Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Unless Nurse demands a trade, he’s not going anywhere. #1 priority is finding a RHD that can babysit our 9.25M LHD…as ridiculous as that sounds.
I would pray he accepts being moved to another club out on the west coast or something. Feels like if you truly care about this group you would realize how badly you're f***ing our chances at building a great team here, move out to one of the pacific beaches and raise your family for a few years.

Duncan Keith gave up 5.5 million dollars because he knew he was a burden. Maybe he got paid off in other ways outside of the NHL but let's not forget how integral and selfless that was of Keith. He was there last night telling the group in the dressing room about how they went down 0-3 against Vancouver one year and clawed back to go to overtime in game 7.

You move Nurse and as many picks/prospects as necessary to get him out with that cap space saved, then bank on free agents wanting to sign here for a Cup run.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I would pray he accepts being moved to another club out on the west coast or something. Feels like if you truly care about this group you would realize how badly you're f***ing our chances at building a great team here, move out to one of the pacific beaches and raise your family for a few years.

Duncan Keith gave up 5.5 million dollars because he knew he was a burden. Maybe he got paid off in other ways outside of the NHL but let's not forget how integral and selfless that was of Keith. He was there last night telling the group in the dressing room about how they went down 0-3 against Vancouver one year and clawed back to go to overtime in game 7.

You move Nurse and as many picks/prospects as necessary to get him out with that cap space saved, then bank on free agents wanting to sign here for a Cup run.
I hope Utah is a place he would go. They literally have zero D

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Good news on the extension front. Getting them all back would be a good consolation prize if we fall short this year. Franks thinking:

16M McD
14M Drai
10M Bouch

Adds “there’s no other place where McDrai can play together.”

That core will produce for a long time. We can work with that plus Nuge plus Hyman plus Ekholm plus emerging Broberg.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
*Broberg has entered the chat*
Haha, Broberg isn’t good enough to cover for Nurse.

He’s not leaving. Keith wasn’t surrounded by his buddies and was in the twilight of his career and had multiple cups, there’s no comparison.

Reactions: McDoused

cruisecity

May 24, 2024

He’s not leaving. Keith wasn’t surrounded by his buddies and was in the twilight of his career and had multiple cups, there’s no comparison.
Some men aren't equipped to handle the pressure, no shame in that. Maybe he has a long discussion with his wife and they opt to raise their kids on the beach away from media pressure. Many NHL players have the same discussion and make the same decision. It's by no means uncommon. To say it's out of the realm of possibility would be silly in my opinion.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Good news on the extension front. Getting them all back would be a good consolation prize if we fall short this year. Franks thinking:

16M McD
14M Drai
10M Bouch

Adds “there’s no other place where McDrai can play together.”

That core will produce for a long time. We can work with that plus Nuge plus Hyman plus Ekholm plus emerging Broberg.
I think it will be less then 40 million but not my much, maybe 38 million for the 3 of them.

Not yet but he will be. He'll be our top LD in 2 more years, then we'll have to find a new babysitter for Nurse.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Some men aren't equipped to handle the pressure, no shame in that. Maybe he has a long discussion with his wife and they opt to raise their kids on the beach away from media pressure. Many NHL players have the same discussion and make the same decision. It's by no means uncommon. To say it's out of the realm of possibility would be silly in my opinion.
Personally I think Nurse is equipped to deal with pressure. His Dad was a professional athlete and uncle one of the most unfairly polarizing football players in a crazy mad market that makes Edmonton seem like a frontier town.

We also saw all his Oilers teammates to a man step up to defend Nurse's character and importance as a teammate. With full exposure to this person, they view his value to their team and shared goal of winning through a different lens than fans.

He could ultimately decide he's had enough in Edmonton but Nurse is not going to settle for a rebuild beach team like San Jose. It will have to be somewhere where there is strong upward mobility and quickly to become a winning franchise. Competition is a fundamental of this guy's DNA. That's limiting. But Utah is a special circumstance where this is final a team on cusp of taking a jump with ownership ready to invest to do so and a new market with no pre-existing prejudices about players and contracts.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Personally I think Nurse is equipped to deal with pressure. His Dad was a professional athlete and uncle one of the most unfairly polarizing football players in a crazy mad market that makes Edmonton seem like a frontier town.

We also saw all his Oilers teammates to a man step up to defend Nurse's character and importance as a teammate. With full exposure to this person, they view his value to their team and shared goal of winning through a different lens than fans.

He could ultimately decide he's had enough in Edmonton but Nurse is not going to settle for a rebuild beach team like San Jose. It will have to be somewhere where there is strong upward mobility and quickly to become a winning franchise. Competition is a fundamental of this guy's DNA. That's limiting. But Utah is a special circumstance where this is final a team on cusp of taking a jump with ownership ready to invest to do so and a new market with no pre-existing prejudices about players and contracts.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, genetics be damned. For him to go from being serviceable to an outright liability is in his head. It's not as though he is labouring out there, the consistent brain farts only become more apparent in the playoffs. Performing worse and worse as the series get tighter and the energy and buzz in the town grows. We know he has the physical tools to be a star, he has shown in the past he can be a great #2-#3 guy in the NHL. I believe he simply can't hang.

I would look at all of his teammates defending him through hell or high water as a last ditch effort to protect his mental wellbeing. The conversation is only being had in the first place because he is faltering constantly.

edit: Will mention of course the hit he took by Rodrigues that did do some damage two games ago has surely made it even more difficult. Before then he was fully healthy and faltering endlessly on routine plays. The roar of the crowd may scare him. He only got worse as the playoffs wore on in Sault Ste Marie as well, I watched their entire playoffs up til McDavid eliminated them. Similar thing at the time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, genetics be damned. For him to go from being serviceable to an outright liability is in his head. It's not as though he is labouring out there, the consistent brain farts only become more apparent in the playoffs. Performing worse and worse as the series get tighter and the energy and buzz in the town grows. We know he has the physical tools to be a star, he has shown in the past he can be a great #2-#3 guy in the NHL. I believe he simply can't hang.

I would look at all of his teammates defending him through hell or high water as a last ditch effort to protect his mental wellbeing. The conversation is only being had in the first place because he is faltering constantly.

edit: Will mention of course the hit he took by Rodrigues that did do some damage two games ago has surely made it even more difficult. Before then he was fully healthy and faltering endlessly on routine plays. The roar of the crowd may scare him. He only got worse as the playoffs wore on in Sault Ste Marie as well, I watched their entire playoffs up til McDavid eliminated them. Similar thing at the time.
It's nature and nurture. He's gifted athletically and grew up in an elite athletic environment that thrived on high level competition.

He's a player that can play a great game and piss it a way in a moment with egregious mistakes. Totally frustrating. Tries to do too much, slips into impulsive decision making, and over aggressive split decisions that are crushing. Very tough playoff where these poor tendencies have been badly exposed.

I'm not defending Nurse but believe he's tough enough to stick in Edmonton on this team if that's what he (and his teammates want as part of their team's success) but moreso if he opts to move it won't be to shy away from a leadership role on a competitive team. It won't be to mail it in on a non-contender in a soft, no care hockey environment.

EDIT: Want to add that aside from taking all the money on the table with his deal that's now becoming a lightning rod, the other major factor to me was leaning out when the game moved away from hard, physical net front defending to d as puck movers. He lost a vital attribute of physical intimidation and ability to win battles to a player I don't recognize often losing puck and board battles.

Where you mention the Soo, he was also an elite top pair shutdown in the world U20 tournament most notably in the Gold Medal game against Russia. And we saw him have an elite playoff series against Winnipeg in a coin flip series. Trouble starts when he tries to do to much and rebuffs the structure requirement of team play. Add another chaos partner like Ceci and well we see what happens.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It's really not that complicated. Nurse is a good player who eats a lot of minutes and brings a lot to the team during the regular season. However as things tighten up, competition gets harder and players are expected to elevate, Nurse fails to deliver.

We are kinda stuck with Nurse. He needs more confidence and a partner that unlocks him to play his game. This is why adding a capable top 4 RHD is so important this offseason. Hopefully we will get two dmen for the price of one, just like how Ekholm unlocked Bouchard. I mean probably to a lesser degree but Nurse has really struggled to find his role on this team without playing with McDavid.

The last thing Edmonton should do is blow up the team. You can't get rid of the baby with the bath water.

Reactions: Faelko

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Anything is possible but it’s extremely unlikely. Even if he did ask to be traded he’d control where he’d go and what contender is taking on that contract?

There’s just no way Nurse goes full Gaudreau and disappears into NHL obscurity. He wants to win as bad as the rest of them. I’d be shocked (but happy..😆) if he asked to go to SJ or Anaheim.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It's really not that complicated. Nurse is a good player who eats a lot of minutes and brings a lot to the team during the regular season. However as things tighten up, competition gets harder and players are expected to elevate, Nurse fails to deliver.

We are kinda stuck with Nurse. He needs more confidence and a partner that unlocks him to play his game. This is why adding a capable top 4 RHD is so important this offseason. Hopefully we will get two dmen for the price of one, just like how Ekholm unlocked Bouchard. I mean probably to a lesser degree but Nurse has really struggled to find his role on this team without playing with McDavid.

The last thing Edmonton should do is blow up the team. You can't get rid of the baby with the bath water.
They aren't gonna blow it up. But this series has told them who the can win with and who they can't. Valuable exercise win or lose.

Reactions: McDoused

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If you can't understand the difference, then I see your point.
I’m not going to get into a tail chasing discussion on it…you’re giving them a blank signed cheque, and I’m saying if you want to build a competitive team that doesn’t need to rely on 16 game win streaks to get into the playoff picture, then they need to leave some in the table and not max out to be a perennial cup threat. Toronto has a lot of money tied up in four guys. Good regular season team, can’t do shit in the playoffs. They’ve had no money to acquire decent middle and bottom pair d-men and a decent goalie, which should sound pretty familiar.

It’s not uncommon for players to take that discount to keep a competitive team, the Sedins did it as well as many others. If it pisses of the NHLPA, well…f*** ‘em.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine