Recalled/Assigned: Russian savior 2.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't see the Backes comparisons at all, stylistically.

Stylistically i compared him to Bergeron during his junior years. Good skater. Great checking ablity with random big hits. He had that grind it out mentality with a flair for random jaw dropping plays

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Stylistically i compared him to Bergeron during his junior years. Good skater. Great checking ablity with random big hits. He had that grind it out mentality with a flair for random jaw dropping plays

That makes a lot more sense to me. Barbashev thrives on his speed, and while yes, he checks, it's not anywhere close to what Backes did.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am excited to see what he can do in the NHL. I have been a fan since the draft. When he was still on the board after the first round, I was praying he stuck to grab him with our early second. I just hope everyone has reasonable expectations for him. Fabbri and Parayko have us spoiled that we expect these young kids to come in and dominate. If a young guy makes a mistake or two, often times we are ready to ship them off. Let Barbashev play on the 4th line and adjust to the game. He will struggle some and make some mistakes. That is natural. Hopefully he can also contribute some skill up the middle as well. I just want to get a look at where he is vs NHL competition. I don't expect him to contribute a ton yet.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I'm pumped to see what he can do at the NHL level.

I know he's starting on the fourth line but what are the chances he stays there for the whole 5 weeks+ Brodziak is out for? I have a hard time imagining him not getting top-9 minutes at some point considering what Army has said about getting him minutes in the past.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I am excited to see what he can do in the NHL. I have been a fan since the draft. When he was still on the board after the first round, I was praying he stuck to grab him with our early second. I just hope everyone has reasonable expectations for him. Fabbri and Parayko have us spoiled that we expect these young kids to come in and dominate. If a young guy makes a mistake or two, often times we are ready to ship them off. Let Barbashev play on the 4th line and adjust to the game. He will struggle some and make some mistakes. That is natural. Hopefully he can also contribute some skill up the middle as well. I just want to get a look at where he is vs NHL competition. I don't expect him to contribute a ton yet.

He is going to save our season!!!!:sarcasm: I was very happy when we got him that late, then really depressed when I watched him last year. I hope this year is the player he is going forward and he can be a great 2/3 C for us.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'm really not expecting much in terms of production. I'm not looking for him to light the lamp. That'd be unfair to a 21 year old who is playing his first game and playing on our 4th line.

It's about paying attention to detail and the little things. How's he positioning himself? Supporting his teammates? Does he look overwhelmed physically? Can he skate at this level (not just speed, but edge work and control)? Is he back checking hard? For checking? Making smart plays with the puck? Utilizing his teammates properly? Picking smart shots? In fact, even if he is putting up points, I wouldn't judge him on that. But all of this will take time, at least 10 games to see and if we want a detailed look, more than 10.

If he looks like he belongs, and can check at this level, he'll be just fine. He needs to prove he can be trusted in all 3 zones and can apply the work necessary for the NHL.

When he's acclimated to the NHL, that's when we start looking at slotting him in our top 9, and expect an increase in production. Maybe even some special teams time. But for now, low minutes, and slowly bring him along. Make him earn the ice time. It took an offseason for him to go from AHL 4th line to top 10 in scoring, so I think he does have the drive in him. Part of that was knowing the AHL and what to expect. Who knows, our centers suck, if he does well, he could stick. It's a good opportunity for us to see where he is and where he needs to get. I do hope he sticks for 5 weeks (so long as he can) and we ride with some of the "rookie mistakes" we'll see in his stint. If he can't stick, he has a little taste of the NHL and will know what he needs to work on.

I'm high on Barbashev, I think he's better than Thompson and I like Thompson (he's grown on me).

That and we're screwed if he doesn't work out.

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
I hope Barbs runs with this opportunity, i remember everyone being ecstatic when he fell to us on his draft day. We can put Perron on his line for the nostalgia.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If I were looking for comparable blues players, would that be a Backes-lite player? Or a Stastny?

From what I've seen, I would say a taller, heavier and not-quite-as-fast Fabbri. I don't think his IQ or shot are as good as Fabbri's either, but both are above average IMO.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Really excited to see how Barbashev looks out there tonight! Starting on the 4th line should be perfect for him, I hope he plays really well and forces the coaches to move him up in a more offensive role at some point while he's with the Blues.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm really not expecting much in terms of production. I'm not looking for him to light the lamp. That'd be unfair to a 21 year old who is playing his first game and playing on our 4th line.

It's about paying attention to detail and the little things. How's he positioning himself? Supporting his teammates? Does he look overwhelmed physically? Can he skate at this level (not just speed, but edge work and control)? Is he back checking hard? For checking? Making smart plays with the puck? Utilizing his teammates properly? Picking smart shots? In fact, even if he is putting up points, I wouldn't judge him on that. But all of this will take time, at least 10 games to see and if we want a detailed look, more than 10.

If he looks like he belongs, and can check at this level, he'll be just fine. He needs to prove he can be trusted in all 3 zones and can apply the work necessary for the NHL.

When he's acclimated to the NHL, that's when we start looking at slotting him in our top 9, and expect an increase in production. Maybe even some special teams time. But for now, low minutes, and slowly bring him along. Make him earn the ice time. It took an offseason for him to go from AHL 4th line to top 10 in scoring, so I think he does have the drive in him. Part of that was knowing the AHL and what to expect. Who knows, our centers suck, if he does well, he could stick. It's a good opportunity for us to see where he is and where he needs to get. I do hope he sticks for 5 weeks (so long as he can) and we ride with some of the "rookie mistakes" we'll see in his stint. If he can't stick, he has a little taste of the NHL and will know what he needs to work on.

I'm high on Barbashev, I think he's better than Thompson and I like Thompson (he's grown on me).

I wholeheartedly agree with every single word. I was planning on just casually watching the game tonight, but I'll be focused on it 100% now. I'm really curious to see how he looks away from the puck at the NHL level.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I hope Barbs runs with this opportunity, i remember everyone being ecstatic when he fell to us on his draft day. We can put Perron on his line for the nostalgia.

Call up MPS while we're at it and throw him on left wing.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Well said! I completely agree, bring him in slowly, sheltered minutes, get him to concentrate on playing a well rounded game. Hopefully playing on the 4th line will help him learn the defensive aspects of the game, but with opportunities on offense as well. I would be ecstatic if Barbashev became a 3rd, or even 2nd line 2-way center.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Cool I guess. What's the plan? Put him on the 4th line with Upshall and Reaves and tell him to dump and grind then get mad when he doesn't score? The Rattie approach?

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Cool I guess. What's the plan? Put him on the 4th line with Upshall and Reaves and tell him to dump and grind then get mad when he doesn't score? The Rattie approach?

Well it looks like Barbs actually knows how to play in his own end so I'm not sure we can call it the Rattie approach. Let's hope it's more like the Schwartz approach.

Like others have said, I'd be ecstatic if he turns out to be even an average 2nd liner/great 3rd liner for us. If his game looks like it translates to being a 3rd line C, why not let him play on the 4th line with two veterans, who play hard every shift and who are also pretty astute at playing in their own end, to show him the ropes of how to play the defensive side of the puck in the NHL?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

I like the sound of this, we should patent it

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Play with the 2 guys scored the last game? Honestly....what do you want? What if I told you if he looks great out there....its possible....maybe....he gets some shifts with better wingers. That'd be sumtin huh?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Our 4th line has been less of a "dump and grind" line than our 3rd line over the last couple weeks. The 3rd line's entire strategy is dump it in, win a board battle, cycle along the perimeter and eventually generate a chance. It has been pretty darn effective lately, but I don't see how Barbashev gains anything more playing the Berglund role in that unit instead of the Brodziak role on a 4th line that is playing with speed and skill lately.

Upshall is not a grinder and Reaves has become a different player this season. So long as Hitch keeps using the 4th line like he has been the last couple weeks, it is a good spot for Barbashev.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Nah, we're gonna take the Edmonton approach, and put him on a top line based on his junior production alone and then let him get demoralized, start pushing too hard, learn bad habits, get frustrated, and stunt his growth.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I guess I'm just of little faith. I'd like to see him in a spot to exhibit both sound defensive ability and offensive creativity. I wouldn't mind throwing Lehtera on the 4th line and using Perron-Barbecue-Jaskin as the 3rd line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad