Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I really think getting Kostin back would cover a large part of the Holloway loss. He can score in our system and is more physical, can fight, likes the city, has speed, former 1st round pick and is still only 25 years old for a team that has too many 30+ players and the cost of reacquiring him wouldn't be that high.

For a team that's let multiple 20 somethings walk out the door, what's wrong with getting one back that we poached from another team that actually worked out?

Also asking Evander Kane to come off like 6 different surgeries to step back into the roster and do all the physical stuff right away (he may not even be back until the playoffs pretty likely), isn't exactly fair either.
Kostin sucks. Would I like to see him as a filler piece if he made 1M? Sure, that's your 12th forward taken care of, who adds toughness to the lineup and has a heavy shot. He isn't a difference maker on an AHL club.

Broberg is a first pairing defenseman... right now. Broberg is a first pairing calibre defenseman and he's only going to get better. What were we trying to accumulate cap space and trade for at the deadline... a second pairing defenseman?

No club with Stanley Cup aspirations give away 23 year old first pairing defensemen for nothing.
Who are some RHD candidates to pair with Nurse long term? Ideally we pull off something similar to the Ekholm trade and get a solid RHD for 3+ years out of the deal.

Stop trying to find Nurse a partner... put that hockey blunder on the third pairing already. Nurse should be an afterthought now. He's our 9.25M musclehead.

We lost Broberg because he was the wrong handed shot to play with Nurse... because Nurse can't play hockey. That's not the way to construct a hockey club in a sensible world.

Whomever you were responding to is on my naughty list so I didn’t see all the expletives but if we’re having to put into an HFOil swear jar now then I’m royally f***ed.
Did your proctologist ever remove those D&D figurines?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Such a classic dumb take! Never change HF. Guess if he was a good ol' canadian boy it would be different.
Nothing substantive to offer instead of insults. Never change Kolja.

Cool

Take your number with all the other whiny babies. This place is a hole
Seriously. The hilarious thing is a lot of these guys hyping Broberg now were calling him a bust a year ago.

There is a lot of revisionist history going on with regards to the player.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Nothing substantive to offer instead of insults. Never change Kolja.

Seriously. The hilarious thing is a lot of these guys hyping Broberg now were calling him a bust a year ago.

There is a lot of revisionist history going on with regards to the player.

I really hate doing this but I’ve started to use ignore a lot more liberally as it’s likely going to get worse before it gets better (unless some sort of moratorium on those posts happen / open a “whine here” thread).

I understand people are frustrated and they have a right to be (even if I feel it’s still far too early to make a judgement either way), but hearing about it every other post has made HFOilers unreadable of late

Agree, the worst part is the revisionism. I was actually more hopefully optimistic about the player than a lot of those posters, but now I could care less about him as he’s not an Oiler and the way he left brought a sour taste

Reactions: North

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I really hate doing this but I’ve started to use ignore a lot more liberally as it’s likely going to get worse before it gets better (unless some sort of moratorium on those posts happen / open a “whine here” thread).

I understand people are frustrated and they have a right to be (even if I feel it’s still far too early to make a judgement either way), but hearing about it every other post has made HFOilers unreadable of late

Agree, the worst part is the revisionism. I was actually more hopefully optimistic about the player than a lot of those posters, but now I could care less about him as he’s not an Oiler and the way he left brought a sour taste
good.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And yet the Rangers have exactly as many as we have. Skinner needs to be better but you’re not going to win many games with the worst offense in the league.

The Rangers don't have a McDavid. If the Oilers would actually commit to having a good goalie to go with McDrai, they'd likely have a Cup already.

I frankly don't care much about a 6 game sample size regarding our offense, obviously it will improve.

Skinner is who he is, he's not going to be much better I don't think. If his game is going to take some giant step it should be happening right now, he's still the same guy letting in the same kinds of goals with a terrible high danger save percentage. He just can't make those bigger tier saves. I don't think he has that kind of ability, him and Pickard are about equivalent goalies, Pickard likely better in a few areas.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009

This. I was someone who thought we just had to be patient with Broberg.

He was always meant to be a project.

The only issue I had with how we handled him was leaving him in the press box for so long but let’s not forget that Bouchard also dealt with that too.

Broberg was given several opportunities to solidify a role and he couldn’t.

When he was finally showing signs of progress he was already pissed off and wanted out and made sure he got out.

I’ve been exercising the ignore button recently too because honestly I’m not interested in reading some of the hypocrisy and engaging with it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kostin sucks. Would I like to see him as a filler piece if he made 1M? Sure, that's your 12th forward taken care of, who adds toughness to the lineup and has a heavy shot. He isn't a difference maker on an AHL club.

Broberg is a first pairing defenseman... right now. Broberg is a first pairing calibre defenseman and he's only going to get better. What were we trying to accumulate cap space and trade for at the deadline... a second pairing defenseman?

No club with Stanley Cup aspirations give away 23 year old first pairing defensemen for nothing.

Stop trying to find Nurse a partner... put that hockey blunder on the third pairing already. Nurse should be an afterthought now. He's our 9.25M musclehead.

We lost Broberg because he was the wrong handed shot to play with Nurse... because Nurse can't play hockey. That's not the way to construct a hockey club in a sensible world.

Did your proctologist ever remove those D&D figurines?

Kostin fits here, different role players simply fit better on different teams. He was scoring at a 20 goal rate here and was taken in the 1st round, skates fast, and is physical, only 25 years old.

I mean alright fine, lets get someone way better, but also be prepared to pay like way, way more for maybe 25 goals instead of 20. Kostin could likely be had for cheap, just have to find a 3rd team to retain a few hundred K. Why not buy low on someone who has a good chance of outperforming the contract for once.

We passed on Tkachuk, Barzal, Aho, DeBrincat, etc. Broberg is a walk in the park, and he's playing no.4 in St. Louis still. The management teams here suck at drafting/development it isn't exactly breaking news.

Nurse say what you want about him has been *a lot* better since Stetcher moved onto his right side. He's playing at least as well as he ever did with Ceci, probably better.

Defensively 5 on 5 they've been solid the last 3 games (3 goals allowed total in those 3 games, 1 of them being a goal Ekholm put into his own net, so a fluke). Awful special teams and a lack of scoring from our top 6 is the reason we're 2-4 instead of 4-2.

Reactions: Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Kostin fits here, different role players simply fit better on different teams. He was scoring at a 20 goal rate here and was taken in the 1st round, skates fast, and is physical, only 25 years old.

I mean alright fine, lets get someone way better, but also be prepared to pay like way, way more for maybe 25 goals instead of 20. Kostin could likely be had for cheap, just have to find a 3rd team to retain a few hundred K. Why not buy low on someone who has a good chance of outperforming the contract for once.

We passed on Tkachuk, Barzal, Aho, DeBrincat, etc. Broberg is a walk in the park, and he's playing no.4 in St. Louis still. The management teams here suck at drafting/development it isn't exactly breaking news.

Nurse say what you want about him has been *a lot* better since Stetcher moved onto his right side. He's playing at least as well as he ever did with Ceci, probably better.

Defensively 5 on 5 they've been solid the last 3 games (3 goals allowed total in those 3 games, 1 of them being a goal Ekholm put into his own net, so a fluke). Awful special teams and a lack of scoring from our top 6 is the reason we're 2-4 instead of 4-2.
I stopped following the draft after the Oilers passed on Tkachuk. Why even follow it? It's stupid.

It didn't matter who the management group was in Edmonton. They were never going to draft Tkachuk. And I still supported Puljujarvi. And I still do. But enough is enough.

What will you have to say if Broberg is better than Bouchard by the end of the year, your first swear word?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad