Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Using Perfetti as the reason why he doesn't trust Jets management and coaches to do what's right with his development is a bit weak IMO.

The Jets rolled into the playoffs with Connor, Ehlers, Nino, and Gus on LW and Vilardi, Tofolli, Appleton, and Iafallo on RW. Perfetti wasn't going to play on the 4th line, and really only could bump Gus who was seen as a strong defensive player, and decent PK'er option.

The AJF decision in game 4 was the only mis-step lineup wise and I'm sure Bones and Arniel recognize that and if they could have a mulligan on that decision, they would have gotten Cole in a game earlier. That said, its one game.

I see Cole having a big year this year cementing his spot in the top 6 and in the playoff lineup. That's a pretty good development path to me.

Given how shitty we played in the playoffs there were plenty of missteps.

I think Bones f***ed it up on a number of fronts. Needed to get his vet Toffoli back into the top 6 despite the KC Perfetti Monohan line sparking the team out of its late season loosing skid. So had to bench a player playing very good hockey and producing. Also needed to get Mark happy by bumping KC back up even though KC was having a lot of success on line two.

As such we went into the playoffs with a liability first line and a second line that couldn't keep up with the avs. Politics and biases ruled the day and we got caved in for it.

But yes I fully expect Cole to have a massive year and emerge as one of our best forwards and being rewarded for it accordingly.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
it's huge to the player and lets be honest the agent. It means Cutter's making millions more dollars in his career because he's getting those contracts a year earlier. Would love to see all gm's refuse to give a 10th game and watch these college kids drop in the draft if they're going to try and pull this stunt. Draft Canadians.

Yeah but by all accounts the Jets offered to burn a year. Just couldn't guarantee he would play. He doesn't need to play to burn a year. They could sign him today and he'd still burn a year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That this likely has nothing to do with burning a year and not being able to get a game in at the end of the season is such a trivial thing that it's probably not about that either.

There is definitely more to the story.

And he probably ends playing in that last game anyway. I would understand him being upset if the Jets didn't want to burn a year off his ELC but not anything else.

Reactions: roccerfeller

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
they didn't promise him a game because they were fighting for home ice... they didn't do it to get an extra year at a cheap price
If that was the reason and it wasn’t because he demands to play in the NHL next year then we were fools IMHO.
Yes I would have given him 6 mins on the 4th line for 1 game to not burn a bridge yikes

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If that was the reason and it wasn’t because he demands to play in the NHL next year then we were fools IMHO
"The Jets didn’t view McGroarty as ready to make that kind of impact, nor were they ready to guarantee him a roster spot in the NHL next season. McGroarty could sign and come to training camp but risked being demoted to the AHL instead of trying to lead his Michigan team to a national championship."

“We made it very open to him at the onset that we were more than willing to sign him, more than willing to turn him pro. But in the same token, we need him to make that decision for what he feels is best for his development,” Cheveldayoff said in May. “I think Rutger is looking for an even bigger role where he can help lead a team to greatness and help his development there.”

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If that was the reason and it wasn’t because he demands to play in the NHL next year then we were fools IMHO.
Yes I would have given him 6 mins on the 4th line for 1 game to not burn a bridge yikes
From the quote gojetsgo gave me, I'm assuming a 4th to playing time means I expect to be in the lineup no matter what.

The team has made development mistakes in the recent past. But the more and more I read the more it seems like the only thing the Jets could have done to have him under contract was outright lie to the kid's camp. Promise him playing time to sign and then just not follow through.

At least if we are being forced to trade a guy like Rutger.. he is NHL ready, with every single RFA year intact. His mother valuable years to a team are ahead.

Even just looking on these forums. Every single teams fans are saying we should give up this 1st and a prospect or this high 2nd and a player for him. And those are the low balls.

The situation sucks but it may end up forcing our hand to making what would have been a tough decision (or not even considered) otherwise.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If by signing him but not getting him into a game last year was the offer that is not good enough if I’m Rutger or his family….If he wanted more then that guaranteed it’s on him IMO

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
From the quote gojetsgo gave me, I'm assuming a 4th to playing time means I expect to be in the lineup no matter what.

The team has made development mistakes in the recent past. But the more and more I read the more it seems like the only thing the Jets could have done to have him under contract was outright lie to the kid's camp. Promise him playing time to sign and then just not follow through.

At least if we are being forced to trade a guy like Rutger.. he is NHL ready, with every single RFA year intact. His mother valuable years to a team are ahead.

Even just looking on these forums. Every single teams fans are saying we should give up this 1st and a prospect or this high 2nd and a player for him. And those are the low balls.

The situation sucks but it may end up forcing our hand to making what would have been a tough decision (or not even considered) otherwise.
yea, I think it seems pretty simple, he and his camp feel he is ready for the nhl and all his friends/teammates were making their debuts and felt he should be doing the same, jets couldn't promise him anything based on where we were in the standings and don't view him as ready as he thinks he is so they are unwilling to promise him a spot in the lineup for next year as well

Reactions: ps241

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The ELC burning theory seems like BS to me. I'm sure the Jets would burn a year if it meant bringing him in.
That’s what I hope also….If we find out different after this is all said and done and we were using a in the hunt for home ice as an excuse to not play him 6 min on the 4th line in one game I will be pissed.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Have they, though?

I see it more as "the team hasn't played their young players as much as I would have liked". That sentiment is shared by both posters on here, as well as media types. I feel like there's an echo-chamber effect going on as well.

Personally, I have no problem with how Perfetti was handled last season or how Heinola has had to over-ripen in the AHL

We've gotten to a point where people don't want to piss off 21 year old players, but have no problem pissing off proven vets. It's quite an amusing double standard

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Have they, though?

I see it more as "the team hasn't played their young players as much as I would have liked". That sentiment is shared by both posters on here, as well as media types. I feel like there's an echo-chamber effect going on as well.

Personally, I have no problem with how Perfetti was handled last season or how Heinola has had to over-ripen in the AHL

We've gotten to a point where people don't want to piss off 21 year old players, but have no problem missing off proven vets. It's quite an amusing double standard
I don't agree but I get what you're saying. Point well taken.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't agree but I get what you're saying. Point well taken.
To me, botching the development of a player means that they don't end up as impactful in the NHL as they could have been

Ironically, the best way to do that is to throw them in over their heads at a level that they can't handle

Look at Lambert... the org has handled that very well, and that involved him taking steps that would appear from the outside as "backwards", but they needed to be done

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Have they, though?

We've gotten to a point where people don't want to piss off 21 year old players, but have no problem pissing off proven vets. It's quite an amusing double standard
I agree, I think prospects are seen as shiny new toys and they get over protected by the fanbase.

Coaches demand consistency, that's why Heinola has spent so much time in the AHL. They want to see him come in and play the same way every night. If you're putting a guy in your lineup and you're nervous to put him on the ice because he's been missing his assignments, or being too aggressive in the o-zone and giving up 2 on 1s, he's not ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad