Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What else would it take to get Point? A centre core of Fefe/Point/Little/Lowry would be unstoppable. I would give up Trouba + something significant for Point.

There is no realistic trade in which they trade Point imo. He's their Scheifele, perhaps even a better version of Scheifele.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
What else would it take to get Point? A centre core of Fefe/Point/Little/Lowry would be unstoppable. I would give up Trouba + something significant for Point.

We are not getting point.

I think better targets from Tampa would be Cirelli, Gourde or Johnson in a package involving Trouba. From other teams i don't know maybe Trochek from Florida or Athanasiou from the Wings. No idea on value or who is adding or even if those teams would listen on that. Of course if we trade Trouba for a centre may want to add something in to try and get at least a depth D or prospect D man. Or re sign Chairot and Myers and add in Niku and hope we stay afloat. Or you just trade Ehlers or Connor for a top 4 D later.

Reactions: irunthepeg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Except at Jacob's age Buff was nowhere near as good. Plus Dmen tend to take longer to develop. While I love Buff his best years are probably behind him. Jacob's are just starting and he will most likely continue to get better.

I can't believe how quickly people turn on their heroes. This team owes a lot of its success to the big guy. He has carried below average top 4 defenseman for years, because in my estimation we didn't see Toby in his best years, but his twilight. Benny is nowhere near a top 4 defenseman. Imagine what a young player like Samberg or Niku could do for Buff's career, as he regresses. He is still a guy that no one wants to go into the corner with, that's a unique characteristic for a defenseman. Protecting his receeding speed would be wise, but he still has some good hockey left in him. I'd be upset if we lost him before his contract was up. That would almost go against the family mentality of True North. I like our leadership group a lot. Wheeler, Buff, Little are your family guys. Scheif, Morrissey, Lowry and Copp are mature hockey players. I think it's time to let Myers and Perreault go, because you can do a lot with nearly $10 million in cap space, in their place. It's the 2nd tier that I want to see progress. Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Roslovic, Appleton, Niku. These are the next leaders who aren't at the level of consistency that the vets are. Throw in Samberg, Veselainen, Stanley in their development, and maybe a surprise player like a Skylar McKenzie. I think the goal should be to get the best possible return on an asset like Trouba, who isn't committed to the Jets organization (family), and keep the building blocks of success in place. Unless it is a deal that improves the team. I have hard time believing that this team would be better without Buff, the playoffs gave me no indication of that either.

Last edited:

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
You can't learn from mistakes if you just call them dead horses - or pretend they never existed.

The fact is that that was a possible solution that would have been available if we had adopted a different philosophy.

Honestly, I've seen people posting about this guy's for what feels like a year and continually bringing it up. Hence why the horse is dead. Can't change the past and it doesn't matter what any of us learn from it because were not even remotely close to being anything close to a decision maker.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Duke749

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How about Dobson and a 1st to send JT to NYI?

Islanders have a lot of UFAs and I can see them being very active this offseason.
I think the isles are set on the right side for the near future, and they'd never part with Dobson I'd think. He'll fit in nicely when Boychuk is gone and have him and Pulock as top 4rhd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Additionally Friedman has been reporting that Tampa is really hot for Ristolainen. Surely if Tampa is in the market for an expensive RD, Trouba is an infinitely better option than Ristolainen even-though he might cost 1.5-2 million more.

We will never get Point but maybe Tampa would be interested a Trouba for Cernak + Cirelli or Trouba for Sergachyov + Cirelli type trade?
Tampa needs to move cap to sign Point idk how theyd fit trouba at his demands on top of that

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
By sending us a small cash dump. Who we'd be fine with after moving Perrault, kuli, Myers, chariot...
all their guys have some sort of NMC or NTC other than JT miller (his starts on July 1). Idk if they'd waive to move from Tampa to here.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
all their guys have some sort of NMC or NTC other than JT miller (his starts on July 1). Idk if they'd waive to move from Tampa to here.
So TB Will age out of contention unable to move anyone cool. After all I can't imagine Minnesota, Calgary would be any better.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
With Tampa have a disappointing post-season, I hope that we can work something out with them that benefits both teams.

Wouldn't you rather work out a deal that benefits the Jets and hoses the Bolts? That's what every GM would try to do.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Not sure that would be the first change I would try. Right up there though. Wheeler does a great job as PP1 is designed now, but everybody has figured out how to defend it. So it needs to change.

PP1 needs Buff’s presence in front of the net creating havoc because nobody else on the team is consistently willing to go there.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How about Dobson and a 1st to send JT to NYI?

Islanders have a lot of UFAs and I can see them being very active this offseason.
Isles would not put Dobson on the table for a soon to be ufa.
Isles refused to add him to the offer for an extended Stone. Lou balked at Fl's demand of Sorokin +1st for Hoffman later saying he has a plan in place and this season's unexpected success will not change that plan.
Trouba has zero ties to LI. Zero interest in the soon to be ufa.

Lehner says he wants to stay. Press says the hold up on Lee's extension is term. Lee wants 7/8 seasons and Lou wants less. I expect the isles to blink and give him what he wants.

Isles reportedly have interest in Panarin/Duchene/Skinner. If Lou strikes out on the ufa market, maybe some thing around Ehlers for Leddy?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Additionally Friedman has been reporting that Tampa is really hot for Ristolainen. Surely if Tampa is in the market for an expensive RD, Trouba is an infinitely better option than Ristolainen even-though he might cost 1.5-2 million more.

We will never get Point but maybe Tampa would be interested a Trouba for Cernak + Cirelli or Trouba for Sergachyov + Cirelli type trade?

I think either of those would be good for both sides. We might have to add a bit. Obviously there would be a cap concern for TB that could be worked out with additions, but I think that base works for both. Cernak is no slouch and looked good against the Jackets.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Daley had two pretty solid seasons coming out of back to back Cup winning teams in Pittsburgh playing 19 minutes a night and then went to one of the worst teams in the league. I think he still has enough in the tank to play for a contender for another season, as he only has one more year on his contract anyways, and in a year where we might have to temper our expectations a bit anyways.

I'm not interested in what a 35 YO player did 2-3 years ago. I'm wondering what, if anything he will have left for next year. How was he this year? Will he be as good as the other options we already have there? I expect Poolman will be better at 3RD than Daley. But I really don't know.

I'm not yet ready to accept tempering my expectations for next year. I'll go into next season with lower expectations than I started this with. But I will hope for better than what this year ended up at. I'm still hoping to at least get out of the first round next year.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not interested in what a 35 YO player did 2-3 years ago. I'm wondering what, if anything he will have left for next year. How was he this year? Will he be as good as the other options we already have there? I expect Poolman will be better at 3RD than Daley. But I really don't know.

I'm not yet ready to accept tempering my expectations for next year. I'll go into next season with lower expectations than I started this with. But I will hope for better than what this year ended up at. I'm still hoping to at least get out of the first round next year.

I think it will be tough to make playoffs next year. Dallas and Colorado both trending up. St. Louis and Nashville aren't going anywhere, though the Blues season will largely hinge on Binnington continuing to play well. Chicago narrowly missed and a full season of Strome and DeBrincat together could make the difference. No doubt they will go hard in FA as well. Minnesota really the only team trending down and they kicked our ass this year.

If we lose multiple players while injecting more youth you can bet we won't be as good as we were in 2017/18 season. If we can keep it together and everyone plays well I think we can compete for sure and maybe be a more well rounded team than this season. Far from a lock though. Could easily be a WC team next year.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1 RW would just be flipping Laine and Wheeler so that is not a concern. 2C in two years, maybe three I agree with. Little is a 2C based on his production in the first 3/4s of the season.

Buff might still be a top-15 RD league-wide in 2 years. As of right now, he is in the top-15 overall league-wide. A short-term contract might be a suitable option for him when the current deal is completed. After that, yeah, it could be tough to find that top pairing RD.

Based on the hype, perhaps Samberg can be a top-pairing RD even though he shoots left in 3 years time? No reason a guy who projects as a shutdown D-man can't play 1st line minutes.

Could go that way. I won't even say it is unlikely. I'm not suggesting Wheeler will fall of the proverbial cliff. He might, or he might not. Given the last 2 seasons, I'll go with not for 2-3 years. That swap should have been made this year already.

Buff looked slow to me at times after coming back from injury. Maybe he still wasn't 100%. But if he loses speed he won't remain in the top 15 in the league.

I think Little's production needs to be better with the wingers he has been playing with. He's lost a step. Chevy has spent heavily replacing him at the TD 2 years in a row. He is in decline now. We just have to hope it isn't too steep.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it will be tough to make playoffs next year. Dallas and Colorado both trending up. St. Louis and Nashville aren't going anywhere, though the Blues season will largely hinge on Binnington continuing to play well. Chicago narrowly missed and a full season of Strome and DeBrincat together could make the difference. No doubt they will go hard in FA as well. Minnesota really the only team trending down and they kicked our ass this year.

If we lose multiple players while injecting more youth you can bet we won't be as good as we were in 2017/18 season. If we can keep it together and everyone plays well I think we can compete for sure and maybe be a more well rounded team than this season. Far from a lock though. Could easily be a WC team next year.

Agree, not a lock. But I'm waiting to see what Chevy does before I accept a lottery ticket.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't want Hayes back and we can't afford him. Tanev is a high priority to sign IMO before he hits July 1st. Only way I keep Myers is if Trouba is dealt. Myers sounds like he really wants to be here so we may be able to get him cheaper then we think.

I don't think Myers will take a 2-3 mil/yr discount to stay. I don't think Chevy's offer would be that low either but it should be. Myers for 3 years for 9-10 mil would be OK. But he will get both more term and more AAV, by quite a bit. He might stay here for 5x5 but that would be awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad