Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
@Fishy McScales @5 Mins 4 Ftg

You guys laugh now but it’ll be even funnier when he actually does it.

Toronto needs defensemen and it’s a former Oiler to boot. That checks all the boxes for Tre lol.

Oh for sure he is going after VD and / or Haakanpaa from Dallas. Remember The Destroyer of Calgary wanted VD in the Lafferty deal last year and Holland wouldnt do it, ergo Lafferty went to Vancouver.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hypothetically though, would either party do something like 8 years x 2M per for Vinny?

I think 16M is probably more total money than he’d get in any other deal and the 2M cap hit would be manageable for the Oilers, even if it is for 8 years.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Hypothetically though, would either party do something like 8 years x 2M per for Vinny?

I think 16M is probably more total money than he’d get in any other deal and the 2M cap hit would be manageable for the Oilers, even if it is for 8 years.
I think the risk of it becoming dead cap, real or virtual, over an extended timeframe is too great.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009

please no... no way... please - a defenceman that is scratched in the POs (I like him) should in no way get an an 8 year

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I might entertain 6 x 1.5 for Vinny. The reality is that he's a bottom pairing guy.

He is the perfect candidate to get overpaid by a team with a lot of cap space. Teams I could easily see giving him 2.0-2.5m AAV and 3-4 years: Utah, SJ, MTL, PIT and CHI.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He didnt specifically say Nurse but he said Tuesday I believe right at the end about expecting a surprise move. Nurse skipping out on the requisite end of season press grilling and given he wears a letter, that to me is telling. As I have said, I would not be surprised if Nurse wants out, and I believe someone said earlier in the thread Bobble said something to the effect of him waiving his NMC. I havent listened to todays round table but interested to hear it.

I do believe that Nurse is tired of the media attention he gets. He also cannot be happy with his greatly reduced role and criticism in the media near and far for not earning his salary. He doesnt appear to think he has any issues with how he has been playing but his lower minutes, +/- and the number of own goals he scores on the team tells a different tale.

I think he cant take the heat in the Oilers kitchen and believes he is still the best cook around. Wouldnt surprise me in the least that he's spoken with JJ and said he wouldnt mind a fresh start elsewhere.

That said, we have to move Nurse if we want to resign the big 3 in the next 2 years. I cant see a world where we can retain Nurse at his current level of play.
Ah got it, thanks! Will have to try to find that. I listen to Lawton & Saravalli sometimes Friedman which is my quota.

I found the Garbage Day format kinds weird this year with much more limited availability. Agree it was strange that an assistant captain wasn't there but Kane, Bouchard, Ekholm as well. Might be as simple as an exceptional long year and only immediate, relevant peeps - majority of leadership group and free agents to be. No management either with it so close to NHL Draft weekend.

McDavid, Draisaitl and team were all really quick to jump to Nurse's defense. They've also been critical of media questioning that tie his performance to the contract. Wonder where they stand on importance of Nurse to their locker room and team on-ice. That's a big consideration with a Game 7 team and its two elites coming up for contracts.

Without question Nurse has to be tired of the negative media attention and fixation on the contract. He is a mentally strong person but who knows if it is or has reached a breaking point. He holds the cards with his contract control. Such a competitive person I'm not sure if he runs from this situation but definitely have a hard time seeing him go to a bad team just to escape.

Clearly see the team's value in moving the contract (maybe less so the player). I think Nurse can deliver reasonable value with a reset in the right setting. How he feels about his situation in Edmonton and moving on from this team is the big unknown.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
No he did not. Kind of expected in that he hasn't played in a while.

Hope he's not pissed off for not playing in the Finals. . Guy is touchy about his ice time. We don't need that BS sideshow now so deal with it if that's the case.
We desperately need a healthy Kane. To either play him as a top six power forward or to showcase him.

Personally I'm in his corner. I know he can play a heavy intimidating game while scoring over 20 goals next season if he gets surgery.

There is no one who can replace that internally within the organization. That's a fact. Those counting on Holloway or Lavoie to replicate what Kane can bring are out to lunch.

Holloway and Lavoie are likely candidates as a Foegele replacement and I would not be shocked if Foegele returns if no one offers him 3M.

It would be beneficial to keep the Janmark Henrique Brown line together. That should take precedence. The Oilers have a difficult time putting together effective third lines and they finally have one.

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
He didnt specifically say Nurse but he said Tuesday I believe right at the end about expecting a surprise move. Nurse skipping out on the requisite end of season press grilling and given he wears a letter, that to me is telling. As I have said, I would not be surprised if Nurse wants out, and I believe someone said earlier in the thread Bobble said something to the effect of him waiving his NMC. I havent listened to todays round table but interested to hear it.

I do believe that Nurse is tired of the media attention he gets. He also cannot be happy with his greatly reduced role and criticism in the media near and far for not earning his salary. He doesnt appear to think he has any issues with how he has been playing but his lower minutes, +/- and the number of own goals he scores on the team tells a different tale.

I think he cant take the heat in the Oilers kitchen and believes he is still the best cook around. Wouldnt surprise me in the least that he's spoken with JJ and said he wouldnt mind a fresh start elsewhere.

That said, we have to move Nurse if we want to resign the big 3 in the next 2 years. I cant see a world where we can retain Nurse at his current level of play.
Could be Kane.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
My predictions:

Oilers sign Arvidsson
Janmark, Brown re-signed
Ryan waived and sent down
Ceci traded
Campbell bought out

I do wonder if Ryan just retires after he collects his signing bonus after July 1. Similar to Smith, Keith etc. that was always my impression why he got a 2 year deal but who knows. Been no murmurs of him retiring.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Flames, Leafs, Canucks?

Or is it Kings?

And I don’t mean Leon
I've been an Oilers fan and posting on this board since I was 11 years old. Back in 2006.

I'm a diehard, been here through everything and although we may not agree on what I'm seeing vs. what you're saying, it does bother me to have my support for the team questioned.

I see a totally different Draisaitl talking about totally different priorities than even Henrique, Janmark etc. In response to Spector he says 'well when you put it THAT way' -- with implications that Spector is missing half the story. The factors at play such as location, family, money. We've seen better players than Draisaitl hightail out of here or refuse to play here.

He has been a loyal soldier and great player since we drafted him, but to think there's no chance of him wanting to experience something different now that he's spent what should be half his career in one location is unreasonable. His comments at the presser did nothing to assuage this fan personally.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
As much hate as Ceci gets, I am not sure that VD is any better than him. I honestly think its just easier to keep Ceci for 1 year than give VD a bloated contract. Only way I see VD back is if he wants 1.75x2 or something. Hes probably just better getting paid somewhere else. Foegele is similar.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I've been an Oilers fan and posting on this board since I was 11 years old. Back in 2006.

I'm a diehard, been here through everything and although we may not agree on what I'm seeing vs. what you're saying, it does bother me to have my support for the team questioned.

I see a totally different Draisaitl talking about totally different priorities than even Henrique, Janmark etc. In response to Spector he says 'well when you put it THAT way' -- with implications that Spector is missing half the story. The factors at play such as location, family, money. We've seen better players than Draisaitl hightail out of here or refuse to play here.

He has been a loyal soldier and great player since we drafted him, but to think there's no chance of him wanting to experience something different now that he's spent what should be half his career in one location is unreasonable. His comments at the presser did nothing to assuage this fan personally.

I got that vibe from Draisaitl as well, especially in his response to Spector, almost alluding to the fact that he has considered other options. He does like to troll Spector though so perhaps that was Drai’s intention with that response :laugh:

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I got that vibe from Draisaitl as well, especially in his response to Spector, almost alluding to the fact that he has considered other options. He does like to troll Spector though so perhaps that was Drai’s intention with that response :laugh:
This guy is one of the leaders on this team. He's still under contract all of next year. He could have easily said 'my heart is here and I want to find a way to stay here'.

The distance he separated himself from that intentionally is concerning.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Man I feel bad when people hate Nurse’s guts like he’s evil or something. He’s still a good player. Just not worth his contract and had a playoff this year
Nurse is a great player and in even better teammate. It's crazy the hate he is getting and continues to get. I almost feel like oiler fans are sick of hearing about it in the mains so they just Jump in and follow suit. Sure he is over paid but not like say Campbell is 🤣🤣

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
As much hate as Ceci gets, I am not sure that VD is any better than him. I honestly think its just easier to keep Ceci for 1 year than give VD a bloated contract. Only way I see VD back is if he wants 1.75x2 or something. Hes probably just better getting paid somewhere else. Foegele is similar.
I'm kind of hoping they move on from Ceci, Kulak and Desh.

Bring in a legit #2RD and a veteran ~$1M #3RD to pair with Broberg on the third pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad