GDT: Running Preseason GDT | Game 2 09/25/24 | STL @ CBJ | 7 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Let me start by saying I didn’t think they would win but see some players play structurely better.

BTW - Sillinger, Ceulemans, multiple bad players

Sillinger puck watching multiple times in front of his own net, missed clearing attempts, misses the net from a slot shot

Ceulemans multiple penalties and not good on defense. Shouldn’t make the big club

Few bright spots other than Olivier.

Even the announcers said “Columbus always wants to play a fast in your face hockey but where will the scoring come from?? They don’t have any of that talent and hoping a lot of young guys hit. Same Team different head coach”

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
That hardly seems like a fair matchup - Sabres icing most of their NHL lineup.

The Columbus kids didn't really stand a chance.

Looks like Buffalo want to win the pre-season President's trophy :laugh:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
That hardly seems like a fair matchup - Sabres icing most of their NHL lineup.

The Columbus kids didn't really stand a chance.

Looks like Buffalo want to win the pre-season President's trophy :laugh:
We only have 3 pre-season games total for our main guys before they head to Prague. So we don't really have enough time to mess around with our AHL players. Don't worry, on the 28th you guys will essentially be playing against a team with 0 NHL players on it.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
We only have 3 pre-season games total for our main guys before they head to Prague. So we don't really have enough time to mess around with our AHL players. Don't worry, on the 28th you guys will essentially be playing against a team with 0 NHL players on it.
I'm not a Blue Jackets fan - just a busybody who was checking the preseason games and saw the mismatch!

Caps fan so I wanted to see if Malenstyn and Aube-Kubel were on the Sabres roster tonight and how they played.

(I do wish good things for the Blue Jackets though - they've had a lot of shitty things happen to the franchise)

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I’ve learned not to take anything at all from preseason after 2015 (?) when Saad-Johansen-Foligno led the entire NHL in preseason scoring only for them to get broken up in game 4 in the regular season.

I don’t need the preseason to know we’re going suck.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I'm not a Blue Jackets fan - just a busybody who was checking the preseason games and saw the mismatch!

Caps fan so I wanted to see if Malenstyn and Aube-Kubel were on the Sabres roster tonight and how they played.

(I do wish good things for the Blue Jackets though - they've had a lot of shitty things happen to the franchise)
in the admittedly small sample size of two pre-season games so far, the fan base loves these guys.

Reactions: PlushMinus

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Preseason's just a warmup and for young/fringe players work hard to maybe make the team.
Exactly, they want to see how certain kids handle different situations and use it as a gauge to see how far along they are.

If a guy like LDBB(just as an example)puts up like 10 pts in 5 games, he's probably getting a look in the NHL, otherwise it's just giving the kids extended looks so they can give them an evaluation on that they need to work on before sending them back to their teams.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Based on this game Svozil should be AHL bound. Speed, strength and compete still aren't quite at the level I'd want them to be.

Jiricek didn't have that many defensive gaffes and again he showed he can create offense in a way a lot of Jackets D aren't able to do, but the skating flaws, occasional bad reads and lack of strength are still there for everyone to see. Maybe best to have him in the bottom pair or as 7D to start the year or just send him to Cleveland.

JJ seemed to be in a surprisingly good steam at 37 but he shouldn't be more than 7D/3LD. I liked Harris' defensive reads and puck management a bit more so I would have him higher in the lineup, I can see him play at either 2RD, 3LD or 3RD.

Ceulemans to AHL and Elick to WHL, and no one's disagreeing I'd guess.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah that's exactly why I was disappointed. :laugh:

The org is trying to manifest some of these kids into NHLers when they just don't have it yet.
As an anecdote to this, I ended up watching Montreal play against the Flyers' B team, and Montreal had a couple of prospects who really caught the eye: Lane Hutson and Oliver Kapanen. Hutson was making moves left and right (literally a couple of times, haha). For a #62 pick, wow that is a steal, he's gonna be dangerous in the league very very soon. Kapanen was also very magnetic, weaved through defenses with some passes, set up a couple of goals. Those two can probably play in the NHL right now if they put up a show like this against a B squad.

I don't think anybody on the Jackets quite had that impact yet. We'll see more against the other Buffalo squad I guess, that will be an opportunity to shine against lower opposition.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As an anecdote to this, I ended up watching Montreal play against the Flyers' B team, and Montreal had a couple of prospects who really caught the eye: Lane Hutson and Oliver Kapanen. Hutson was making moves left and right (literally a couple of times, haha). For a #62 pick, wow that is a steal, he's gonna be dangerous in the league very very soon. Kapanen was also very magnetic, weaved through defenses with some passes, set up a couple of goals. Those two can probably play in the NHL right now if they put up a show like this against a B squad.

I don't think anybody on the Jackets quite had that impact yet. We'll see more against the other Buffalo squad I guess, that will be an opportunity to shine against lower opposition.

I'm bullish on Mateychuk and Brindley. It's Sillinger and Jiricek that I wasn't happy with yesterday.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Man...it's going to be an even longer season than I thought given the responses on here to the first preseason game. Seriously, there were two players with more than one year NHL experience and 7 players with over 40 NHL games played. This was nothing more than ice time in a game setting after 4 days of hard practice. There is absolutely nothing...nothing... to take away from this game or the next 1-3. Until there are actual NHL players in a pair, in a line, in a unit there is very little to glean from this. Sure, an individual good or bad play here or there that is easily recognized but event a bad play may only be "bad" given the rest around you.

I am so excited to read this forum this year... and it's only started. ugh

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Man...it's going to be an even longer season than I thought given the responses on here to the first preseason game. Seriously, there were two players with more than one year NHL experience and 7 players with over 40 NHL games played. This was nothing more than ice time in a game setting after 4 days of hard practice. There is absolutely nothing...nothing... to take away from this game or the next 1-3. Until there are actual NHL players in a pair, in a line, in a unit there is very little to glean from this. Sure, an individual good or bad play here or there that is easily recognized but event a bad play may only be "bad" given the rest around you.

I am so excited to read this forum this year... and it's only started. ugh
Yeah, but imagine the reactions had the CBJ won 6-1.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe I’m apart of the doomsday poster crowd. After all, I did say I think we’re going to be terrible. But I also said not to take anything away from preseason games. So who knows.

i think the Johnny tragedy has made a lot of people go from questioning how good/bad we’d be to just expecting it to be as bad as possible. He was the best player on an already bad team, so naturally people are going to say it’s going to be even worse. I don’t think that’s a stretch either.

I’m obviously going to watch and give them a chance, I am still excited to see how the young guys develop (Fantilli especially), but I can’t exactly say the doomsday predictions are totally out of merit either.

But we are a message board of fans. I hope people enjoy posting here. I hope it’s a good community for all to feel welcome. I will do my best as an individual to make it as enjoyable as I can for others to interact with. This place is supposed to be “fun” or engaging.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Who are these doomsday posters?

If preseason games are totally meaningless, why do we have a thread for them?

Also would like to know what should those people be called who every year seem busy to make fun of the "overreacting doomsday crowd"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad