Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think that is a perfectly valid option here. The Jets are not the genie from Alladin out here granting wishes. Unless there is a genuinely good offer, there is no reason for the Jets to move him for the sake of moving him. I'll gladly take a 2nd round pick 2 years from now as compensation and move on. He can start his career at 22 like 5th, 6th, 7th round picks do with an entire ELC to get through before any hope of a better contract or arbitration rights.

Yup, Chevy will wait until he gets his ask.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I think that is a perfectly valid option here. The Jets are not the genie from Alladin out here granting wishes. Unless there is a genuinely good offer, there is no reason for the Jets to move him for the sake of moving him. I'll gladly take a 2nd round pick 2 years from now as compensation and move on. He can start his career at 22 like 5th, 6th, 7th round picks do with an entire ELC to get through before any hope of a better contract or arbitration rights.
Exactly. He has zero leverage, is forfeiting millions in career earnings and is risking severe injury to wait out a chance to fulfill his lifelong dream in the NHL. He's not Lindros and he's not even Cutter Gauthier.

If we trade him because he demands it, we can forget about drafting anyone from the US National Team again. This kid can go f*** himself, for all I care. I prefer a 2nd + let him walk in two years over a late first now. Somebody has to take a stand, it might as well be us.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
If it really is about not being handed a significant role with the team I do kind of have to chuckle just a little bit. Like I think of his buddy Frank Nazar who signed with the Blackhawks in April and the Blackhawks just added 3 guys to their top 9 in the past week. Perception and timing are funny things.

I really hope we figure out something with the Blue Jackets. They seem like they have some surplus at center now that they have Monahan in the fold.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If I were Jets management, I'd hold off afor a year. See if the Jets do well and quasi dare McGroarty to talk any shade on Jets development ability while he continually forgoes an early paycheck. Get some young prospect company men and/or Jets home grown veterans to say glowing things about their development and see if things can get massaged over time. If not, he can still be moved down the road

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think a significant element in re-signing those two last year was that they discovered the big-dollar market just wasn't there for them the way they thought it was going to be. Look how late it went, practically to the start of training camp. To me that says they were getting a lot of "no thanks." Only then did they decide that $8.5M from the Jets was okay after all. In McG's case, the money won't be anywhere near that level, he's much younger, and apparently many teams are interested in him, more than were interested in 55 and 37 last year at their salary demand. Toss in Chevy's surly reaction whenever McG is mentioned to him these days, and it really does seem that if Chevy is going to work any so-called magic, it's going to have to be in a trade.
Probably right there. Even with the cap going up teams in FLA only going into the $8-9x8 range for Reinhart and Guentzel

Reactions: Buffdog

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
If it really is about not being handed a significant role with the team I do kind of have to chuckle just a little bit. Like I think of his buddy Frank Nazar who signed with the Blackhawks in April and the Blackhawks just added 3 guys to their top 9 in the past week. Perception and timing are funny things.

I really hope we figure out something with the Blue Jackets. They seem like they have some surplus at center now that they have Monahan in the fold.
Would we do McG for Sillinger?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Columbus still makes a ton of sense for the Jets. They have a lot of depth at C...

Jenner, Fantilli, Monahan, Sillinger, Johnson (Lindstrom up soon)

They also have a lot on RW...

Laine, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Brindley

They are lacking on LW...

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would we do McG for Sillinger?
That's a tough one. I go back and forth on that.

He was drafted around the same slot as McGroarty at #12 but his development has been uneven, probably because he was rushed into the NHL.

He doesn't have ideal speed for C, and I'm not sure if he would really rise to a true 2C level. But he is still quite young. You'd have to really trust your pro scouts on that one, because McGroarty is a high price to pay if Sillinger isn't up to playing in the top 6.

I might actually prefer one of their young RW like Chinakhov or Marchenko if they added another future pick (unfortunately, they lack a 2nd round pick next season).

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
“So, I’m not going to go down the Rutger path right now,” Cheveldayoff stated on Monday. “I don’t have enough information to give you an update.”

Is just me or is this a weird response? You are the GM of the Jets. Have you not picked up the phone and talked to this guy? You should know what he wants or doesn't want.

Or you have talked to him, don't like the answer, and are just pissed, so you don't want to talk about it.

Or he's ghosting you.
That's Chevy-speak for "I'm not answering your question".

At least he didn't use his favorite word in the process.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Exactly. He has zero leverage, is forfeiting millions in career earnings and is risking severe injury to wait out a chance to fulfill his lifelong dream in the NHL. He's not Lindros and he's not even Cutter Gauthier.

If we trade him because he demands it, we can forget about drafting anyone from the US National Team again. This kid can go f*** himself, for all I care. I prefer a 2nd + let him walk in two years over a late first now. Somebody has to take a stand, it might as well be us.
Arguably Philly should have taken a stand with Cutter, if they had then today they would have had a similar prospect back in a trade in Rutger. Instead they went and traded for depreciating asset. I really hope the Jets don't make that kind of a trade.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I might be the minority on here but I really hope the McG thing really works it's self out . I really like the player and his style of play . There must be some middle ground there to get things worked out , here's hoping .
You either guarantee him a spot on the Jets or you don't. Not sure what the middle ground could be. A guaranteed spot in the PB?

This is a case where I hope Chevy does the Chevy thing and waits for his best deal. However long it takes. Rutger stew is best served well done. Paired with a RHD.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
You either guarantee him a spot on the Jets or you don't. Not sure what the middle ground could be. A guaranteed spot in the PB?

Oh, that'd be a hoot. Guarantee a roster spot, and he's on the roster as a 14th F. And gets passed over when injuries happen with a call up from the Moose.

"Hey, I only guaranteed a spot on the roster, I said nothing about playing time"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly it will hurt the Jets org more to sit on this just to spite him, both in terms of assets and reputation with the players.

As with the other players who have wanted out, Chevy accommodated them when he got the pieces he needed for them. I imagine it will be much the same here. If someone were to meet Chevy's ask he'd be on his way out tomorrow.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If someone were to meet Chevy's ask he'd be on his way out tomorrow.
100%
I'd tell him straight...if you don't want to let us develop you properly and decide where you play next year, we will end up deciding for you that you play college hockey next season. If we don't get what we consider a fair return, you won't be in the NHL this season.
Pretty big headed to think he could have a spot on the big team next year guaranteed if that is the truth.
I think Copper played some games for the Moose his first full year and he was probably more ready than McG.

If Ehlers wants more than 7.5 and more than 6 years, I'd trade them both. Ehlers can be extended now so you would get a pretty penny back for him.
Buffalo has a whack of prospects and young players and are lacking veteran experience. Ehlers would do well there. They'd have to give up something of substance and I'd base the deal around Ehlers and Quinn. He turns 23 this fall and is a really good young player that will be at least a 2RWer.
An extended Ehlers for Quinn and Kulich? They have Tuch and Peterka on RW so they aren't hurting.
I'd swap Ehlers straight up for JJ Peterka.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Honestly it will hurt the Jets org more to sit on this just to spite him, both in terms of assets and reputation with the players.

As with the other players who have wanted out, Chevy accommodated them when he got the pieces he needed for them. I imagine it will be much the same here. If someone were to meet Chevy's ask he'd be on his way out tomorrow.
Described perfectly. Chevy just might be the most patient GM in the league. I know he drives the less patient around here crazy, but Chevy won’t pull the trigger until his ask gets matched. In the long run it serves us well, though it can be frustrating at times.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
And there is 100% a GM out there that thinks it was an astute decision to draft Stanley 17th overall. You know who that GM is? Kevin Chevyldayoff. Embarrassing the day it happened…..and absolutely a complete failure of the scouting department looking back retrospectively….
Ahh, I was ok with the pic. It was a second 1st rounder, he displayed some real grit, leadership and 2 way game in the OHL. Everyone knew he was a project. It did not work out as hoped.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
There is no NCAA loophole.
How long does a team retain rights to a CHL player they drafted? 2 years, and then they go back into the draft. If they get drafted again their new drafted club gets 2 years to sign them. Same total term as NCAA. Difference is CHL player becomes a FA July 1. NCAA player needs to wait until Aug 15.

If an NCAA player then signs with another team the drafting team gets compensation. When the CHL player walks there is no compensation. Or is there? Correct me if wrong.
The difference is that you can’t sign a player until they leave NCAA so Rut probably would have signed last year at development camp but couldn’t. Now that ship has sailed. Any other league and you can sign the player and they can continue to play there or you own their rights forever like with Russians.

It is a loophole in my view so we will have to agree to disagree.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
What about Soderatrom from Utah now that they extended Durzi and traded for Marino?

A rhd drafted around the same spot but has put in the time in the AHL. (11oa in 2019).

He needs a new contract and they also have big maverick in the prospect stable and a trillion picks. Just spitballing here…. Don’t really know his game well at all.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Oh, that'd be a hoot. Guarantee a roster spot, and he's on the roster as a 14th F. And gets passed over when injuries happen with a call up from the Moose.

"Hey, I only guaranteed a spot on the roster, I said nothing about playing time"
The problem with that is that it's not ideal for anyone

Rutger is better off in the Moose or at school playing big minutes and PP time than practicing with the team and getting fat in popcorn and hotdogs in the pressbox

The worst part about all of this is that it's entirely possible that there are holes in Rutgers game that need some time in the Moose to fill in. By trying to side-step that part of the development process, him and his camp are ultimately going to cost him money in the long term if he never becomes the best player that he can be

This whole thing has made me respect Brad Lambert so much more. Fell in the draft. Got cut from the Jets. Struggled on rhe Moose. Got f***ed over by his WJC coach. Then sent to JUNIORS!

Did he pout or whine? Nope, just went down there and worked his ass off and lit it up. Came into camp the next year with a great attitude, went down to the AHL without a peep and worked through his first full pro year in NA (never easy) and excelled

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The problem with that is that it's not ideal for anyone

Rutger is better off in the Moose or at school playing big minutes and PP time than practicing with the team and getting fat in popcorn and hotdogs in the pressbox

The worst part about all of this is that it's entirely possible that there are holes in Rutgers game that need some time in the Moose to fill in. By trying to side-step that part of the development process, him and his camp are ultimately going to cost him money in the long term if he never becomes the best player that he can be

This whole thing has made me respect Brad Lambert so much more. Fell in the draft. Got cut from the Jets. Struggled on rhe Moose. Got f***ed over by his WJC coach. Then sent to JUNIORS!

Did he pout or whine? Nope, just went down there and worked his ass off and lit it up. Came into camp the next year with a great attitude, went down to the AHL without a peep and worked through his first full pro year in NA (never easy) and excelled

Yup, most kids need some development. Brad is the poster boy for having the raw athleticism and skating but he also had big holes in his game. He's done a great job at correcting a good many of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad