Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
“Playoff competitive team.” :laugh:

Just 17 points out.

just-a-bit-outside.gif

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I read something on facebook about 40 million for Bouchard, Draisaitl and Mcdavid which is malarkey but not far off........

I imagine it will be something like..

Mcdavid 15 million per
Draisaitl 12.5 million per
Bouchard 8.5 to 9.5 million per.
I wonder if McDavid might even come in lower than that. The most recent comparables are Mackinnon at $12.6 and Matthews at $13.25 but for 4 years (presumably the number would be cheaper if he added another 4 years in his 30s). McDavid is obviously better than either of those players, but I could also see him wanting to take less to win. If we sign him to an 8-year deal it would be for his 29-37 year old years. Would $13.5ish be that crazy, with the idea that his value dips around age 35?

Flipside, I think your Bouchard number might be a little low. We bridged him too many times (like Nurse), and now he can file for arbitration and walk himself to UFA. He is using UFA contracts as his comparables, not RFAs. Plus I expect his agent will argue that there is no universe in which his client should be paid less than Nurse. $10 million for Bouch.

Reactions: Captain Controversy

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
With the Sharks adding Goodrow, Dellandrea, Smith and Celebrini up front already they’re getting crowded, I really wonder if we take a look at bringing Kostin back in on the cheap.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The Sharks doing the Rangers a favor lol.

The kind of move that fans hate. And Grier will take a lot of heat for it.

But I like it. He's a fan favorite, locker room leader type forward that can probably step into a bigger role in SJ. A guy you give a letter to.

And down the line when his contract tolls, they can easily retain and get a decent asset back for the exact type of playoff player that teams fall over themselves to acquire at the deadline.

If they waited for the buyout, odds are Goodrow wasn't signing back in San Jose. He was going to a contender.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
People gripe about the Oilers making trades and signings without consulting analytics. Aren’t the Canucks under Rutherford / Allvin praised for their use of analytics? Guess not this time. What a shame

Traded a first for Hronek. Had to double down on it.

To be fair, finding RD is brutal but will be interesting to see how this contract ages. Guy was brutal against Edmonton in the playoffs, so I don’t mind it.

The Sharks doing the Rangers a favor lol.

Grier has to be the worst GM in the league. Just makes bad decision time and time again.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The kind of move that fans hate. And Grier will take a lot of heat for it.

But I like it. He's a fan favorite, locker room leader type forward that can probably step into a bigger role in SJ. A guy you give a letter to.

And when done if his contract tolls, they can easily retain and get a decent asset back for the exact type of playoff player that teams fall over themselves to acquire at the deadline.

If they waited for the buyout, odds are Goodrow wasn't signing back in San Jose. He was going to a contender.
Sure and he started in SJ, I get it, still doing the Rangers a favor. Probably would have been better to "trade" for him and get an asset as part of it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
CP is going on about this actually. There was a poster that was saying at least this will stop some of the Oiler chatter in the media

Bunch of weirdos

Hilarious.

"HA JOKES ON THEM! WHILE THEY'RE PLAYING FOR THE STANLEY CUP, EVERYONE IS PAYING ATTENTION TO THE FLAMES DISMANTLING WHATS REMAINING OF OUR SHITTY ROSTER!!!!"

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Traded a first for Hronek. Had to double down on it.

To be fair, finding RD is brutal but will be interesting to see how this contract ages. Guy was brutal against Edmonton in the playoffs, so I don’t mind it.

Grier has to be the worst GM in the league. Just makes bad decision time and time again.

I don't really understand, why is everyone bagging Grier for the Goodrow claim?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't really understand, why is everyone bagging Grier for the Goodrow claim?

Its a bad contract.

I don’t think its a bad move necessarily as a single event. But for a team that has a poor foundation of prospects, I think there are better ways to leverage your cap space. Just seems like he sucks at his job to me.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Taking Goodrow like that is insanity. Lmao. Grier once again showing why he is the laughing stock of current GM's. If Celebrini's father wasn't working for Golden State, he would be rejecting to sign there.

Reactions: McDoused

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Because he’s overpaid for 3 years and they probably could have got him + at least a pick if they waited until he cleared.

or they could have signed him for cheaper after a he’s bought out.
Yeah but if he's bought out, and can sign anywhere he wants for cheap, why would he go to SJ? They clearly wanted a good vet mentor. Similar to what Chicago is doing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad