Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I have said this a few times now but it really is a mystery to me how Holland and company thought that Campbell was a worthwhile long term $5M risk.
He wasn't.

You get one team to take on 2 mil for 3 years. That's around a 2nd round pick. That leaves three years at 3 mil. Throw in a prospect and pick and it's done.

No 6 years of pain. I mean, seriously, if I was Drai's agent and saw the Oilers go to the old tried and not true buyout path, I'd advise him to be gone. That's 6 mil dead next year followed by 2.3 and then 2.7. Those are 8 million dollar players at the deadline.

That kind of winger would look good on Drai's wing.

Reactions: foshizzle

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Irreverent post. I’m here to read thoughts by Oilers fans that have the best interests of the team in mind.

Tell me this player deserves to play on our team while receiving middle six minutes. Go on. In my opinion if you advocate for this guy staying here you are part of the problem. Especially at his salary.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
He wasn't.

You get one team to take on 2 mil for 3 years. That's around a 2nd round pick. That leaves three years at 3 mil. Throw in a prospect and pick and it's done.

No 6 years of pain. I mean, seriously, if I was Drai's agent and saw the Oilers go to the old tried and not true buyout path, I'd advise him to be gone. That's 6 mil dead next year followed by 2.3 and then 2.7. Those are 8 million dollar players at the deadline.

That kind of winger would look good on Drai's wing.
To be fair the whole team was excited for the JC signing most players praised it right away. Nobody would have thought he would fall off a cliff in year one. If the players were on board they can’t use that as an excuse as you propose here.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
what’s better Nurse and no cap saving or no Nurse, 7 mill of savings - a guy who can play those minutes for less?
So 6 years of dead cap space on top of the 6 years of dead cap space from the supposed Campbell buyout.

They are already at 5.5 mil dead cap space for this coming season. Maybe they can hit 8 or 9 if they retain and buyout? Then it would go around 5 mil dead cap space for the few seasons after that.

You never get dead cap space back. You can always trade for picks or players. You can't trade away dead cap space.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I wonder if Jeff Skinner would be willing to take a 1 year mercenary deal here to go for a Cup. That Buffalo contract already set him up for life even with the buyout and I doubt he'll get another big >5 million dollar long-term deal from now on. Could be an interesting option next to Leon with his speed and scoring ability.

Reactions: McDoused

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Holland left the next guy with some extremely hard decisions to make.

Since Holland created a buyout proof deal, along with massive overpay and NMC for Nurse's contract, he probably left the biggest pile of garbage that any Oilers GM has left behind, plus Campbell.

The cost to replace is almost a no-brainer for both these guys. Broberg + a solid 4-5M RHD is probably better than Nurse + Broberg on his off side. a 5M D + Nurse's 2.3M retained is 2M cheaper than Nurse's contract. That's 2M to improve the team still.

Campbell, replacement is probably a league minimum backup goalie. You save 3.9M buying Campbell out. That's 3M extra to improve the team.

This needs to end with the current GM's decisions, but sadly, for now it has to continue because of the last GM's decisions. We could improve our cap situation by $5M with zero loss to performance if we could trade Nurse with 25% retained and buyout Campbell. Gotta find that RHD of course, so we better get a GM that can make moves like Zito did for Florida.
It doesn't end.

You have added 6 years of dead cap space. A significant chunk of dead cap space.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You can also say when Trouba is on his game, he's also better than Nurse by a mile. He's also been better for most of his career
Nurse has outproduced him at even strength year over year since Trouba went to NY. Trouba has been a second pairing D for some time now and outside of one outlier season, he's been struggling. Nurse has just recently had his role diminished and the playoffs were the first real signs of his struggles.

The Oilers need to prioritize a partner upgrade at RD over Cody Ceci. With Trouba, they're relying on one of Broberg or Kulak to pick up the slack that K'Andre Miller mostly couldn't.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I’m surprised how down people are on Vinny, like sure he had one bad giveaway on Benn and while injury hampered found it hard to keep up on the last leg of our cup run.

BUT, the dude played a year straight plus 2 playofff series of completely rock solid hockey. Bringing more offense and puck moving than you’d ever expect with a defence man of a Vinnys physical profile. In our own end he’s one of the biggest bastards that forwards in these league can face, he makes their jobs hard.

He (STILL) has some of the best defensive numbers in the league two years running... he might not be the best matchup in certain cases (although ironically he came 2nd in our "fastest skater" skills competition... which is surprise and granted favors straightaway speed), but he has a role to play in getting us to the playoffs and against playoff opponents with big/physical forwards.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder if Jeff Skinner would be willing to take a 1 year mercenary deal here to go for a Cup. That Buffalo contract already set him up for life even with the buyout and I doubt he'll get another big >5 million dollar long-term deal from now on. Could be an interesting option next to Leon with his speed and scoring ability.
I think the problem with him is he's always been more agile than fast and it seems like it's only got worse with age.

1719521218555.png

Being really slow and soft isn't a great combo.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He (STILL) has some of the best defensive numbers in the league two years running... he might not be the best matchup in certain cases (although ironically he came 2nd in our "fastest skater" skills competition... which is surprise and granted favors straightaway speed), but he has a role to play in getting us to the playoffs and against playoff opponents with big/physical forwards.
He’s a good defenceman. The analytics and eye test backs it up. I really don’t get the current view of him. Guess people just don’t want to overpay, which is understandable. But if it’s a fair market value for Vinny, why the hell not. He’s liked in the room, he’ll sacrifice and play his heart out, and he’s just plain hard to play against.

Reactions: bucks_oil and TB12

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
To be fair the whole team was excited for the JC signing most players praised it right away. Nobody would have thought he would fall off a cliff in year one. If the players were on board they can’t use that as an excuse as you propose here.
Players are not GM's. I'm not sure where you get the excuse part. I'm certainly not proposing one.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It doesn't end.

You have added 6 years of dead cap space. A significant chunk of dead cap space.

It has to be the end of giving terrible contracts. We allowed Holland to do it again, even worse. These were avoidable too, it's not like Sekera getting his knee blown up (we didn't actually have to buy Sek out either, he could still play like a ~3M D). It's like a triple dose of Lucic with Nurse and Campbell. Pro scouting of goalies completely failed us. Signing Nurse a year early and falling in love with his lucky year was ridiculous and another huge fail by our player evaluators.

I definitely would like more creative solutions to dealing with these players with trades. I have a hard time imaging an Oilers GM swindling another GM to move these guys. I'd be very happy if they did, of course.

Excluding the chance of a great trade being pulled off though, and the need to win now, I think you can make a much better team by eating some cap space (retained cap or buyout) moving these players. Campbell is just a complete waste of space, 4M of cap buried that will do nothing. Nurse is gonna give you a performance like a 3-4M D, at best, and that's only if you find him a perfect babysitter.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Players are not GM's. I'm not sure where you get the excuse part. I'm certainly not proposing one.
You said that a buyout of Campbell should be a cause of Concern for Leon’s camp. I’m saying the boys all thought it was a good signing and most were super excited about it. Everyone was wrong and holding the team hostage because everyone was wrong is not something I think he would do.

Reactions: TB12

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Reading HFoil these days makes me think we really need to bring back lobotomies.

The Joshua contract is hilarious, it’s basically the Kassian deal Holland got lambasted for except more money and includes a ntc. They basically signed at the same age but at least Kassian had more of a track record in the league. Joshua is a career AHLer who had a decent season at 28 years old while shooting 21% on a team on a PDO darling where basically everyone had a career year.

When he regresses there’s going to be a lot of spin about how he doesn’t need to score to be valuable. Probably right up until Alvin ships him out with another second round pick to get rid of him so he has space to sign the next bad contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad