Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We had the D to win it all with a healthy lineup this year. The team was literally one goal away while our two best players were playing through injuries.
With a little luck we got to game 7 and lost by one goal, that doesn't make our current defence good.
We had the D to win it all this year? Arguably only need to improve on Ceci.
So who do you like, Broberg? Yeah right. We don't have the defense corps to win a Stanley Cup.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
With a little luck we got to game 7 and lost by one goal, that doesn't make our current defence good.

So who do you like, Broberg? Yeah right. We don't have the defense corps to win a Stanley Cup.
Where were you during the historic run? Seems as soon as we lost you cropped back up with a bunch of told you so’s that don’t even align with reality.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
There is a rather large headache heading our way. In just over 36 hours we can sign Bouchard and Leon to new deals. Leon could be looking at 12+*8 and Bouchard 9*8. I think that could be holding things up. We can not sign players for multi year deals unless there are for 1mil like with our back up I am sure the oilers have some idea of what each player maybe asking and that maybe tying our hands. Oilers can not over spend during the UFA season and we need to shed some cap.

Whomever the new GM is going to be he/she(there are a couple of women that are predicted to be GMS someday) they need to be dynamic.

I blanked on the fact Jeff Jackson played over 200 games in the NHL in the 80's
Servalli, who basis his player values off of analytics company, thinks Bouchard will come in at 10M and Drai at 14. I keep saying it- Oilers can only keep one of Nurse or Bouchard.

Reactions: McDoused

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Sure- but that’s not the way Knob coaches and not the way the Oilers play. Rishaug asked him numerous times about the physicality in the playoffs and Knob said something along the lines that he wants the team to check with their legs and if the hit is there, take it, but don’t chase it. The myth around “tough guys to keep players honest” died a long time ago. Instigator rule took care of that.
Well knob is not doing what he says because they barely even take the hits that are there. Rookie head coach did well but arrogance like not making his team hit in the playoffs is gonna lead to a couple great playoff runs, no cup, and no job. The Woodcroft hat trick.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Interesting. I was close to advocating to trade Kane throughout the season, but stopped short because I wanted to see what he could bring in the playoffs. He brought some value in the playoffs, but also hurt us. Overall, not good enough.

Now there are reports he didn’t take his training seriously. At 5M, it’s time to move on.

Now I wonder if this is the cap freeing move Bob hinted at.
I said to trade him at the beginning of the season and TDL and everyone jumped down my throat

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Florida's defense didn't look amazingly better than ours at any point and they won a cup.

Move Ceci for someone better. Puck mover to help lower lines score more imo. Bouchard can't be the only offensive dman.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I said to trade him at the beginning of the season and TDL and everyone jumped down my throat
Well ultimately we did need his playoff warrior factor through the first 2 series. He helped neutralize Z according to guys in the room. He ended up helping. But I don't think its too crazy to have considered trading him during the year. There was iffy play throughout with him.

Reactions: foshizzle

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Florida's defense didn't look amazingly better than ours at any point and they won a cup.

Move Ceci for someone better. Puck mover to help lower lines score more imo. Bouchard can't be the only offensive dman.
I don't think the Panthers were all that either. The media sure did. That's all that counts these days.

Servalli, who basis his player values off of analytics company, thinks Bouchard will come in at 10M and Drai at 14. I keep saying it- Oilers can only keep one of Nurse or Bouchard.
Seravalli pops his head out of Bettman's asshole, Draisaitl signs for 14M. 8 more years.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
A whole lot of blocked posters seem to be back lurking about now that our very positive run has come to an end, tons of quoted messages in this thread I can’t see who are being responded to.
I sure wouldn't want you to read anything that contradicts your thought.

Wait, it was you that jinxed it?!

And you're in here bashing the team??

(Lol I'm kidding, if that's not clear)
I feel horrible that they lost. I won't get over it soon.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Huh. I would have thought by now we’d have done more than sign Pickard and trade for a late 1st.
I kinda wonder if Jackson’s agent mentality plays into that a bit. I’ve heard some people before saying that they like leaving draft day to the kids drafted to spotlight them, so especially as a former agent I could see him having that mindset. They probably even have another couple extensions agreed to just waiting until tomorrow to announce.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Statistically this is not true in literally any category except for like a two-three game sample size where Ceci was hard sheltered during the playoffs and before broberg came in for Desharnais.

Across the previous three playoffs runs and regular seasons (read - 99.9% of the body of works) the numbers are starkly the opposite. So...

Are we supposed to know who Holtz is?
I still like to use what's called the eye test. I know many ppl can't comprehend that.

Ceci got massively burned on his own in the corner which lead to his scratch. That was on him. What stats won't show is how many times Nurse lobbed pucks at him in terrible situations. After that tho...

Ceci was much better at breaking up cycles. The last game in particular dude was extra solid in the corners.

In these playoffs his plays were more clutch than Nurses, goals and apples and down low battles

Look no further than to see how last game Nurse flubbed 2 routine passes that f'ed up odd man rushes, meanwhile Ceci assisted the tying goal

I'm not claiming he's some hero mind you, but actually watching the games you can see he was not the victim some make him out to be. Away from Nurse the dude was TOTALLY serviceable. Nurse literally handcuffed him in MANY plays with the ridiculous reverses and no logic passes ignoring streaking forwards

And if you want to talk sample sizes, please check out nurses playoff sample sizes. he's pure junk. Hence why his icetime dropped under a coach who recognized that but was handcuffed with him on the team

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
We don't have the D to win it all with a healthy lineup.

If the Oilers don't revamp/retool, upgrade several slots on the backend, we are writing off another season.
LOL. They were 1 goal away, and a post away. What nonsense are you spouting this time?

Your takes always have 10% logic

Last three seasons Florida has won a Presidents Trophy, made it to the SCF and then won the SC.

You have a high bar for what constitutes a good team I think.
He said they were massively overated. The poster doesn't know hockey. He has made that clear over and over with his posts. he posts to hear his own voice. Little has to do with fact or logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad