be at 5v5. Sochi is bad and he's a KHL rookie, so you don't expect to see it at this point, but eventually I want to see longer give and go possessions and longer cycles. Michkov doesn't seem to know how to do that stuff yet.

Cycling is a team thing, if even one player fails it won't work so how can you say he can't cycle?

He rarely does any mistakes under pressure, his passes are sometimes reckless but it's because he wants to do something creative. And it means he thinks the game very quickly already.

Last edited:

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018

Really? Are we watching the same video?

I was seeing a ton of safe smart plays. He doesn’t do the dumb 1v3 because that’s not gonna work against men. He made some risky passes but he’s a kid in a men’s league I was surprised how much poised he had with the puck. I thought he would never have enough time to make a play and yet he would.

There was a few good cycling plays where you could tell he was a step faster than other players there. Guy has good edges and balance for his age.

The fly by were bad but better than all of the cherry picking I saw in the WJCs by other top prospects.

Reactions: bert

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Really? Are we watching the same video?

I was seeing a ton of safe smart plays. He doesn’t do the dumb 1v3 because that’s not gonna work against men. He made some risky passes but he’s a kid in a men’s league I was surprised how much poised he had with the puck. I thought he would never have enough time to make a play and yet he would.

There was a few good cycling plays where you could tell he was a step faster than other players there. Guy has good edges and balance for his age.

The fly by were bad but better than all of the cherry picking I saw in the WJCs by other top prospects.

I'm not sure you'll see much 1v1 stuff from Michkov because his tools aren't like that. I don't want players to go 1v3 but I do like players that can utilize quickness and fakes to buy time. I didn't see that from him.

Getting angled into the corner and then trying to beat a pro goalie with a red line shot is usually just a turnover, I'm getting tired of seeing him try that play.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What the teams will do is they will still rank the players accordingly but will decide wether to draft him or not. I don’t think the special operation will affect him coming over or not and he will arrive in here in 2026.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The problem with the KHL points comparisons is that so many of the previous draft eligibles were playing 5 or 10 minutes a night. What was Ovechkin playing compared to Michkov? I have no idea.

You also have to wonder how much the size difference will matter at the NHL level, Ovechkin being about 70 lbs heavier. We know tiny players find it much easier to succeed in the KHL.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
The problem with the KHL points comparisons is that so many of the previous draft eligibles were playing 5 or 10 minutes a night. What was Ovechkin playing compared to Michkov? I have no idea.

You also have to wonder how much the size difference will matter at the NHL level, Ovechkin being about 70 lbs heavier. We know tiny players find it much easier to succeed in the KHL.

It’s just a rough comparison. In terms of ice time? Who knows.
But one thing is certain. In general the KHL is a better league than the old Russian Superleague.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Yeah, NHL giants like Johnny Hockey or DeBrincat own the league with their physical power... And do you mean Ovi wasn't as good as Michkov because he was too heavy?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

if the juniors allowed russia back in over austria, then i would've easily expected a good clash between bedard and michkov. but this is already grounds for setting off a bad discussion.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, NHL giants like Johnny Hockey or DeBrincat own the league with their physical power... And do you mean Ovi wasn't as good as Michkov because he was too heavy?

Those guys are more elusive. You can be small but you better be very slippery. Actually I think DeBrincat might be a reasonable comp for Michkov, if he gets quicker.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Michkov is as elusive as a player can be.

I'll keep it in mind that you said that for my next viewing, but that certainly wasn't my impression from the Ak Bars game. I think he's super intelligent but not sure if he has quick enough feet to buy time vs good defenders.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
DeBrincat is a much better playmaker.
Stop this Shit. Dont worry Bedard Will Go First. But after It doesnt Matter which Team they will Pick Michkov. He is simply too good. I dont understand the Point. It seems that some Guys Here are Doing everything they can to critizise him. Everybody should be excited to witness a draft with two outstanding Prospects. Immagine your Favorite Team picks Michkov. Then i guarantee you It doesn t matter If He is from Japan, Russia or south africa. He will BE a Cane, a hab and thats IT. Lets be Happy. WE Need real outstanding Players in the NHl and i want that Bedard and Michkov Take the place of Crosby and Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad