Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
Preferring veterans over prospects in roster construction, not giving up proper chances for prospects to prove themselves (/setting them up to fail in roles that they aren't suited for), over-cooking prospects in the AHL (largely tied to the first point, and likely relevant regarding McG), coaches deploying systems that complicate promoting new talent into meaningful roles. Examples of these have been posted numerous times by numerous posters.

If I was McGroarty, it wouldn't be the first two points I was worried about - the Jets have generally been alright with top prospects, although most of them were promoted into an AHL level roster a long time ago. But as for the latter two, I'd absolutely want a guarantee that I didn't have to spend 2+ seasons in the AHL earning nothing, with the potential of only getting a fourth line job with no prospects of becoming a top six guy down the line (because there wasn't a top six spot open and nothing was done about it).

This whole issue could be down to numerous factors, but as not all of them are in the Jets' hands, I think it's best to focus on those that are - treating prospects well, making roster decisions that support their careers, and so on.
Jets still hold the cards here. Letting a prospect push you into trades hurts long term. He could have turned pro after year one, did a year of pro, then would have the experience now to win a job on merit. Let him sit. It will be good for him as well. A little suffering makes you value your opportunities

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally, I don’t think he gets a shot at the opening day roster by having a good in training camp.

I think the organization would want him to spend some time in the AHL. We are in a win now mode and I don’t think that aligns with prospects going from the NCAA strait into the NHL. I am not saying TNSE are wrong either. If McG did well I could see him getting called up to the Jets by mid season (if injuries occur) or by the start of the 2025-26 season.

My 2 cents

It is Training Camp, not Tryout Camp.

Reactions: surixon and ps241

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
What shit hole can we trade him to? Winn…. Oh wait. :sarcasm:

Would NJ give up #10 for McGroarty and a sweetener, say Stanley? Then draft the best dman on the board?
The fact that you refer to Stanley as a “sweetener” might be the most laughable statement I’ve read in a long time….

Reactions: Bob E

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets still hold the cards here. Letting a prospect push you into trades hurts long term. He could have turned pro after year one, did a year of pro, then would have the experience now to win a job on merit. Let him sit. It will be good for him as well. A little suffering makes you value your opportunities

So question for you.

When you say letting a prospect push you into trades hurts long term I think you reflect the position I have held, but I am starting to take a second look at it.

Almost every high profile young player (I am aware of) that has wanted out, or kind of pushed their way out publicly, has not really hurt us.

Kane :help:, Trouba (Yikes on that contract and he could get waved today), Laine (injuries and other has kind of derailed him), PLD is a blow out

I think as long as we make a solid trade then maybe it’s best to “drive them to the airport” if they don’t want to be here.

I don’t think it’s hurting us as much as I thought it would.

Last edited:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Players and prospects do have leverage, and that's a wonderful thing. They have next to no say in who they're drafted by at 18 years of age: it's only fair that they get to exercise the little leverage they have in the beginning of their careers. In McG's case here, returning to Michigan likely costs him money - money that he'll hope to recoup later on by playing somewhere else.

Yes, it's not always beneficial for the Jets, but it can also send the org a message: become an org that players want to play for. I think we've seen that it can happen - and happens, just look at our UFA extensions from recent times.
I couldn’t disagree more with your opinion here. Playing professional hockey is a privilege and if you want to play in the NHL there is a player draft to ensure a fair distribution of talent. There is a salary cap to ensure parity. These systems are intentionally in place. A draft pick may prefer one destination over another but they don’t or shouldn’t have the right to force their way there until they’ve satisfied the service requirements to the team that drafted them.

The NCAA loophole is a major problem that needs to be closed in the next CBA. It isn’t “fair”. That is the cost of playing in the NHL. If you want to choose your city as a rookie play in a different league.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
There is 100% a GM out there who would think that they could turn Stanley into Chara
And there is 100% a GM out there that thinks it was an astute decision to draft Stanley 17th overall. You know who that GM is? Kevin Chevyldayoff. Embarrassing the day it happened…..and absolutely a complete failure of the scouting department looking back retrospectively….

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
And there is 100% a GM out there that thinks it was an astute decision to draft Stanley 17th overall. You know who that GM is? Kevin Chevyldayoff. Embarrassing the day it happened…..and absolutely a complete failure of the scouting department looking back retrospectively….

Nvm. I woke up grumpy today.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
“So, I’m not going to go down the Rutger path right now,” Cheveldayoff stated on Monday. “I don’t have enough information to give you an update.”

Is just me or is this a weird response? You are the GM of the Jets. Have you not picked up the phone and talked to this guy? You should know what he wants or doesn't want.

Or you have talked to him, don't like the answer, and are just pissed, so you don't want to talk about it.

Or he's ghosting you.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
“So, I’m not going to go down the Rutger path right now,” Cheveldayoff stated on Monday. “I don’t have enough information to give you an update.”

Is just me or is this a weird response? You are the GM of the Jets. Have you not picked up the phone and talked to this guy? You should know what he wants or doesn't want.

Or you have talked to him, don't like the answer, and are just pissed, so you don't want to talk about it.

Or he's ghosting you.

I hope I'm wrong.

But, nothing Cheveldayoff has said in regards to McGroarty gives me the slightest hint of a reconciliation.

I think whatever happened between McGroarty and the Jets burned the bridge forever.

kiss-of-death-god-father.gif

Last edited:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Or he's ghosting you.
That’s just Chevy not tipping his hand one way or another. He knows their current stance and is exploring all his options before making a crucial decision. Also wouldn’t surprise me if he’s making a last ditch attempt to mend the relationship before pulling the trigger on a deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I couldn’t disagree more with your opinion here. Playing professional hockey is a privilege and if you want to play in the NHL there is a player draft to ensure a fair distribution of talent. There is a salary cap to ensure parity. These systems are intentionally in place. A draft pick may prefer one destination over another but they don’t or shouldn’t have the right to force their way there until they’ve satisfied the service requirements to the team that drafted them.

The NCAA loophole is a major problem that needs to be closed in the next CBA. It isn’t “fair”. That is the cost of playing in the NHL. If you want to choose your city as a rookie play in a different league.

There is no NCAA loophole.
How long does a team retain rights to a CHL player they drafted? 2 years, and then they go back into the draft. If they get drafted again their new drafted club gets 2 years to sign them. Same total term as NCAA. Difference is CHL player becomes a FA July 1. NCAA player needs to wait until Aug 15.

If an NCAA player then signs with another team the drafting team gets compensation. When the CHL player walks there is no compensation. Or is there? Correct me if wrong.

Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Or he's ghosting you.
Isn't he just basically saying that the McGroarty situation is unresolved, and he doesn't want to discuss the situation until there is some resolution? Why would he keep the media up to date about ongoing discussions, whether they be for trades or even attempts to sign him?

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I mean, surely he has to trade him this offseason right? Its a diminishing asset. You let him go back to college and he tears his ACL or something and youre hooped.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014

Or he's ghosting you.
I got it as I’m not gonna talk about it and don’t bother asking again. That’s the tone I get when listening to it. I’m sure he knows what’s going on. He seemed pretty happy when the next question changed the subject.

Reactions: roccerfeller

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So last year the Jets were in the same boat Scheifele and Hellebuyck were leaving and Chevy surprised EVERYONE by signing both of them in September.
Can Chevy do it again work his magic and sign both Ehlers and McGroarty this September?

Reactions: roccerfeller

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I mean, surely he has to trade him this offseason right? Its a diminishing asset. You let him go back to college and he tears his ACL or something and youre hooped.

Not that much of a difference between with pick in the 20s and the compensatory pick they get anyways so I am comfortable standing pat waiting for something better to come into picture. I am OK with that risk. Also wouldn't be the worst thing for Rutger to attend classes like Geological Studies 101 for the next bit while his draft cohorts start their pro careers and start the clock on the ELCs.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Or he's ghosting you.
Maybe Rutger has Ned Braden as his advisor and this is how the convo went in April

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad