Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Holloway has so far this playoffs proven that he belongs with Draisaitl.

There has been A LOT to like about the Holloway - Draisaitl - Kane line. Holloway may just be the budget-friendly player we needed to break through to aid our cap issues next season.

I think you try and resign Henrique, if he is willing, as a responsible player to mix in and out of the top 6/9.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So you’re saying the plan should be “don’t plan until the last possible moment?”. Yep, sounds reasonable. Other teams are always willing to help out when they know your backs against the wall and have to sign a franchise player before he becomes a UFA. That always works out
I am saying that, just because sometimes these problems solve themselves. We could spend the assets to move Kane and go through all the hardship with dragging that out. That is perhaps smart because we will be hurting for cap space in 2025-2026. His value may be at an all time high after these playoffs.

However, maybe the problem will solve itself by then. For all we know Kane will be on LTIR for the last bit. His NTC also loosens up that year. The buyout cost also gets kinder if we wait. Also, maybe he will still be good

Reactions: CycloneSweep

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Any possibility of unloading Campbell to Utah for less than it would be to another club? 2nd rounder lets say?

Nvm always forget that it's not an expansion.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
100% agree, kane got tossed over the boards by zadorov, what did he do after? he ran zadorov every single chance he got and never shyed away from teh big bad russian bully. the team need what kane brings and kane brings his intensity up as the heat turns up. that swagger makes everyone around him bigger and tougher. you cant get rid of kane without a replacement that does what he does. and we dont have that and there arent many available
When you're knocking names around like Scott Laughton or Boone Jenner on the trade market as viable targets in the coming year, I'd argue there's hope of filling that need for the vocal physical playoff presence. Logic would suggest that McLeod would be part of the package that acquires that quasi-third line pivot.

Having Kane on your roster limits the team's flexibility to make those kinds of larger adds without having to pay a premium to have a team facilitate that deal financially.

I know it isn't popular to suggest, especially in the middle of a playoff run where his game is s significant asset. But logically, this team needs to find ways to improve year over year. And it's difficult to do that if you're team is sitting at the cap ceiling from day one.

Reactions: foshizzle

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
When you're knocking names around like Scott Laughton or Boone Jenner on the trade market as viable targets in the coming year, I'd argue there's hope of filling that need for the vocal physical playoff presence. Logic would suggest that McLeod would be part of the package that acquires that quasi-third line pivot.

Having Kane on your roster limits the team's flexibility to make those kinds of larger adds without having to pay a premium to have a team facilitate that deal financially.

I know it isn't popular to suggest, especially in the middle of a playoff run where his game is s significant asset. But logically, this team needs to find ways to improve year over year. And it's difficult to do that if you're team is sitting at the cap ceiling from day one.
Unless there's some significant internal issues we're not privy to, I think it highly unlikely a peak window team flushes out a consistent 20 goal power forward who is also delivering in hard, tight physical post season competition.

Laughton is not the same player type. The window to trade for him was likely this past trade deadline before the Oilers opted to use their 1st on Henrique (and Carrick). Oil will not have the trade collateral to be in on Boone Jenner and quite likely use their limited assets to finally address top 4RD (which sounds like was priority 1 this past deadline). Kane has two year on his deal and most likely to be an Oiler as they fire through winning window with certainty in place around its veteran core group. Shave some savings off secondary support players and focus sparse assets to improve the d. Pending how the rest of playoffs pan out, this team may also need goaltending help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Any possibility of unloading Campbell to Utah for less than it would be to another club? 2nd rounder lets say?

If we can move on from Campbell without giving up too much and Nurse is the only overpaid player on the team, we are doing pretty good now and the future

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I think it’s worth being proactive and at least exploring the possibility of moving Kane this summer. Explore interest and value around the league but dealing Kane should only happen to facilitate other deals that improve the team and those trades/signings need to be in place before you move him. I think it would be bad business to move him and just hoping you’ll be able to put that cap to better use with no follow up moves in place.

Between Mcdavid, Drai, Hyman, Nuge, Kane, McLeod, Holloway you have 7 of your top 9. From there you can gauge Henrique interest in returning on a very cheap deal and add a couple more million dollar veteran bottom 6ers and I’d like to see them working in guys like Lavoie, Bourgault, Tullio, Hamblin, Petrov, Grubbe. Have a couple spots on the roster available for these guys to battle over and start working them in the first half of the season, see what you’ve got.

Keep a little space open, accrue during the year and then look to upgrade at the deadline when you’ve got more space and a better idea of the options available and a gauge on who is having a good season.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Don't they sometimes petition to have players added? I feel like that might be what's needed for Gagner.

I think any team can add 2 players without much fuss and maybe more. It changed a while back. Sometimes a player that got moved at at the TDL is added, for example

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Didn't catch this on the broadcast but had seen it floating around the twitter sphere.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Kane's contract is the placeholder for McDavid's raise + replacement winger.

Ceci's contract is placeholder for Bouchards raise + replacement D

We have to get rid of Campbell's contract for Draisaitl raise + replacement goalie.

Kulak will likely be gone to give Desharnais and Holloway some raise., Broberg being the replacement.
I can't see them moving Kulak. He is what they hope Broberg becomes. They will find other ways to trim the payroll.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Contacts that should be shopped ceci kulak Campbell.

Reluctant to shop Kane. Who's someone who can replace his skill set for cheaper? Seems to be a unicorn in the league. A skilled top 6 player that thrived on facing down Zadorov.

There are a lot of 4th line guys like that. Not top 6 players.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Some interesting projections here from AFP. Oilers projections

Henrique 3 x 4.3M
Foegele 3 x 3.9M
Carrick 2 x 1.47M
Desharnais 1 x 1.1M
Janmark 1 x 1M
Thats a hard NO to Henrique and Foegele.
What is this League coming to if Foegele is an example of a $4M player?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I doubt Utah takes Campbell to play him but they could still be part of the equation. They have an insane amount of cap space an an owner who is willing to spend. They have $43M+ in cap space right now plus another $7.8M in LTIR space if needed. They also need NHL defensemen.

To Utah: Cambell $2.5M retained, Ceci, +

Utah buys out Campbell. Thats $4.5M in real money over 6 years and each team carries the following in dead cap:

24-25 $550K
25-26 $1.15M
26-27 $1.3M
27-28 $750K
28-29 $750K
29-30 $750K

I don't think the plus would have to be all that much at 50% retention. It maay even be possible to get them to take him at say 30% retention if they up the plus.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Some interesting projections here from AFP. Oilers projections

Henrique 3 x 4.3M
Foegele 3 x 3.9M
Carrick 2 x 1.47M
Desharnais 1 x 1.1M
Janmark 1 x 1M

giphy.gif

Reactions: guymez and McDoused

Ad