Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Pro-active management of homegrown talent. What an innovative idea. haha ;)

Even the worst management in league history would have done everything possible to sign a sure bet like Neighbours.

Not going to debate subjective opinions of Broberg. Good organizations prioritize development and have a plan to onboard their homegrown talent.

All due respect, but that's a bit disingenuous considering "subjective opinions" (based on "potential") are what get unproven prospects signed or not signed.

Reactions: North

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Is there anything you can present besides emojis to prove otherwise?
You go first. Im not the one saying shine is better then Gibson.

Gibson stars haven't been great the last few years. I put that in part of being mentally checked out in Anaheim....

Skinner right now is 59th in save percentage at .851

And he is 55th in gaa

That is bad bad.......

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Even the worst management in league history would have done everything possible to sign a sure bet like Neighbours.

All due respect, but that's a bit disingenuous considering "subjective opinions" (based on "potential") are what get unproven prospects signed or not signed.
The Oilers had a summer plan that included young bluechip homegrown talent that showed well under diamond cutter playoff competition. Unfortunately their plans were altered August 12 when the market assigned different values based on the potential and belief in the players. Hard personnel choices have consequences.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Lavoie’s girlfriend is a Montreal based Twitch streamer who recently moved to Vegas. And Vegas just happens to claim Lavoie.

YuliaTTV.

Interestingly enough the Oilers Instagram account liked one of her IG posts from before haha.

Don’t ask me how I figured this out lol.

• Haha

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
I think Lavoie’s girlfriend is a Montreal based Twitch streamer who recently moved to Vegas. And Vegas just happens to claim Lavoie.

YuliaTTV.

Interestingly enough the Oilers Instagram account liked one of her IG posts from before haha.

They must have figured her career would be more successful, and he 'forced' a 'trade' onto the Henderson Silver Knights. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Cloned

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He's much more proven than our 2 were and he wasn't a pouty little bitch like Broberg was.
Oilers, specifically Holland, treated him like garbage, I don't blame him for wanting out

he just wanted a chance and he showed it in the playoffs last year and so far this year

it's all good, we are accruing cap space and playing Nurse on the right side

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

North

Jun 25, 2009
Pro-active management of homegrown talent. What an innovative idea. haha ;)
Text Holland and let him know.

Not going to debate subjective opinions of Broberg. Good organizations prioritize development and have a plan to onboard their homegrown talent.
They did try to onboard him several times.

He didn’t show anything until this past season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
Oilers, specifically Holland, treated him like garbage, I don't blame him for wanting out

he just wanted a chance and he showed it in the playoffs last year and so far this year

it's all good, we are accruing cap space and playing Nurse on the right side
How did he treat him like garbage?

I can’t take some of these posts seriously.

Shit I let myself get sucked in.

Seriously can we create a Whine About Broberg And Holloway thread for the posters who can’t let it go?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Text Holland and let him know.

They did try to onboard him several times.

He didn’t show anything until this past season.
I'm not the one who brought up Broberg. My original reply to the Neighbours signing was tongue in cheek: "Pro-active management of homegrown talent. What an innovative idea. haha ;) "

I've said my piece on Broberg's development extensively. He shares accountability for his uneven development and a yo yo team trying to lurch into contender status had to upgrade its mediocre defense with a series of trades, Keith, Kulak, Ekholm, that stacked the development path at LD and we've seen the challenge of d-men playing their offshooting side, notably Kulak deferring the team need in playoffs.

Far too much sensitivity and strange feeling by some posters to defend the Oilers management who got caught this summer and had to react with a fallback plan when the market valued the team's two NHL ready bluechip young players differently. Their fallback plan is a significant challenge with a platoon of #7-#8 journeymen and an unproven guy playing too high in the line-up.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How did he treat him like garbage?

I can’t take some of these posts seriously.

Shit I let myself get sucked in.

Seriously can we create a Whine About Broberg And Holloway thread for the posters who can’t let it go?
by bringing him up than letting him rot in the press box for several games last year...and the year before
there was NO PLAN in place for him and eventually he get fed up with the situation

EDIT: all this talk about them will die down once the Oilers start playing good and Broberg cools off

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
by bringing him up than letting him rot in the press box for several games last year...and the year before
there was NO PLAN in place for him and eventually he get fed up with the situation
He was given several opportunities which he couldn’t take advantage of. You keep rewriting history though.

The press box thing I agree was a problem but to be clear Bouchard dealt with that too and didn’t behave like a whiny little baby about it.

And that’s the last thing I’m writing about this repetitive nonsense.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The Oilers should call Utah, and see if there's a deal.

Nurse($1.25M retainted), Akey and STL 2nd for Valimaki and Shea Weber.

Put Weber on LTIR, with Kane, then call Toronto trade Emberson and pick for Liligren

Go

Ekholm - Bouchard
Valimaki - Liligren
Kulak - Stetcher/Dermott
You always come up with some of the worst proposals in this section .

Reactions: North

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He was given several opportunities which he couldn’t take advantage of. You keep rewriting history though.

The press box thing I agree was a problem but to be clear Bouchard dealt with that too and didn’t behave like a whiny little baby about it.

And that’s the last thing I’m writing about this repetitive nonsense.
Not sure why you need to characterize the player as whiny. He took the AHL demotion and ran with it. Stepped up for team need in deep playoff run and helped with quality support play on his off-shooting side (after not playing for a month). He was praised by coaching and leadership for so doing.

Bouchard's situation was entirely different. He earned the benefit of the doubt to replace a smaller, uni-dimensional veteran d-man on an elite PP run by McDavid and through the Barrie trade gained an elite stabilizing top pair veteran partner.

Oilers management had a roster plan that included Broberg up to August 12 when they got caught by the market valuing their talent differently and a team with opportunity open roster to provide consistent minutes in Broberg's case on his strong side (where his results have been solid) and with a quality veteran partner to help mitigate wobbles which will happen in all young d-men. Just like Bouchard's situation.

Unfortunately the Oilers management post August 12 contingency plan has a hole at the critical 2RD position and a PK that's currently underwater. The team will right itself through its early underperformance in all facets of their roster. But the defense is a problem area with more quality assets required to fix it to be a competent Cup Final level group.

The organization ultimately made its roster decisions and choices. They've got work to do. We'll wait and see how they utilize cap space and limited assets to get this team back to the Cup Final.
I'm reasonably hopeful this management group can get it done.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You always come up with some of the worst proposals in this section .

I mean I guess. It seems like you might believe the players the Oilers have are more valuable than they actually are.

Nurse will cost assets to move in any case, and Valimaki can absolutely play Nurse's minutes.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

EDIT: all this talk about them will die down once the Oilers start playing good and Broberg cools off
Agree on the latter point. Everything seems to be enflamed with the Oil poor start and Broberg's fast start. Both situations will normalize.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
This organization has never prioritized development and still don't. They've always chased unicorns and rainbows mostly whiffing and have never as long as I've been a fan prioritized internal development.
The late 90s, early 00s Oilers did but they had financial restraints so they had to trade their youth. Other than that, it's been a black hole of virtual nothingness. Look at their drafting record over the last 35 years, it's amazingly atrocious and some of their hits were traded or lost (Broberg and Holloway in the most recent case) and flourished elsewhere.

If they didn't win the McLottery and get lucky with Draisaitl, this would be the worst organization in the NHL. Still early for the new regime to come to any conclusions about them but not a great start thus far.
I don't see a development issue with the Holland regime, relative to the talent we got to work with I think they've generally developed fairly well in the AHL and I think the bitching about the players we lost is some evidence of that. For example players like Desharnais, Kesselring, and N. Philp (late round picks or an undrafted player) with no huge standout talents rarely emerge from poor development programs.

The more legitimate issues are poor drafting under Wright a clear downgrade on what we had before; also the core of the issue that people seem to be griping about is a mixture of:

1) The inability to keep young talent
2) Not giving young talent more NHL opportunity
3) General frustration from drafting/developing young talent and not reaping the rewards of it

Also I'm not sure why one would presume luck in drafting Draisaitl, a huge chunk of the hockey community and this own base wanted Sam Bennett instead, can you not concede that sometimes the organization just does things right?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You go first. Im not the one saying shine is better then Gibson.

Gibson stars haven't been great the last few years. I put that in part of being mentally checked out in Anaheim....

Skinner right now is 59th in save percentage at .851

And he is 55th in gaa

That is bad bad.......

Okay,

Skinner has had better

- SV%
- SV% above expected
- goals saved above expected
- low danger SV%
- low danger SV% above expected
- medium danger SV%
- medium danger SV% above expected
- high danger SV%
- high danger SV% above expected
- wins above replacement

Your turn? (keep in mind we're not in 2018 anymore)

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

YuliaTTV.

Still hunting for dates I see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad