Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They'll have $13.9m available (actually, I guess 12.9 with Pickard in the fold) if they buyout Campbell to sign a couple of their own guys to 4th line money and cheap RFAs. They can fit a top 6 winger in for next season and then some assuming that Henrique is gone, it's the seasons after that where it gets complicated if they go multi-year
13.8 mill for a minimum of 6 forwards and Broberg. That doesn’t include any extra skaters. Janmark, Brown, Broberg and Holloway will take up 3.75 and then 1.5 mill for an extra D and forward. So 8.5 mill. Say we pay 4.5 mill for a guy like him that leaves 4 mill for a third line winger and a 3c, not enough.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
13.8 mill for a minimum of 6 forwards and Broberg. That doesn’t include any extra skaters. Janmark, Brown, Broberg and Holloway will take up 3.75 and then 1.5 mill for an extra D and forward. So 8.5 mill. Say we pay 4.5 mill for a guy like him that leaves 4 mill for a third line winger and a 3c, not enough.

Your Oiler anxiety is off the charts dude. It will be okay.

We are a good team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Has there been any indications what an Arvidsson contract looks like?
He's 31, coming off a deal that paid him $4.25M, only played 18 games last year, though had 59 points the year before.

Probably between $4-5M per

Because he's falling out of favor in Philly, I wonder if Nurse for Couturier might be something to explore?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Leafs looking to sign Tanev to 6-7 years? Lol, no way. His last contract which was signed when he was 4 years younger was fair (4 years $4.5m). 6-7 years for this 34 year old band aid would be seriously hilarious.
The way I look at it is the Leafs have effectively peaked and backed themselves into a corner trading most of their picks and good young players, so this is an effort to extend the peak and by offering more years than anyone else you try to get the AAV down so you jam pack the roster as best you can for the next couple years. It's a rob Peter to pay Paul kind of move that hamstrings the next GM when the roster invariably starts declining.

What I will say is unique about Tanev is he has gained a reputation for being one of the best mentors a young D could ask for, so even when he's overpaid in years 4 through 6-7 he's still an asset in helping training up the next batch of Leafs D.

This isn't me saying it's a smart move, but it's an understandable move when you are coming from a place of desperation to get more out of this core group.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
He's 31, coming off a deal that paid him $4.25M, only played 18 games last year, though had 59 points the year before.

Probably between $4-5M per

Because he's falling out of favor in Philly, I wonder if Nurse for Couturier might be something to explore?
2 of the last 3 years he has been injured. I would be curious to know if the Flyers would do that deal but would Nurse waive his NMC? The problem with NMC are that once the player says no--there is nothing but bad blood between the team and the players and 99% of the times fans back the team cause they want said player gone

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
2 of the last 3 years he has been injured. I would be curious to know if the Flyers would do that deal but would Nurse waive his NMC? The problem with NMC are that once the player says no--there is nothing but bad blood between the team and the players and 99% of the times fans back the team cause they want said player gone
I think it would be fine, Nurse's uncle is Donovan McNabb, so that might give him so cred I Philly. And I know Couturier has had health issues, but he was also a healthy scratch down the stretch last year, so I wonder if each player could stand a change of scenery

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
I think it would be fine, Nurse's uncle is Donovan McNabb, so that might give him so cred I Philly. And I know Couturier has had health issues, but he was also a healthy scratch down the stretch last year, so I wonder if each player could stand a change of scenery
The issue is Couturier is 31 and signed for 6 more years and has the injury problems. One of the main reasons people want to move Nurse is to free up money. For me Couturier comes with as many problem as Nurse does. I can see oiler fans turning against Couturier very quickly. Also he would be the 3rd line Center on the oilers and 7.25 for a 3rd line Center?

I would also hold off on the trade till we sign Leon.##Edit** I just realized Couturier last until he is nearly 38! WE all know where this will end up... We can LTIR or something!

Last edited:

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
Huh. I would have thought by now we’d have done more than sign Pickard and trade for a late 1st.

What else could we do? We have 15 players signed with 9.033 in cap space. We will have more once we buyout Campbell. The problem we have is we do not have many picks next year and the great debate is how good are our prospects? None of them have me popping my cork in celebrations. We need to grinds on the open market.

Do we have a new GM yet or is Jackson the defacto GM?

Thomas Tatar

What else could we do? We have 15 players signed with 9.033 in cap space. We will have more once we buyout Campbell. The problem we have is we do not have many picks next year and the great debate is how good are our prospects? None of them have me popping my cork in celebrations. We need to grinds on the open market.

Do we have a new GM yet or is Jackson the defacto GM?
I mean, there were rumours of Brown getting 2 years. Signing him or Janmark would be a start. Not sure why that’s on hold. I get moving Campbell is likely not possibly, or trading Nurse. But cleaning up a few UFAs would be good.

Reactions: McDrai and McDoused

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
I mean, there were rumours of Brown getting 2 years. Signing him or Janmark would be a start. Not sure why that’s on hold. I get moving Campbell is likely not possibly, or trading Nurse. But cleaning up a few UFAs would be good.

It all comes down to money. We have no idea what they are asking for and the fact we did not sign any of them concerns me.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Regardless of Nurses cap hit we still need him. If there’s a stretch where Ekholm is injured then we’d be royally F’d if Kulak or Broberg are our top 2 LD.
We don't have the D to win it all with a healthy lineup.

If the Oilers don't revamp/retool, upgrade several slots on the backend, we are writing off another season.

Reactions: McHelpus

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
Yep, a little concerning. Maybe Jackson is putting most of his efforts into the GM search.

There is a rather large headache heading our way. In just over 36 hours we can sign Bouchard and Leon to new deals. Leon could be looking at 12+*8 and Bouchard 9*8. I think that could be holding things up. We can not sign players for multi year deals unless there are for 1mil like with our back up I am sure the oilers have some idea of what each player maybe asking and that maybe tying our hands. Oilers can not over spend during the UFA season and we need to shed some cap.

Whomever the new GM is going to be he/she(there are a couple of women that are predicted to be GMS someday) they need to be dynamic.

I blanked on the fact Jeff Jackson played over 200 games in the NHL in the 80's

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We don't have the D to win it all with a healthy lineup.

If the Oilers don't revamp/retool, upgrade several slots on the backend, we are writing off another season.
We had the D to win it all with a healthy lineup this year. The team was literally one goal away while our two best players were playing through injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad