Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: I've Got Nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
But he’s signing here for 8M ;)
for a full 8 years, I could see it.

But what about the long term outlook?

It's not just Nurse we have to worry about. Bear after a bridge deal? Bouchard? Nuge and Larsson? Heck, after 3 seasons of a Hall contract, we'd have to re-sign Klefbom.

It seems like the 'right' move is to use cap savings such as expiring buyout hits to keep what we have. Use young players to fill holes, or bargain contracts.

I'm on board with renting Hall though. If he really catches fire, then give him money and find a way to make it work.

We are just now seeing some light at the end of the tunnel in terms of escaping our dead cap and bad spending. I'd think we'd start being careful

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
FTR, I’ve heard similar with Hall, to the point that his dad flew out last year to meet with Oiler management to discuss possible fit. That was with the Chiarelli regime, however, so things could have changed significantly.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
for a full 8 years, I could see it.

But what about the long term outlook?

It's not just Nurse we have to worry about. Bear after a bridge deal? Bouchard? Nuge and Larsson? Heck, after 3 seasons of a Hall contract, we'd have to re-sign Klefbom.

It seems like the 'right' move is to use cap savings such as expiring buyout hits to keep what we have. Use young players to fill holes, or bargain hits.

I'm on board with renting Hall though. If he really catches fire, then give him money and find a way to make it work.

We are just now seeing some light at the end of the tunnel in terms of escaping our dead cap and bad spending. I'd think we'd start being careful

I’m with you there. We have a lot of players to sign and not sure how Hall will fit long term but it is very enticing. I wouldn’t mind giving Benson and Yamamoto auditions to see what we have in our organization in terms of winger depth before putting all of our eggs in the Hall basket

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
If the cap goes up 2 mill...

Draisaitl - McDavid - Blank
Blank - RNH - Neal
Blank - Blank - Blank
Khaira - Blank - Chiasson
Blank, Blank

Blank - Blank
Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Blank
Blank

Koskinen
Blank

With 25 mill in capspace. Say Hall signs for 10 mill that leaves 15 mill for 12 players. Nurse will cost say at least 6.5, Bear say...3...that leaves us 5.5 mill for 9 players which is actually impossible salary cap wise. So we then have to move out cap. Unless we are planning on filling our entire 3rd line with sub 1 mill players which we don't even do now...
Russell, Benning, and Chiasson would have to be moved out. All doable. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Nygard and Haas, and Benson will no longer be waiver exempt next year, so that’s half your bottom 6 on cheap deals. Add in that with a loaded top 6, the bottom 6 would get max 18 min combined between the two lines. Bear has made the team. Bouchard is going to be on the team next year. Along with Larsson that’s your right side. Nurse and Klefbom are on the team, so you’d need a bottom pairing left dman and a #7. If not Jones and Lagesson, other cheap options. You spend where you need to spend, and you fill out the complimentary pieces with cheap deals. That’s where the league is going.

Reactions: 780il

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Wouldn't it be something if he took a discount to play with the boys. One can dream...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Getting rid of Russell and Chiasson's $6M for next season should be Holland's main goal from here on out, IMO. You can't have that much money spent on dead weight when you're already paying $4.5M in buyouts and retention.

There's basically no chance of getting Hall with those two still on the roster.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Getting rid of Russell and Chiasson's $6M for next season should be Holland's main goal from here on out, IMO. You can't have that much money spent on dead weight when you're already paying $4.5M in buyouts and retention.

There's basically no chance of getting Hall with those two still on the roster.
Agreed. Both should be moveable as well. Russell will only have 1.5 mill salary after his 1 mill signing bonus is paid and will have half the league as options to be traded to.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm looking at Mikael Granlund as a potential 2nd line winger that might come in at a lower cost due to his lack of production in Nashville.

When he was playing his best hockey in Minnesota, he was a 60-70 point guy who played all situations and was capable on the faceoff dot. Was 13th in Selke voting one year.

He and RNH together would be something.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
FTR, I’ve heard similar with Hall, to the point that his dad flew out last year to meet with Oiler management to discuss possible fit. That was with the Chiarelli regime, however, so things could have changed significantly.
That's intriguing. I'd still worry that what he's really doing is cultivating interest so he can get more cash.

It's a bit of a bad time for anyone in the league to be wanting a 3-4 million AAV raise. The issue becomes that the teams that can afford it might not be the ones he wants to play for.

I still think he wants to stay in Jersey

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I think Taylor Hall sees what this team needs in the top six. I can see him coming in between 9 and 10.

If Nuge is our fourth best top six offensive player, we're suddenly in a great position, regardless of who is where. We have someone for the second line if you wanted to stack the top line.

We load up the top six and can show that off and suddenly the veteran bottom six UFA options are probably far more interested.

Playing for a Holland run team with McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall and Nuge for offense? I can see your veteran cup chasers seeing that as appealing. Especially with how Bear keeps proving himself.
And impressively so, that's home grown. Wow we sucked for a long time.

Worst part is... We're doing all of this without Larsson right now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm looking at Mikael Granlund as a potential 2nd line winger that might come in at a lower cost due to his lack of production in Nashville.

When he was playing his best hockey in Minnesota, he was a 60-70 point guy who played all situations and was capable on the faceoff dot. Was 13th in Selke voting one year.

I'd be scared to throw money at him.

Something seems way off with him. He's 15th in scoring on the Preds right now.

Reactions: Homesick and frag2

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Russell, Benning, and Chiasson would have to be moved out. All doable. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Nygard and Haas, and Benson will no longer be waiver exempt next year, so that’s half your bottom 6 on cheap deals. Add in that with a loaded top 6, the bottom 6 would get max 18 min combined between the two lines. Bear has made the team. Bouchard is going to be on the team next year. Along with Larsson that’s your right side. Nurse and Klefbom are on the team, so you’d need a bottom pairing left dman and a #7. If not Jones and Lagesson, other cheap options. You spend where you need to spend, and you fill out the complimentary pieces with cheap deals. That’s where the league is going.
Yep, move out those 3 guys and it's perfectly doable. Add in that a Pulju return could probably get us a decent young 3rd liner on an ELC and we would be fine.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yep, move out those 3 guys and it's perfectly doable. Add in that a Pulju return could probably get us a decent young 3rd liner on an ELC and we would be fine.

Along with that, I was thinking it'd be a good idea to get Persson on the PP, pump up his value and be ready to trade him in the offseason. I really like the player, but I think he's obviously just keeping that spot warm for Bouchard. Basically make the reverse of the Kahun for Maatta trade.

Adding Hall and a couple of decent, young 2nd/3rd liners from Pulju/Persson trades while keeping basically the same D core(Persson/Russell out, Bouchard/Jones in) would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Finnish check; Forward check
No thanks :laugh:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Along with that, I was thinking it'd be a good idea to get Persson on the PP, pump up his value and be ready to trade him in the offseason. I really like the player, but I think he's obviously just keeping that spot warm for Bouchard. Basically make the reverse of the Kahun for Maatta trade.

Adding Hall and a couple of decent, young 2nd/3rd liners while keeping basically the same D core(Persson/Russell out, Bouchard/Jones in) would be pretty awesome.
That’s actually a good idea. Persson expires as an RFA?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd be scared to throw money at him.

Something seems way off with him. He's 15th in scoring on the Preds right now.
Bad fit. Granlund has a healthy resume of solid production and he's had no significant injury history. He's coming off of a 3 year $5.75m contract. Maybe he's willing to go down the same road on his next deal. Short term to keep the cap number up.

I would feel more comfortable making a move like that and having flexibility elsewhere to improve at 3C and beyond.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I disagree. Hall is a player that lives with his speed With age, I aint see Hall keep his skating.

But there is actually some things that speaks for Hall coming here.
He knows the team, the town. He knows Nuge, even if its a step down from Hischier.
Edmonton has a promising future with a proven Manager. Very important. This speaks volumes for Hall wanting to come here.
The manager values experience, and gives the best contracts to those.

But personally, I dont see Hall as a ++, as two 5 million, or even two 4 million wingers would be. Really!
We already have some Hall-types on this team. I prefer a mixed skillset.

The center is starting to take a healthy state with Haas. And now when Jurco and Chiasson failing, we need two real wingers. I want two Good players, than one Sometimes best in the leauge winger. I think its better for the team.

Reactions: McDraekke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad