GDT: Running Preseason GDT | Game 6 | CBJ @ STL | 8 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
KJ fell apart there at the end but has mostly had a good preseason. I know its preseason but he's on breakout watch to me.

Also Mateychuk needs to make the team and take the top 4 slot from Jiricek...he's ready
Yeah with KJ I think the old boxing adage works well: It's not about how many times you get knocked down, it's about how many times you get back up. For KJ the money is somewhere around #100 or #1000. After that he'll be 'ready'.

This was a very encouraging game for Johnson in my opinion, he didn't put it together at the end but he tried, failed, and looked good doing so.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Love the way this team is playing, notably better overall team play and structure.
This team is going to be fun to watch this season.
Again preseason but something I noticed so far...extremely aggressive compared to last year...even happy Marchy looks like hes out for blood sometimes...might not get the wins but play like this and season I will be happy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No wonder KJ looked gassed there at the end...he had over 20 minutes of Ice time tonight. He's gonna end up on that first line by thankgiving at this point.

I think he might play on that line just because he's by far our top playmaker. But running out of gas about 18-19 minutes into the game runs the other way, meaning I think Dean might be less inclined to double shift him late in the game when the games actually count.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I liked the push in the third. The second period was a bit ugly. The Caps stepped up and played heavy and we got pushed around. I also felt like we were missing some speed up front. Without Fantilli and Chinakhov you can really feel the lack of speed in the lineup. Our top line is too slow. I hope they're just easing in because I don't like the way they play as a trio.

Overall good pushback in the third and I love how so many plays naturally flowed through KJ, even though he lost his focus in the end.

Obviously Mateychuk is an NHL caliber guy at this point, possibly one of our best players. I don't see how you can leave him out.

Christiansen isn't as clean but he's a very dangerous skilled scorer. I really hope we don't waive him.

Brindley I would like to keep but I'm not sure if it matters if he gets sent to the AHL. He would help our speed though. Some of our lines have too many slugs.

The less said about Severson's game tonight the better. Werenski looks great, he's got to be a terror to play against.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think he might play on that line just because he's by far our top playmaker. But running out of gas about 18-19 minutes into the game runs the other way, meaning I think Dean might be less inclined to double shift him late in the game when the games actually count.
The best way to get the conditioning in those situations is to actually do it.

Reactions: Doggy and thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Obviously Mateychuk is an NHL caliber guy at this point, possibly one of our best players. I don't see how you can leave him out.
You absolutely can leave him out if the goal is to be patient with his development and try to make him as valuable and well-rounded as possible. I agree with many of you that he's looked better than some of our top-6 D but for me it's not a sufficient argument for skipping AHL at the start.

I don't think every important aspect of his potential and readiness can evaluated from a few AHL games and NHL preseason. How is he going to handle the physicality of NHL, has some of the defensive details like pass blocking ability and PK skills really improved enough, is there still room for improvement in puck skills... since I don't have answers to these questions I don't see any reason to rush him.

Christiansen isn't as clean but he's a very dangerous skilled scorer. I really hope we don't waive him.
Keeping him with CBJ should be a no brainer.

Brindley I would like to keep but I'm not sure if it matters if he gets sent to the AHL. He would help our speed though. Some of our lines have too many slugs.
I thought he had a bit of an off-game by his standards, which may have ruined his chances if he even had a true opportunity in the first place. Doesn't seem to be in a position where he can afford to lose a couple of puck battles and look less effective to win a spot on the team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You absolutely can leave him out if the goal is to be patient with his development and try to make him as valuable and well-rounded as possible. I agree with many of you that he's looked better than some of our top-6 D but for me it's not a sufficient argument for skipping AHL at the start.

No I legitimately expect that Mateychuk is an above average NHL player at this point, not just an above average Jacket. I don't see anything in his game that is better handled in the AHL.

I don't think every important aspect of his potential and readiness can evaluated from a few AHL games and NHL preseason. How is he going to handle the physicality of NHL, has some of the defensive details like pass blocking ability and PK skills really improved enough, is there still room for improvement in puck skills... since I don't have answers to these questions I don't see any reason to rush him.

Sounds like you would have to see him in some NHL games to find out.

Reactions: LJ7 and thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
No I legitimately expect that Mateychuk is an above average NHL player at this point, not just an above average Jacket. I don't see anything in his game that is better handled in the AHL.

Sounds like you would have to see him in some NHL games to find out.
So far he hasn't been put very often in situations where some of his less impressive abilities have become visible.

I would watch him absorbing hits, killing penalties, creating scoring chances and defending odd man rushes for 20+ AHL games, and if everything is looking good then call him up.

Reactions: Doggy and Viqsi

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Keeping him with CBJ should be a no brainer.

I thought he had a bit of an off-game by his standards, which may have ruined his chances if he even had a true opportunity in the first place. Doesn't seem to be in a position where he can afford to lose a couple of puck battles and look less effective to win a spot on the team.
Werenski seemed to turn out okay and he has about as much AHL experience as Mateychuk.

Reactions: LJ7

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It’s funny as that’s the way we expected to feel about Jiricek but Mateychuk truly looks like the real deal.
I've been on the Mateychuk bandwagon since day one ... Jiricek I'm convinced he's a longer term project.

In fact, of the handful of items that DIDN'T get destroyed by Hurricane Helene ... my practice worn Mateychuk jersey somehow made it through.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
When we drafted Mateychuk, the knocks on him were a weak shot and there was something about his skating, which I thought was weird at the time.

But anyways, yeah, neither of those things are weaknesses anymore.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
As a grumpy czech dude i must admit Mateychuk looks much better than 'Slurms MacKenzie' Jiricek. His skating is keeping him from reaching his full potential and i have doubts he will ever improve at this point, he needs to forget eveything and learn to do it properly again.

Reactions: Monk

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And Josh Morrissey for instance, who might be a better comp anyway, played his first full season in the NHL at 21 (D+4).
And Reilly played at 19. I don't think there is a right answer for everyone. Sometimes it's as simple as they need to get into action and show how ready they are

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad