Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So lets say the Jets had guaranteed him a spot to get him to sign a contract, at least verbally, and then it turns out after training camp next season and a few games, he just isn't ready. So the Jets send him to the Moose. Then what? Two seconds after being sent to the Moose he's demanding a trade, because , well he was promised a NHL spot, and the Jets lied to him in his mind. Yet he's being sent down because of his poor play.

Just a scenario, but it's a no win for the Jets. This is why NO prospect can be promised or guaranteed anything, If you start down that path, you can't win as an organization. Other prospects will see these guarantees and demand them as well.

And I don't give a rats ass what sacrifices you or your family made to get you here. That was your choice, not the NHL team. You want to play in the NHL, then you earn it.

Yes. There is a line in the sand that teams can't cross. If players start arbitrarily drawing a line of their own this is going to be the result.

The team can go as far as saying that there will be a position for you - IF you can win it. They can say that you will be given every opportunity to win it. But they have to stop short of making any kind of guarantee.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Buffalo - Kulich and a 2nd
Islanders - 2024 Tampa Bay 1st + 2nd LA 2024
CBJ - Mateychuk + 2nd
I like Kulich and Mateychuk a lot more than the TB 1st rounder.

I'm pretty agnostic between Kulich and Mateychuk as I think about it. It would probably depend on other moves that could dictate whether we take the defenseman or the forward.

Having Mateychuk and Salamonsson as your top pairing on the Moose next year would be something.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Its a weird suggestion that the Jets haven't "eased" rookies into the lineup when that is exactly what they have been doing

2022/23 - Perfetti(20) 51 games/Gus(22) -46 games/Heinola 10 games
2021/22 - Perfetti(19) 18 games/Heinola(21) 12 games/Samberg(22) 15 games/Barron(22) 14 games /Ves(22) 53 games
2020/21 - Heinola(19) 5 games/ Gus(20) 4 games/Ves(21)12 games/PLD (22)41 games/Stanley(22)37 games
2019/20 - Heinola(18) 8 games/Gus(19) 22 games/Laine(21) 68 games/ Luoto(21) 16 games/ Connor(22) 76 games/ Roslovic(22) 71 games/Niku(22) 17 games
2018/19 - Ves(19) 5 games/Laine(20) 82 games/Connor(21) 82 games/ Roslovic(21) 77 games/ Niku(22) 30 games/ Ehlers(22) 62 games/Lemieux(22) 44 games/Apples(22) 36 gams
'

I can keep going back and showing it but its just weird that this meme that we are not incorporating young players into lineup is exactly what we have been doing and we do it so well we either churn out star NHL players or trade them for NHL players.

OK, I concede. :laugh:
I was thinking of a few who were not brought in and forgetting some of the ones who were.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like Kulich and Mateychuk a lot more than the TB 1st rounder.

I'm pretty agnostic between Kulich and Mateychuk as I think about it. It would probably depend on other moves that could dictate whether we take the defenseman or the forward.

Having Mateychuk and Salamonsson as your top pairing on the Moose next year would be something.

Would prefer Mateychuk as it would really set our defense prospect pool up.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Say Chevy caved to McGroaty. How pissed would you be if you are Brad Lambert? Lambert changes his development path from always playing st the highest level to the Jets convincing him to drop down to Junior to rebuild himself and working his way back up to getting a game in the NHL last year. He is doing everything asked and excelling. Then this dickhead complains a way to a NHL spot?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Buffalo - Kulich and a 2nd
Islanders - 2024 Tampa Bay 1st + 2nd LA 2024
CBJ - Mateychuk + 2nd

Do we get a 2nd with Mateychuk? He was drafted 2 spots b4 McGro and seems to have developed well since.

I like Kulich + 2nd. He is still unproven but so is McGro. He is a C who has succeeded at every level he has played below the NHL. He has a full season in the AHL under his belt already at 20 YO and has played pro in Europe.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The assumption is that we would be better with younger players/rookies in the lineup.

How many rookies were in Edmonton and Florida's lineup this year? Zero.

I think there is a fine line between easing rookies in and just tossing a bunch into the lineup and expecting them to win
Florida and Edmonton haven't had a lot of the high picks that would lead to rookies stepping right into the lineup - it's been a few years since either team had a pick in the top half of the first round

And you know who else had zero rookies in their playoff lineup this year? Your Winnipeg Jets! ;)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Florida and Edmonton haven't had a lot of the high picks that would lead to rookies stepping right into the lineup - it's been a few years since either team had a pick in the top half of the first round

And you know who else had zero rookies in their playoff lineup this year? Your Winnipeg Jets! ;)

Ya, most playoff teams don’t have a ton of young players. It’s the real bad teams that do.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
The team can go as far as saying that there will be a position for you - IF you can win it. They can say that you will be given every opportunity to win it. But they have to stop short of making any kind of guarantee.
Speculation on my part but I suspect this is what Chevy told McG’s camp. Doesn’t seem that is what they wanted to hear.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Chevy told McG that he would sign him to his ELC and he'd get a solid chance at TC to make the team and McG doesn't like it, does that mean he isn't confident that he would make the roster?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
mcintyre on wst
-mcgroatry lot of people in his ear
-thinks he is getting some bad advice
-didn't like that he may have had to go to the ahl
-relationship took a turn after the frozen 4
-said he talked to someone connected to his camp and 3 teams to keep on eye on are buffalo, islanders and bluejackets
Add in Murat reported yesterday San Jose has interest.

So that would be 4 teams reported by our local beat writers:

- San Jose
- NY Islanders
- Columbus
- Buffalo

Reactions: roccerfeller

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jiricek would fit our needs perfectly on paper but it seems like a bit of a stretch. It does sound like he wasn’t happy with how he was treated last season. What are your thoughts on

What are your thoughts on Mateychuk? He looked very dynamic to me in the Momorial cup in a small sample size of me watching him.

I absolutely love Mateychuk. He was billeted across the street from me for his entire time on the Warriors. Smart kid, loves the sport, knows he has talent and is a natural born leader.

Plays a very activated kind of game. He's going to join the rush, he's going to win puck battles. Has a drive to just score every shift or at the very least make things happen. He can be a bit risky sometimes so if he had a partner that would be comfortable just staying back and letting him cook then I think he could excel.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
mcintyre on wst
-mcgroatry lot of people in his ear
-thinks he is getting some bad advice
-didn't like that he may have had to go to the ahl
-relationship took a turn after the frozen 4
-said he talked to someone connected to his camp and 3 teams to keep on eye on are buffalo, islanders and bluejackets
I think Cutter forcing his way to Anaheim opened some ideas / options for him.

Would be happy with a prospect swap with Columbus - they have some good D prospects or one of Buffalo's young forwards.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Add in Murat reported yesterday San Jose has interest.

So that would be 4 teams reported by our local beat writers:

- San Jose
- NY Islanders
- Columbus
- Buffalo
San Jose just traded for Buffalo's 1st rounder...11th overall could be Yakemchuk or Sennecke or Catton or ???

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
If we are going to get Laine...might as also bring back Evander Kane, Jacob Trouba and Tyler Myers.....get the old gang back together again
And you probably have just as much chance winning in the playoffs with that bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad