Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
“So, I’m not going to go down the Rutger path right now,” Cheveldayoff stated on Monday. “I don’t have enough information to give you an update.”

Is just me or is this a weird response? You are the GM of the Jets. Have you not picked up the phone and talked to this guy? You should know what he wants or doesn't want.

Or you have talked to him, don't like the answer, and are just pissed, so you don't want to talk about it.

Or he's ghosting you.

It's a "I'm not saying anything that the media is going to turn into a massive rumour" response.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'd be tempted now to hang on until spring. There's really no spot for rookies if Ehlers extends. I wonder what we've been offered.
I don't see a reason not to. Let him stew for a season and revisit trade talks leading up to the draft next season once the selection order has been established

Playoff teams are gonna want to save their 1sts for TDL and non-playoff teams should want to see how the lottery shakes out

Unless it's a part of a bigger deal for a younger player who is (actually) NHL ready

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I feel like the first question Jets should ask from now on with any prospect before being drafted is "If we draft you, are you going to pull a Jacob McGroarty within the next 2-5 years?"

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I feel like the first question Jets should ask from now on with any prospect before being drafted is "If we draft you, are you going to pull a Jacob McGroarty within the next 2-5 years?"
I’m sure they asked how he would like to play in Winnipeg….and he prob told them he would love nothing more than to play for the Jets lol

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't see a reason not to. Let him stew for a season and revisit trade talks leading up to the draft next season once the selection order has been established

Playoff teams are gonna want to save their 1sts for TDL and non-playoff teams should want to see how the lottery shakes out

Unless it's a part of a bigger deal for a younger player who is (actually) NHL ready

McGroarty and his camp is finding out that Chevy won't make a move until he gets his price. If Chevy needs to wait a year he'll do it.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
So last year the Jets were in the same boat Scheifele and Hellebuyck were leaving and Chevy surprised EVERYONE by signing both of them in September.
Can Chevy do it again work his magic and sign both Ehlers and McGroarty this September?
I think a significant element in re-signing those two last year was that they discovered the big-dollar market just wasn't there for them the way they thought it was going to be. Look how late it went, practically to the start of training camp. To me that says they were getting a lot of "no thanks." Only then did they decide that $8.5M from the Jets was okay after all. In McG's case, the money won't be anywhere near that level, he's much younger, and apparently many teams are interested in him, more than were interested in 55 and 37 last year at their salary demand. Toss in Chevy's surly reaction whenever McG is mentioned to him these days, and it really does seem that if Chevy is going to work any so-called magic, it's going to have to be in a trade.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I think a significant element in re-signing those two last year was that they discovered the big-dollar market just wasn't there for them the way they thought it was going to be. Look how late it went, practically to the start of training camp. To me that says they were getting a lot of "no thanks." Only then did they decide that $8.5M from the Jets was okay after all. In McG's case, the money won't be anywhere near that level, he's much younger, and apparently many teams are interested in him, more than were interested in 55 and 37 last year at their salary demand. Toss in Chevy's surly reaction whenever McG is mentioned to him these days, and it really does seem that if Chevy is going to work any so-called magic, it's going to have to be in a trade.
I mean, you really have no idea what offers were there or what anyone's intentions were, so speaking like you have actual insight is a bit much.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Isn't he just basically saying that the McGroarty situation is unresolved, and he doesn't want to discuss the situation until there is some resolution? Why would he keep the media up to date about ongoing discussions, whether they be for trades or even attempts to sign him?
The Ehlers situation is also unresolved yet Chevy speaks of him as a valued team member. Last year the Sceifele and Hellebuyck situations were unresolved and he spoke of them in similar terms. This year the McG situation is unresolved and all we get are crickets and a scowl. There's definitely something different this time around.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah, I think McGroarty is gone. Ehlers I'm 50/50 on right now.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
The Ehlers situation is also unresolved yet Chevy speaks of him as a valued team member. Last year the Sceifele and Hellebuyck situations were unresolved and he spoke of them in similar terms. This year the McG situation is unresolved and all we get are crickets and a scowl. There's definitely something different this time around.
Agreed. Hearing the tidbits that Chevy has said publicly, I would go so far as to say I think he actually dislikes McGroarty. I've never seen him so blunt about a player before.

Could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling on it.

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I mean, you really have no idea what offers were there or what anyone's intentions were, so speaking like you have actual insight is a bit much.
"I think" and "To me that says" and "apparently" and "it really does seem" imply a post is nothing more than opinion, which is the fuel of hfboards. You apparently infer something else from those words. Very insightful.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Toss in Chevy's surly reaction whenever McG is mentioned to him these days, and it really does seem that if Chevy is going to work any so-called magic, it's going to have to be in a trade.
The surly reaction has me guessing, too. In the past, Chevy would usually tip his cap to say something like "we will only trade the player if it benefits our hockey club" but he's not saying any of that.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

Can players talk contracts with other teams while they are under contract? That doesn't seem right to me

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
“So, I’m not going to go down the Rutger path right now,” Cheveldayoff stated on Monday. “I don’t have enough information to give you an update.”

Is just me or is this a weird response? You are the GM of the Jets. Have you not picked up the phone and talked to this guy? You should know what he wants or doesn't want.

Or you have talked to him, don't like the answer, and are just pissed, so you don't want to talk about it.

Or he's ghosting you.
Gauthier apparently ghosted Philly.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I appreciate that this is just an opinion but it seems like you started from "well Chevy is incompetent so everything that happened came from the worst possible explanation".

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
"I think" and "To me that says" and "apparently" and "it really does seem" imply a post is nothing more than opinion, which is the fuel of hfboards. You apparently infer something else from those words. Very insightful.
"they discovered..." and "only then did they decide..." imply something more than opinion. 🤔🤥

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
If they are using the same playbook then it is likely the same here. It was probably a we are done with your org, trade us and we will not speak further.
That was a Kurt Overhardt special.

If that is indeed the case, my preference would be to call his bluff and that we won't be trading him anywhere. Enjoy your next couple years of college and the millions in lost income. We will only be answering calls from you or your agent if you change your mind.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Difference is there’s more attachment to those players as they have put in years of service in a Jets uniform. Rutger while Jets property has yet to play a game for the team so Chevy’s responses will seem more skewed to the guys that have gone to war for the team.

That’s not to say I expect a happy Rutger resolution. Just a noted difference in circumstance. Just don’t think you can read too much one way or another into Chevy speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: roccerfeller

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
That was a Kurt Overhardt special.

If that is indeed the case, my preference would be to call his bluff and that we won't be trading him anywhere. Enjoy your next couple years of college and the millions in lost income. We will only be answering calls from you or your agent if you change your mind.

I think that is a perfectly valid option here. The Jets are not the genie from Alladin out here granting wishes. Unless there is a genuinely good offer, there is no reason for the Jets to move him for the sake of moving him. I'll gladly take a 2nd round pick 2 years from now as compensation and move on. He can start his career at 22 like 5th, 6th, 7th round picks do with an entire ELC to get through before any hope of a better contract or arbitration rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad