Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I genuinely think Nurse could look like a 7-8m D-man on a team like Utah. Especially if he gets top pair minutes in a market without pressure. The fresh start would be good for him
I was looking over moving Nurse, if no other reason than his cap hit.
A buyout is only good for next year but the cap hit following would eat up two years of cap increases for a number of years after 9+mil.

So a trade of keeping 50% would open up another 4.5+mil.
This might be the one single deal to create the most cap space other than being able to trade him outright.

Dras, well I would hate to see that but this will be his last big contract and with his reputation there will be teams with enough cap room to pay him McDavid money.
Is it time while the team has McDavid to try for a blockbuster trade for the #1 overall pick this year? Celebrini is certainly not Dras, he is a unicorn but what if they could get multiple 1rst's?

Combined with a Nurse trade the amount of cap space might be enough to really hunt big game in trades or FA's.

This year had a really good team, hate the cap but it is what it is, Moving Nurse and Campbell might be enough to keep the band together, mostly.

Good luck, not much time for any of this thanks to the schedule maker

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
The timeline for Broberg and my opinion of him went from him being one of my favourite prospects ever watching him at Hlinka. Then in the last two years feeling he would never make the show, to seeing him playing with confidence in the SCF and knowing he has top pairing guy written all over him.

All it takes is confidence sometime. That was what was holding him back, he played like a timid coward in the NHL. Everyone looks bad when they play like that. Props to the AHL group and Coffey for getting our guy to start playing like a man. His skating is beautiful.

Hell, I remember watching Skelleftea in the playoffs and he started the year top pairing. In the playoffs he was their 7th D barely getting any minutes. Utter collapse. Now three years later he is looking like he might be the best defenceman on the club into next year with a big more strength and cockiness.

My point in this is that we've seen Nurse become wholly neutered. No confidence man, same as a few other casualties. Ceci being one of them. You see these guys at their peak moving the puck confidently and then a bad string of games gets to them and sometimes they never recover.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I was looking over moving Nurse, if no other reason than his cap hit.
A buyout is only good for next year but the cap hit following would eat up two years of cap increases for a number of years after 9+mil.

So a trade of keeping 50% would open up another 4.5+mil.
This might be the one single deal to create the most cap space other than being able to trade him outright.

Dras, well I would hate to see that but this will be his last big contract and with his reputation there will be teams with enough cap room to pay him McDavid money.
Is it time while the team has McDavid to try for a blockbuster trade for the #1 overall pick this year? Celebrini is certainly not Dras, he is a unicorn but what if they could get multiple 1rst's?

Combined with a Nurse trade the amount of cap space might be enough to really hunt big game in trades or FA's.

This year had a really good team, hate the cap but it is what it is, Moving Nurse and Campbell might be enough to keep the band together, mostly.

Good luck, not much time for any of this thanks to the schedule maker
SJ isn't trading Celebrini unless its in a package for McDavid or Bedard, which obviously isn't happening.

The sharks are still a long ways away. Drai would be slowing down by the time they're competitive. Mac can grow with the team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Man...I havent been in this thread for a while and I come back and see multiple posts about a potential Nurse trade?

200.webp
Interesting thought but color me skeptical no matter who the new GM is.

If you were an opposing GM (and most of them aren't afraid to hurt other GMs feelings) would you take on the Nurse contract even if the Oilers retained 50%?

On another note I think that Ryan will probably go down to Bakersfield to finish his career and possibly be recalled in injury situations. It might be a good move for the Oilers because he could provide some experience down there and possibly help the younger guys to develop. It does seem odd that none of the better prospects from the last few years seem to be on an NHL path.

WRT Lavoie, time to either give him a shot (pun intended) with the big club or let the guy move on somewhere else. He's not going to get any better in the AHL.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hypothetically though, would either party do something like 8 years x 2M per for Vinny?

I think 16M is probably more total money than he’d get in any other deal and the 2M cap hit would be manageable for the Oilers, even if it is for 8 years.

I don’t think so. 8 years is a long term for a mediocre skater with the game increasing in speed annually. My guess is maybe 2M x 4?

• Haha
Reactions: Zerotonine

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Interesting thought but color me skeptical no matter who the new GM is.

If you were an opposing GM (and most of them aren't afraid to hurt other GMs feelings) would you take on the Nurse contract even if the Oilers retained 50%?

On another note I think that Ryan will probably go down to Bakersfield to finish his career and possibly be recalled in injury situations. It might be a good move for the Oilers because he could provide some experience down there and possibly help the younger guys to develop. It does seem odd that none of the better prospects from the last few years seem to be on an NHL path.

WRT Lavoie, time to either give him a shot (pun intended) with the big club or let the guy move on somewhere else. He's not going to get any better in the AHL.
You would take Nurse at 50% no questions asked if you your D was weak. Especially the way the cap is going up. Us giving him up at 50% is a horrible play. We can negotiate better than that if we are moving on. Come on...

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
You would take Nurse at 50% no questions asked if you your D was weak. Especially the way the cap is going up. Us giving him up at 50% is a horrible play. We can negotiate better than that if we are moving on. Come on...
I'm not saying it will happen --I don't think he will be traded but if you were an opposing GM what would you be looking for in terms of retained percentage before you do the deal?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm not saying it will happen --I don't think he will be traded but if you were an opposing GM what would you be looking for in terms of retained percentage before you do the deal?
What if you have to consider is that isn't about what WE see in Nurse. It's about what another team see's in him.

The way contracts are going, if a team see's him as a top 3 physical option, they could do a deal to cut his contract down to 7m

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Just do the analytics and pro scouting work to identify a partner that can complement what Nurse brings, and then acquire him. Both Pietrangelo and Ekblad had suffered through seasons where they were much less effective defensemen than their prime. Finding them the right defensive partners covered up a lot of their warts enough for them to be impact players again. Nurse could benefit from the same strategy being applied by Oilers management.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I've been an Oilers fan and posting on this board since I was 11 years old. Back in 2006.

I'm a diehard, been here through everything and although we may not agree on what I'm seeing vs. what you're saying, it does bother me to have my support for the team questioned.

I see a totally different Draisaitl talking about totally different priorities than even Henrique, Janmark etc. In response to Spector he says 'well when you put it THAT way' -- with implications that Spector is missing half the story. The factors at play such as location, family, money. We've seen better players than Draisaitl hightail out of here or refuse to play here.

He has been a loyal soldier and great player since we drafted him, but to think there's no chance of him wanting to experience something different now that he's spent what should be half his career in one location is unreasonable. His comments at the presser did nothing to assuage this fan personally.
You have 148 posts in 18 years??? I’m gonna call BS on that one bud. :laugh: Anyway time will tell on Leon but I’m not worried

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I've been an Oilers fan and posting on this board since I was 11 years old. Back in 2006.

I'm a diehard, been here through everything and although we may not agree on what I'm seeing vs. what you're saying, it does bother me to have my support for the team questioned.

I see a totally different Draisaitl talking about totally different priorities than even Henrique, Janmark etc. In response to Spector he says 'well when you put it THAT way' -- with implications that Spector is missing half the story. The factors at play such as location, family, money. We've seen better players than Draisaitl hightail out of here or refuse to play here.

He has been a loyal soldier and great player since we drafted him, but to think there's no chance of him wanting to experience something different now that he's spent what should be half his career in one location is unreasonable. His comments at the presser did nothing to assuage this fan personally.
okay duul

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Hypothetically though, would either party do something like 8 years x 2M per for Vinny?

I think 16M is probably more total money than he’d get in any other deal and the 2M cap hit would be manageable for the Oilers, even if it is for 8 years.
8 years, no thanks, that is not a win for the Oilers. Shorter deal at a smaller number hopefully

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think you let Desharnais go, everyone likes him but do we think he's a better player than someone like Stetcher, who could possibly come in at a million bucks? This team needs to sign bottom of the lineup players to bottom of the lineup contracts. Broberg finally grabbed that spot, unless you're moving Ceci, you can't keep Desharnais as a 7d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad