Waived: Rundblad

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I wonder if we loaned him to Europe this year as a favor so he will terminate his contract next summer? If he is not willing to do that then I would park him in Indy where we loaned thropp and let him spend the year there? If he knows that then he might terminate it.

Have you ever worked for a company that railroads somebody like that? I have. It affects way more than the guy getting railroaded.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
That is like saying an employee that I not happy with at work at important job A (paid highly) I should just tell him to stay home instead of having him come to work and pay him job A money to work and mundane job B? That also sends a message that if you cannot cut it at job A we will make sure you are happy and fully paid? Whats the incentive when you sign the contract to not just milk the company? I think it goes both ways and its also in bladder's best interest to go play everyday in EURO to get his value back up because that is where he is going to play after the hawks contract is done. He would be unhappy in Indy and would hurt his future value. GOTO Europe now, play well and get a new contract and terminate hawks deal or goto Indy play out the 2 years and hate and play poorly and then get 1year $200K deal in Europe. there needs to be something that works in the best interests of both parties.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That is like saying an employee that I not happy with at work at important job A (paid highly) I should just tell him to stay home instead of having him come to work and pay him job A money to work and mundane job B? That also sends a message that if you cannot cut it at job A we will make sure you are happy and fully paid? Whats the incentive when you sign the contract to not just milk the company? I think it goes both ways and its also in bladder's best interest to go play everyday in EURO to get his value back up because that is where he is going to play after the hawks contract is done. He would be unhappy in Indy and would hurt his future value. GOTO Europe now, play well and get a new contract and terminate hawks deal or goto Indy play out the 2 years and hate and play poorly and then get 1year $200K deal in Europe. there needs to be something that works in the best interests of both parties.

That is not the case at all. You don't treat players that way. You have to honor the contract. We are not talking about a player is just mailing it in (BWC thinks differently I am sure) instead we are talking about a player who signed a deal and has not developed into the deal. Good luck signing anyone after this on good faith deals. Players talk.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

In this scenario the onus would be on you to not sign an employee to a high paying contract who can't do the job. Yea, you could bury your chief of marketing or whatever and have him make 950k to work the plant floor if that's in the contract and he wants to get that money but good luck attracting the type of talent that's worth those sorts of dollars if that's how you plan on doing business.

It's in Rundblad's best interest to earn a million dollars per this year and next. He's not getting another contract that big. These guys aren't robots, management can't treat players like they're disposable. People talk, they've got friends all over various leagues. We're talking a talent pool that is .00001% of the planet.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Send him to Rockford? What is the advantage from the hawks standpoint of sending him to EURO. the only one I can find is runblad wanted it. So you think players under contract should tell GM's where they want to play and the GM should be OK with that.

What happens when a CFO is let go is there is a buyout. IE something like you are paid 1/2 your salary and are let out of your contract. It is rare for a person to be sent home by there employer and paid full salary to do nothing for 2 years.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Its the GMs fault for offering the contract.
Think of it as a PR move. Instead of public reputation, its about free agent reputation.

This is why guys are willing to come to Chicago because they are treated very well.
I don't know how you don't understand this. And unless you are a huge Icehogs and Rundblad fan, I don't really see why it even matters

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Send him to Rockford? What is the advantage from the hawks standpoint of sending him to EURO. the only one I can find is runblad wanted it. So you think players under contract should tell GM's where they want to play and the GM should be OK with that.

What happens when a CFO is let go is there is a buyout. IE something like you are paid 1/2 your salary and are let out of your contract. It is rare for a person to be sent home by there employer and paid full salary to do nothing for 2 years.

We don't want him in Rockford because we want our young d to keep getting all the minutes.

CEO/CFO if in the US are typically not on contracts. Most are at-will employees. Not sure about Canada but CEOs/CFOs get full salary and severance when they are let go (unless they do something illegal). I know about this first hand because my father received 2 years severance when he left the company he was at. This is called a golden parachute and it happens a majority of the time.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

If he would rather be in Europe than the AHL, let him. You also may not want to mix up against the chemistry of adding another player you don't see a future in getting decent icetime in on the Icehogs. Especially as they're playing well lately and doingso defensively. They already have a guy like Schilling & Grotovets as team presence no nhl future guys. Let Pokka/Svedberg & some of the other Indy bouncer young guys get their time.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

It's also rare for people to sign guaranteed million dollar contracts to play hockey. You can't compare the two 100%.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The benefit is good will. It's part of why Desi left money on the table. Why Panarin chose Chicago.

It's relatively small potatoes that can go a long way.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
if he has been told that he does not have a future with the club, has cleared waivers and basically nobody else wants him in the NHL......then I don't see the big deal in fulfilling a wish to go to Europe to play and not take up a spot in Rockford.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
He's been a good sport and the cap hit's the same, so the Hawks did him a solid and let him play in a league he'd prefer to play in. Who cares?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hawks want Rundblad to get icetime
Rundblad wants to Play
Hawks don't want Rundblad on the NHL roster

Hawks and Rundblad have a contract and Rundblad won't get that amount of Money elsewhere

Hawks will not ask him to terminate the contract and will just sit it out. He may get traded, may Play in the AHL or get loaned to europe again.
That's the Options.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
I wonder if we loaned him to Europe this year as a favor so he will terminate his contract next summer? If he is not willing to do that then I would park him in Indy where we loaned thropp and let him spend the year there? If he knows that then he might terminate it.

It doesn't matter where we loan him, the Hawks still have to pay him and still take a small cap hit. So instead of keeping him happy and keeping a good image with foreign players, you would rather be petty and tarnish the team's reputation with foreign players?

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
7 points in 6 games, guess Europe/big ice is the only way he can play like his breakout year. So sad he is turning 26 this year. i Always thought he would turn out just like John Klingberg did, mega poised risk taking offensive D, with decent defense. Probably done in NA

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
7 points in 6 games, guess Europe/big ice is the only way he can play like his breakout year. So sad he is turning 26 this year. i Always thought he would turn out just like John Klingberg did, mega poised risk taking offensive D, with decent defense. Probably done in NA

I don't think he should have ever been a defensemen. The guy freezes up under pressure. Obviously, he made the NHL as a defensemen (which is a major accomplishment) ... but his career might haven been better served if he moved to forward in his junior days. Someone must have saw how he reacted when opponents pressed him.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Some people simply are not NHL'ers. Many, in fact. It's that simple. He is among that crowd, and in the grand scheme of life there's nothing wrong with that. He's still good enough to make a great living doing something he loves. Moving him to forward would not have made any difference other than maybe keeping him from ever having an NHL sniff in the first place, in my opinion. He's just not an NHL player. Period.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013

Actually its 9 points in 7 regular season games, playoffs start in a couple of weeks. And he also has 2 points in 2 games in the national swiss cup, including a GWG in the final, bringing the cup to zurich.

He probably won't leave europe again.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He is a supremely talented player who's skating did not catch up like teams hoped. IF his skating caught up he would be a stud. Yes he doesn't like getting hit but better skating would help him avoid that. Disappointing that he did not develop. Best of luck to him in Europe.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He is a supremely talented player who's skating did not catch up like teams hoped. IF his skating caught up he would be a stud. Yes he doesn't like getting hit but better skating would help him avoid that. Disappointing that he did not develop. Best of luck to him in Europe.

Absolutely nonsense

His hockey IQ in defensive zone was non-existent and frankly his offensive abilities were vastly overrated and showed very little at NHL level

STC

Oct 29, 2012
He sucked and will always suck. Why does this thread even exist anymore?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Absolutely nonsense

His hockey IQ in defensive zone was non-existent and frankly his offensive abilities were vastly overrated and showed very little at NHL level

Everyone has the right to post but you really have issue understanding the basic concepts of hockey and this is just another example of this. His offensive skill are top level, his ability to shoot, see the offensive zone and make reads, and passing were all high level talent. His lack of skating and defense were his downfall. Not once did I say he would be great on D but if he could skate his offense would have been good enough to make up for his d. He can make a solid first pass and IF he could skate better it would have fixed some of his defensive issues.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
It would be awesome if he could play out the season and gain confidence and put up numbers so some team will take a gamble on him.
He did always play better when he actually got the chance to play. But I can't argue with him not being here right now. Our D is pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad