Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
giphy.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But CBJ situation is different. They are a lottery team with lots of opportunities for players like this. They have had a graveyard up the middle for years to the point they have given in to desperate moves like trying Laine as a C. In that type of a situation I'd hope a top prospect would atleast be able to hold down a top 6 role if not 2C. And looking at their fans opinion of him, it doesn't seem like they are blaming usage or icetime on it.

think you need to look at what he has done at the ages he has done it. He is still only 21. He has scored what he has on a shitshow team. Not bad. Still has potential. What player is fully developed at 21?

Reactions: KingBogo

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting that Chevy has not been able to get a good enough deal on this asset yet. I thought this one was going to go a bit quicker but Chevy is a grinder that’s for sure. I have learned to be patient with Chevy on gun to the head trades though.

Too bad Buffalo scooped up McLeod on us :sarcasm: (this is why I am comfortable waiting a bit)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Are we sure that McGroarty would sign with another NHL team and forego the next college season? Few teams can guarantee an NHL roster spot, so maybe he's content with whatever income he can generate in the NCAA and wait a year. In that case, he's not really tradeable at this point. That might also explain why Chevy and the Jets soured on him. They didn't want him to return to college.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Are we sure that McGroarty would sign with another NHL team and forego the next college season? Few teams can guarantee an NHL roster spot, so maybe he's content with whatever income he can generate in the NCAA and wait a year. In that case, he's not really tradeable at this point. That might also explain why Chevy and the Jets soured on him. They didn't want him to return to college.
I'm thinking this is a bit of a wake up call for McGroarty's camp.

Maybe the reason nothing is happening is because no org is insane enough to give an unproven kid a roster spot with zero proof of performance.

Even the teams that might be willing to give him an opening day spot are probably extremely few, making a deal harder.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
If we got him back, you have to reinvent him to some extent. There isn't much place in today's NHL, for a player who just takes saucer passes and doesn't do much else. Did you see even a single player in the playoffs play that role? He would no doubt help our PP, but I would hope as his career goes on and he gets himself mentally healthy, that he works on becoming a much more complete player, including the dedication to the off ice work needed. Saying that, I'm probably more open to bringing Laine back than most posters around here.

Kind of think Kyle Connor is just a better version of Laine at this point, and not sure we have room on the team for two guys like that. Maybe if Laine can get back to playing extremely physical and add a bit of defense, but it seems a bit late...

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Maybe the reason nothing is happening is because no org is insane enough to give an unproven kid a roster spot with zero proof of performance.

Even the teams that might be willing to give him an opening day spot are probably extremely few, making a deal harder.
Also makes you wonder if there is maybe some sort of "unofficial collusion" with GMs realizing that this can happen to any of them after Gauthier pulled the same thing in Philly... so best to let these guys sit their way through the last 2 years of school

At the end of the day, only 1 of the other 31 GMs will benefit from this by landing Rutger (either by trading assets for him or convincing him to sign there in 2 years), but the orher 30 now have weakened negotiating positions with their NCAA draft picks. It sets the stage for more of these guys coming to teams and dictating terms of usage, etc

It can also backfire on the NCAA-bound USNDT guys of the future because more teams will pass on them in the draft out of fear of them pulling this. Won't affect the superstars, but the next tier maybe (which is where I'd put Rutger). Falling out of the top half of the first round or even into the 2nd could affect future earning for some of these guys

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

The whole "guaranteed roster spot" thing would just be a verbal agreement anyways right? Like it's never part of a deal, and once he signs an ELC the gm could send him down and if he doesn't like it and refused to play he would get suspended or something?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The whole "guaranteed roster spot" thing would just be a verbal agreement anyways right? Like it's never part of a deal, and once he signs an ELC the gm could send him down and if he doesn't like it and refused to play he would get suspended or something?
perhaps verbal agreement or movement of a current NHL player(s)

the Jets Fwd group is essentially the same to start 22-23. Perhaps there is opportunity on the 4th line for Rutger if Kupari goes down, and/or Gus or something. But i think there's clearly no spot in the top-9.

HF hates when prospects are on the 4th line & i am guessing 1st round caliber prospects of his stature don't see much value there playing under 10mins a night and banished certain points in the game either.

i can see him probably wanting to see a spot actually open up (NHL player moved) so the TC competition is actually a legitimate competition b/w him and the other younger guys. IIRC Morgan Barron was told last year or 2 years ago in the Summer he was going to be a bottom-6er prior to even playing much for the Jets, or Perfetti being told no matter how well he played he was going to be in the AHL (believe this was 21-22). I think the the roster is pretty much set already so just a verbal agreement isn't strong enough.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
Prediction: Rutger NOT traded this year and instead goes back to college. Traded next off season (not at TDL either). Not saying it's what I'd do or what's best for the org but IMHO if this was gonna happen, it'd have happened already.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

Chevy takes forever to make decisions. How long did the Sabres have an offer for Kane on the table before Chevy pulled the trigger? I'm sure whatever Kane's value was didnt go up once the track suit hit the shower. But that's when the trade was made. That was good value given the circumstances.

Prediction: Rutger NOT traded this year and instead goes back to college. Traded next off season (not at TDL either). Not saying it's what I'd do or what's best for the org but IMHO if this was gonna happen, it'd have happened already.
Jets cave, sign him and by chance he will "earn" his spot on the team at training camp.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am surprised that a McGroarty trade hasn't been completed yet.

One possibility is that Chevy hoped to nab a top 15 pick at the draft but interested teams decided to keep their pick with the way the draft panned out.

Another possibility is that Chevy is contemplating a trade that has some cap or other complications. One thought might be CBJ and Laine. CBJ seems like a logical destination for McGroarty, but the Laine situation is unresolved until he's out of the assistance program.

Another possibility is that the Jets have multiple irons in the fire including Ehlers, and the McGroarty situation has some dependency on cap and other considerations that involve an Ehlers trade.

The least optimistic but realistic option is that after a few teams pulled out of trade talks at the draft, the trade market for McGroarty dried up because there aren't enough teams that he would sign with this summer.

Chevy seems a bit sour about the McGroarty situation, so my guess is that he's facing one of the unpalatable options and is having a hard time finding a good trade value for him now. In that case, he has to hope that he can find a good market for him at the trade deadline. That will depend largely on McGroarty having a very strong season and being willing to sign next season.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I am surprised that a McGroarty trade hasn't been completed yet.

One possibility is that Chevy hoped to nab a top 15 pick at the draft but interested teams decided to keep their pick with the way the draft panned out.

Another possibility is that Chevy is contemplating a trade that has some cap or other complications. One thought might be CBJ and Laine. CBJ seems like a logical destination for McGroarty, but the Laine situation is unresolved until he's out of the assistance program.

Another possibility is that the Jets have multiple irons in the fire including Ehlers, and the McGroarty situation has some dependency on cap and other considerations that involve an Ehlers trade.

The least optimistic but realistic option is that after a few teams pulled out of trade talks at the draft, the trade market for McGroarty dried up because there aren't enough teams that he would sign with this summer.

Chevy seems a bit sour about the McGroarty situation, so my guess is that he's facing one of the unpalatable options and is having a hard time finding a good trade value for him now. In that case, he has to hope that he can find a good market for him at the trade deadline. That will depend largely on McGroarty having a very strong season and being willing to sign next season.

I think the Jets are using the same playbook as they used with Scheifele and Hellebuyck last year. Big speculation they wanted out and wouldn’t sign with the Jets. Chevy shops them around a bit, with a really high price tag. No one bites. Then Chevy goes back to them, tells them that the Jets value them a lot more than any other team does, bends a little bit and eventually signs them.

I could see a similar path with Rutger. Imagine Rutger hearing that the Wild would rather have Buium than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad